Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is some good news. Some of the National Wildlife Refuges (which do allow hunting) are growing a tiny bit. The Conservation Land Trusts, will buy land adjacent to the Refuge, and then deed it over to the Refuge for management. Example is Cade Ranch, which will add 10,000 acres to the adjacent Anahuac NWR.

There have been a couple of big State acquisitions: Powderhorn Ranch, 17,351 acres near Port Oconner/Indianola will become a state park and State WMA. Up near Lubbock, 14,000-plus-acre Yoakum Dunes Wildlife Management Area is becoming a reality.

Disappointing that no part of the massive Big Bend Ranch acquisition was opened for hunting, but it is so remote anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post

Disappointing that no part of the massive Big Bend Ranch acquisition was opened for hunting, but it is so remote anyway.
      Living in Dallas, everything seems remote
      LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        I don't know what all can be done, but some of the issues with Richland Chambers might be worth being brought up.
        It needs to be addressed, I feel the people in charge of those partular WMA's are overly limiting hunter opportunity, they will come up with the BS that there was infrastructure damage due to the floods but none of the corp lakes cancelled hunting season and they had flooding during the same time period.
        Last edited by bossbowman; 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

If we had a group that was willing to help volunteer at these Corp Areas, that would be fantastic. We would need to open a channel of dialogue first.

After doing some research on how these areas are managed, if there are problems to address it would seem like there are two ways to go about it.

First would be to have a list of each hunting area in the state of Texas with contact information for the lake manager or entities responsible for the management of that area.

Second would be to find out who exactly funds these entities, whether that be at the state or federal level and compile a list of phone numbers and emails so we know who to contact.

My plan right now is to compile a list of local WMAs, CoEs and National Forests within Texas along with the issues facing each area. I will be posting this here, and on The Texas Backcountry Hunters and Anglers page as well. If you would like to help with the compilation of this list, please comment on here or PM me.

The Texas Backcountry Hunters and Anglers page that can be found here

I will be checking into other advocacy groups to see what all is available, but if there is nothing else I will move forward with starting our own group if necessary.
          Last edited by Kirby86; 02-03-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Link to COE lakes search:
            State: Texas (no kidding)
            Click 'Go'
            You can click on individual lakes for info and ph#'s

Last edited by Bigyummy77; 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Here is information on the Texas hunting program (THERE IS AN APP!!!)

Comment

Any chance of getting the NRA involved? I know this is mostly a bowhunters group but NRA has a lot of everything

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have my type 2 or public hunting lands book from last year. Would be a good list resource for wma's and national forests. Let me know if I can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I apologize for the delayed response! Gemini, that's a great point. I will look into that. So far my efforts have been aimed at BHA because they're the only one I've personally been affiliated with. But if we're going to come to these groups asking for help, we'd better have our ducks in a row.

Multiple people have offered to help compile lists and information. For organizational purposes I think we're eventually going to need to have a webpage to stockpile this info. TBH is great but doesn't exactly lend itself to that format. I took the search engine Bigyummy77 used and made a word document with contacts for each of the properties that allow hunting, but there isn't anything more than that currently.

Just so we don't have multiple working redundantly, here is a list of volunteers so far and what they're working on.

List of Volunteers so far

Ktex: list of COE properties that currently do not allow hunting

Rwkiel: organization, storage and display of data collected

Jbhunting39: list of national forests and wildlife refuges that allow hunting

What We still need

A breakdown of COE districts:
                    Issues facing each individual COE in Fort Worth District:
                    Issues facing each WMA unit:
                    Issues facing each NWR and National Forest land:
                    List of Texas WMA areas:
                    A Website:

If we can break these down into chunks like COE districts, WMA's by region, and NWR issues, then we can begin to prioritize which ones are in jeopardy.

What I am envisioning is a website that makes it easy for the every-day Texas public land hunter to know the relevant issues facing public land hunting and what he can do about it.

Now whether this is through a petition with signatures, sitting down with property managers and laying out data or by having our members call and voice their concerns I don't yet know. If we're organized, people will take us seriously.

There is a lot of work here. I am not experienced in something like this so if you have something to add or a category to add to please let me know. If you want to tackle a category, let me know as well.

Right now I'm just storing these lists in files on my computer until I can figure out what we would need to do to get a website with hotlinks going.

Thanks guys!

Comment

SIgn me up:
                      Apparently its only the District commander that has been holding us all back:

36 CFR Part 327 - RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

36 CFR 327.8 - Hunting, fishing, and trapping.

(a) Hunting is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.

(b) Trapping is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.

(c) Fishing is permitted except in swimming areas, on boat ramps or other areas designated by the District Commander.

(d) Additional restrictions pertaining to these activities may be established by the District Commander.

(e) All applicable Federal, State and local laws regulating these activities apply on project lands and waters, and shall be regulated by authorized enforcement officials as prescribed in § 327.26.

Comment

Kirby, 2 PM'S sent with a ton of info!

Comment

Its like the old saying goes...

"hunting will one day be a rich man's sport". With the increase in commercial and sprawling urban development us hunters are being forced out. It's sad, but with the only response to this dilemma being "contact your congressman" I feel our plight is falling on deaf ears. Perhaps the only way to save our precious hunting lands and way of life is to band together and start buying up land to create hunting preserves. If we wait on Uncle Sam to save our lands we will fall by the wayside and eventually hunting will become a thing of the past. Its a simple matter of population explosion vs hunting lands and this is a war we are on the verge of losing whether we as hunters realize it or not.

Comment

Good info from BHA :

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers is the voice for our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

Comment

As was given to me, this pretty much covers the list of properties.

Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine, the Outdoor Magazine of Texas: Editorial Information.

Justthrowit is breaking down the COE districts.

Our next step, which would be the biggest is to get a website up and running. We're in the process of figuring that out. Secondly is to have a meeting and prioritize short term, mid term and long term goals, and what issues take precedence.

Once we have that, then we can go through the issues facing each property. That is likely going to be the most intensive work, because its going to involve data and figures to help make our case.

Thanks for your work guys. I will keep you all posted.
                              Last edited by Kirby86; 02-08-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
                                SIgn me up:
                                Apparently its only the District commander that has been holding us all back:

36 CFR Part 327 - RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

36 CFR 327.8 - Hunting, fishing, and trapping.

(a) Hunting is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.

(b) Trapping is permitted except in areas and during periods where prohibited by the District Commander.

(c) Fishing is permitted except in swimming areas, on boat ramps or other areas designated by the District Commander.

(d) Additional restrictions pertaining to these activities may be established by the District Commander.

(e) All applicable Federal, State and local laws regulating these activities apply on project lands and waters, and shall be regulated by authorized enforcement officials as prescribed in § 327.26.
                                So who's the district commander for Lavon?

Comment

Working...
                                X