Must Go Crossbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must Go Crossbow

So after almost getting killed by a distracted driver while riding my motorcycle, I still have 8 broken ribs and a broken clavicle. So after almost a year I took the bow out and have come to the conclusion that my Motorcycle and Bow Hunting days are over.

So with that said I am leaning to a Crossbow. What do ya have out there? Things to look for and avoid?

Compound or Recurve?

Reached out to the 2018 Best:
    Barnett
    Excalibur
    TenPoint

Budget is LESS than 1k

Help a Brother out.

Centerpoint 370 Sniper. Easy on your budget, quick to site in, and an absolute breeze to shoot. Deadly out to 40 i can say with certainty, l haven't attempted kill at a longer distance yet

Comment

If there’s a list of “bests” with Barnett on it, then that list was produced by Barnett or the maker of the list is a total ****ing moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        If there’s a list of “bests” with Barnett on it, then that list was produced by Barnett or the maker of the list is a total ****ing moron.
        Bahahaha You are prolly right.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
          Centerpoint 370 Sniper. Easy on your budget, quick to site in, and an absolute breeze to shoot. Deadly out to 40 i can say with certainty, l haven't attempted kill at a longer distance yet
          Nice Crossbow. So you like the Compound over Recurve?

Comment

I shoot a recurve right now but would switch to a easier cocking compound very soon

Comment

I'm with you brother. No motorcycle wreck but serious neck and back issues.

I have owned several crossbows. First and foremost, don't buy one that doesn't have an anti-dryfire mechanism. Telling you that from exlerience.

I would stick to the 350fps and under bows. Above that, in my experience, it gets pretty tough to get a broadhead to fly.

I like the Mission Sniper LT. It isn't the fastest, but it is easy to cock and is pretty quiet for a crossbow. I also like the concept of the recurve crossbows, but it takes a ton of poundage to get speed. Bowtech (Stryker) makes some reasonable poundage crossbows that still get good speed. With crossbows, I am a fan of less poundage (stress on the bow and shooter) and better efficiency.

Comment

Good advise

Comment

Recurve.....maintenance is nil and can be done at home if need be. Keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    Recurve.....maintenance is nil and can be done at home if need be. Keep it simple.
                    Excalibur Bulldog 380 recurve has my eye

Comment

There are several good ones out there.
                      Personally I like the Mission crossbows. You can change the string and cables yourself without a press.

Comment

I am pretty impressed with the Sniper 370. So far we have used the GoldTip Ballistics bolts and ... Rage heads.. Sorry that was hard for me to type. They have worked exceptionally well, even with extreme angle shots. I will say the bow is nice, but if you purchase it, you may want to look into a different optic. We are still using the factory sent optic, but only because I have not found something I really want to put on it.
                        That bow pack a solid punch and easy to use. HOWEVER, IF you wanted to simplify it, there are several short stroke recurve limb models that have great ratings as well.
                        My dad purchased a Wicked ridge ranger and has had no complaints thus far either, though the Sniper 370 WAY outperforms that bow with less cost.
                        Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you get back to enjoying the hunting world.

Comment

Hi Coker737:

Whether recurve or compound, you should check to make sure the crossbow will take a cranking device for cocking. If you type "crossbow" in the Search window, you should find a lengthy thread on crossbows with some really excellent advice and recommendations from TBH members written last year. Best of luck to you, and I hope you get well soon.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Excalibur. You can find decent used bargains locally and on ebay. They are simple, accurate, and easy to maintain.

cricman

Comment

I started out with a compound crossbow. Went through 3 bows before settling on Excalibur. I agree with above, just make sure you get one with anti dry fire. Crossbows are murder on bowstring servings. Changing strings and reserving strings is simple on Excalibur’s. I now own three models and love them. Besides, their warranty is unsurpassed in the industry. There are a lot of good deals out there on the Grizzly.

Comment

Working...
                              X