Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wow View Post
    Went through the busts in the 70s and 80s you could go up in the derrick and all you could see were drilling rigs. in 85 you lucky to see one. Most banks were the biggest car lots around.
    Yep, not a fun time at all. Rig count in Texas, if i remember correctly, went from 1500 drilling down to nearly nothing. Midland/Odessa was a ghost town with fields of rig equipment. I was working in S Texas, Zapata, and it shut down quick. Then the Savings and Loan crisis. That was not a fun time.

Save boys Save

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      May be good for some but I'll take a hard pass on the Ramsey stuff
      HMMMMMM

Hard to challenge what works and is recommended daily by wealth managers

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
        Yep, not a fun time at all. Rig count in Texas, if i remember correctly, went from 1500 drilling down to nearly nothing. Midland/Odessa was a ghost town with fields of rig equipment. I was working in S Texas, Zapata, and it shut down quick. Then the Savings and Loan crisis. That was not a fun time.

Save boys Save

I remember. My daddy was an oilfield superintendent. I was only 10 years old or so. It went from feast to famine!!! That why I don't hardly finance crap. Except just enough for my credit score.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          I remember. My daddy was an oilfield superintendent. I was only 10 years old or so. It went from feast to famine!!! That why I don't hardly finance crap. Except just enough for my credit score.
          Is kills me to finance anything also. I had to finally give in for a new durango for the wife. I figured I got my moneys worth on her old one, 200k miles on a 4 banger cavalier. I put several g's down but it still hurt me bad to sign that line for the balance.

Comment

The founder of our company, Edward Jones, used to say, "make hay while the sun is shining...but ALWAYS put some in the barn for rainy days."

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              The founder of our company, Edward Jones, used to say, "make hay while the sun is shining...but ALWAYS put some in the barn for rainy days."
              ...some words of wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                I was a mud logger and we had a meeting in Houston at a hotel. One of the oil men that met us there was telling me he had been a millionaire 3 times, he was working on the 4th time. 6 months later it collapsed. I wonder if he made it.
                Last edited by Rotney; 09-18-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Anybody remember Houston in the Late 80's. You could buy a 3 bedroom brick home for under $20K... I'm not talking about a old run down home, I'm talking about a 5 year old house of less. I remember buying a 19' Bass boat with 200 merc for less than a grand. It was crazy.

Comment

I just don' see how any one with a family of 5 can survive on less than 100K family income with current price of living.

Comment

I figured this out 30+ years ago and started putting 10% of my salary in the bank/market and haven't missed a month since--plus I've doubled up some months. That is the precise reason I only work enough today to pay hunting and fishing habits and the taxes on the house. If I go tomorrow, my military retirement goes too, but I've provided for the wife, and that gives me peace about not working.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                        Anybody remember Houston in the Late 80's. You could buy a 3 bedroom brick home for under $20K... I'm not talking about a old run down home, I'm talking about a 5 year old house of less. I remember buying a 19' Bass boat with 200 merc for less than a grand. It was crazy.
                        Yes I remember and this statement is very true, even thought hard to believe I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                          Which church? The wife and I have talked about attending but havent found one on the nights we're free.
                          Parker County Cowboy Church in Aledo.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            May be good for some but I'll take a hard pass on the Ramsey stuff
                            I didn't say mandatory adoption of his practices. But it does serve the purpose of taking ones head out of their butt in regards to money. People shoot holes in a lot of his stuff, but I believe if people would adopt a lot of his ideas this world would be a better place. It isn't for everyone but there are parts of it that everyone should practice.

Comment

Very good advice.

You forgot the part about many of them being contract labor and not having taxes withheld. Come April 15 they have spent every penny they have earned and are shocked to know they have to pay taxes on that money since they weren't having taxes withheld like W-2 workers....

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                                I didn't say mandatory adoption of his practices. But it does serve the purpose of taking ones head out of their butt in regards to money. People shoot holes in a lot of his stuff, but I believe if people would adopt a lot of his ideas this world would be a better place. It isn't for everyone but there are parts of it that everyone should practice.
                                I agree parts of it should be practiced by everyone but the sad part is that's the stuff that should be common sense. Of course my mistakes also made me smarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X