Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
    Just take your time ..its not a race...youll get it
    I don't know Dog, I'd give you odds that it breaks too.
    I think I'll try some maple if it does. They got it at the lumber yard.
    I haven't seen any Osage around here
    but the only way I can recognize it is when it's bearing oranges. Ill keep an eye out now though.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

How are the growth rings positioned in the board? More importantly, the last board?

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
        How are the growth rings positioned in the board? More importantly, the last board?
        They ran from one corner to the other diagonally on the ends and ran what looked like to me straight down the length of the board. I looked at least 30 boards before I found 3 that looked right. Of course I have no experience, just what I've read.
        All 3 looked that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
          They ran from one corner to the other diagonally on the ends and ran what looked like to me straight down the length of the board. I looked at least 30 boards before I found 3 that looked right. Of course I have no experience, just what I've read.
          All 3 looked that way.

How can I prevent string follow without backing the bow? Presuming I make one that doesn't break. [emoji28]

Comment

How can I prevent string follow without backing the bow? Presuming I make one that doesn't break. [emoji28]

Man, if I knew that answer, I’d use red oak more often. I’ve left em wide and thin, narrow and thick, and exercised the limbs extremely slowly while tillering slowly. They take set. I think it’s something about kiln dried lumber. Or maybe just oak. I’ve never tried heat treatment or heating reflex. I just could see that making it it more prone to breaking. I’ve often wondered about a Z splice in the handle like I would with Osage billets. Joining them with glued in reflex. Then again, if I’m gonna go through that much trouble, I’ll just get some Osage billets. Even if your bow takes set, it’s ok. Especially your first. They still shoot good. Just don’t have the cast it would have without it. Most importantly, don’t draw the bow past the weight you want when tillering. That will minimize it.

Comment

Red oak is tough. You have to go slow. I know a lot of places suggest board bows for beginners because they are cheap, but I know a lot of red oak board bows that ended up on the scrap pile by first time bowyers, while when we started guys with osage or quality hickory they got shooters. Maybe not pretty but shooters haha. I have actually never had a selfbow break but I think that's luck not skill.

Maybe post some pics of your tiller as you go and I am sure someone here can offer advice. Best thing I learned early was take a short piece of wood (I think 5-6" was what I used to use) and slide it along the bent limbs. Any flat spots show themselves immediately. Those are the areas that will get crysaling, hinges, break, etc.

Comment

Good luck with it Ron

Comment

Well I tillered it until it was getting below 40# so I quit. Not real bad I don't guess.

Comment

Well I tillered it until it was getting below 40# so I quit. Not real bad I don't guess.

I shot it a couple of dozen times and it did pretty good. Little bit of hand shock but not bad at all. THEN, I noticed this.

Comment

I shot it a couple of dozen times and it did pretty good. Little bit of hand shock but not bad at all. THEN, I noticed this.

Like Ken said, if I ain't breakin, I ain't makin! [emoji28][emoji28]

Comment

Tiller was really even. Notice how flat the upper limbs were. Meaning most of your bend was at the fades. Just so happens that’s where the crack ended up. If you get another one, think arch. Even flex through out the limbs. Please don’t think I’m criticizing your work, just adding suggestions. Also try to round the edges off smooth and remove the deeper tool marks before bending her too much. You may have, I just couldn’t tell from the pics.

Comment

Tiller was really even. Notice how flat the upper limbs were. Meaning most of your bend was at the fades. Just so happens that’s where the crack ended up. If you get another one, think arch. Even flex through out the limbs. Please don’t think I’m criticizing your work, just adding suggestions. Also try to round the edges off smooth and remove the deeper tool marks before bending her too much. You may have, I just couldn’t tell from the pics.
                          Didn't take anything as criticism, I really appreciate you giving me information. Whole lot better learning from you than by my bad experiences.
                          I think I'll get some maple to try next, from what I read it holds up a little better and costs very little more.
                          Thanks again

Comment

Around here maple is a little hard to find. I’d like to try it one time.

Comment

Around here maple is a little hard to find. I’d like to try it one time.
                              I just let my lease go other side of Menard. Usually go through Llano a dozen times a year. Probably go through there a few times this year. If I do I'll bring you some maple 1 x 2's. That is if I can find something decent.

Comment

I just let my lease go other side of Menard. Usually go through Llano a dozen times a year. Probably go through there a few times this year. If I do I'll bring you some maple 1 x 2's. That is if I can find something decent.

Was there a few weeks ago. Wife got an offer at the hospital but she didn't find any place she liked. Not many homes for sale around there.

Comment

Working...
                                X