Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house

Before I go to an architect, I am trying to sketch a new house plan
    Is 120 sq. Ft big enough for guest bedrooms?
    Small closet
    Are bathrooms 10x12 big enough?
    That would include a walk in shower and potty closet.

Thanks.

BP

Im planning on a house right now and 10x10 is about the bare minimum for a bedroom. Anything over that should be ok. Im looking at 12x12 for my bedrooms.

Bathrooms do not need to be that big. A simple kids bathroom can be done 5x8 with the tub or shower on the 5' wall.

Last..you need a home designer, not an architect. An architect is way too expensive for most builds. They usually charge 6-10% of your build costs. A home designer can be $.50-1/sqft of living space.

Comment

This ^^^. Just received our house plans today. Paid .35 cents a square foot from a designer in the valley.

Comment

We added on to our house and put big rooms in and I am so glad. They are huge. Each room is 16x20. The bathroom is 10x10. Now I wish I lived in the new part and not the original smaller rooms.

Comment

My dad frames houses for a living. 10' x 12' is decent size for a bedroom but if budget allows you could make it a little bigger (not including closet). Bathroom would definitely be big enough.

Comment

Most of the houses we have lived in have had 12x12 guest rooms. Don't think I would want them much smaller than that. masters have really varied as to size.

Comment

Designer is ok like other said but be sure to have a structural engineer give it a once over for the framing as alot of homes now are being built with an open high ceiling concept leaving fewer load bearing walls toward the center. I think an engineered set of elevation plans is required per city regs depending on where u live and total Sq footqge

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                Designer is ok like other said but be sure to have a structural engineer give it a once over for the framing as alot of homes now are being built with an open high ceiling concept leaving fewer load bearing walls toward the center. I think an engineered set of elevation plans is required per city regs depending on where u live and total Sq footqge
                I dont know what its like by you, but in DFW, you dont usually need stamped plans unless you are over 10,000sqft. Most houses these days are being built with tply or whatever its called and passes code. They dont even sheet the houses with OSB anymore.

Comment

So whats a Normal large Master Bedroom, say one that could have a love seat sofa or something similar

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                    So whats a Normal large Master Bedroom, say one that could have a love seat sofa or something similar
                    When we built our house we wanted a big master bedroom. To be honest it's a waste of space. Wished I made a bigger living room since I spend the most time in it.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
                      When we built our house we wanted a big master bedroom. To be honest it's a waste of space. Wished I made a bigger living room since I spend the most time in it.

How big is your master br

Comment

I really don't know what is average but the mb in our barndo I am building will be 650sq ft with the bath included.

Comment

Thanks to all of you. Building in the brown co. looking at a 3 bed, 3 bath with large great room and 10' porch on two sides covered by same roof. So trying to save where I can.
                          Retirement home. Single story with maybe a loft.
                          Metal roof with some rock and cedar posts on porch.
                          Hope to avoid all the problems I heard building homes causes in a marriage.

Thanks again.

Comment

My master is 15x17, with a 10x12 closet, bath is probably 15x8

Comment

Working...
                            X