putting oats down before the rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

putting oats down before the rain?

I want to run and spread some more oats out before we get this rain tonight. Ive already prepared the plots and seeded them a couple weeks ago, but checked them this past Friday and didn't see anything coming up. I wouldn't have the time to scratch the ground at all, just wondered if I broadcast the seeds, and they get some rain will it work? It's just a small area, probably just about or under an acre total. Good idea or don't waste the time?

You can try. I always like some dirt over the top of big seeds.

Comment

I've done it with success over well prepared ground when expecting a good rain of at least an inch to drive the seeds in.

If you put the seed shallow in relatively dry ground it's likely just waiting on water.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      You can try. I always like some dirt over the top of big seeds.
      This is the better option. If you could simply drag a cedar fence post, 4x4 post or equivalent behind you're ATV it would make a world of difference.

Best of luck.

Comment

Crows ate a bunch of mine even after it was rained on. I ran out during my lunch break today and spread some more on the bare spots.

Comment

I went and put it out, then drove over it with my truck hoping to get good seed contact with the ground. Hoping between that and a decent rain tonight it'll come up!!

Comment

Working...
          X