Let's Talk about Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Talk about Filters

What types are best??? What should everyone have in their bag? Post up experts.

Here's my hardware. What should I be using and for what application?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CANREBELXTIB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	24729328

Click image for larger version

Name:	ef70-200_28lisu_586x225.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	24729329

UV or Haze at all times to protect the front glass. I have a .9 neutral density that I've used to shoot waterfalls in order to reduce the amount of light coming in so I can use slower shutter speeds. I also twist on a circular polarizer when shooting landscape scenes where I want to knock down reflections (water) or get skies to pop.

Whatever you do, don't go buy a $10 filter to screw to the end of a lens for which you spent a ton of money. You bought a good lens to get good glass. Don't negate that by covering it with a cheap filter.

Comment

I have an ultraviolet filter on all my lenses. They are primarily for protection. I would rather scratch a $50 filter than a $1600 lens. I also occasionally use a polarizing filter, but that is it for me.

Beat me to it Casey

Comment

What about having a circular polorizer (nikon 77mm) and if I shoot a far off object (50 yards or further) My 80-400 at 400 will not focus. I take off the filter and shoot with my UV or straight glass and no problemo. I shoot close with 400mm no problems. What say you?

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
          What types are best??? What should everyone have in their bag? Post up experts.

Here's my hardware. What should I be using and for what application?

[ATTACH]32939[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32940[/ATTACH]
          I am going to go against the grain and say no filters at all.

Well, let me qualify that.

I occasionally use a split neutral density but that's all. I use it when their is a great deal of tonal range between the sky and the ground. Other that, I don't use any filters at all.

I wouldn't recommend putting a UV or Haze filter on for protection. The reason is that you bought the $1,700 70-200mm f2.8 is for its optical qualities. Therefore, to me, it never made sense to put a $30 filter made from inferior glass on front of your primo lens that will ultimately collect dust and dirt and ultimately compromise the image quality.

With that, I use the lens caps religiously and keep the lens hood on. You'd be surprised at how much the big lens hood will keep away from your lens. You'd also be surprised at how tough those Canon lenses are as well.

I take my stuff into some pretty extreme situations and don't have a scratch - or UV filter - yet.

Thanks!

Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
            What about having a circular polorizer (nikon 77mm) and if I shoot a far off object (50 yards or further) My 80-400 at 400 will not focus. I take off the filter and shoot with my UV or straight glass and no problemo. I shoot close with 400mm no problems. What say you?

Polarizing lenses cost you some light, so your camera isn't focusing well due to the loss of light. Is this in lower light situations? Is this a variable aperture lens?

Russell, I agree on the filter thing and went without one for as long as I could. I just knew I was going to bash up the front element so I took down some filters. I didn't get the most expensive, but I certainly didn't get the cheapest. Your comments make perfect sense. I've seen people throw $10 worth of glass in front of hundreds of dollars worth of lens. The same goes for the video cameras we all use around here as well.

I've always wanted to do the split neutral density thing but just haven't done it yet. Do you have several of these depending on situation, or do you typically find yourself using one in particular. If so, which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              I've always wanted to do the split neutral density thing but just haven't done it yet. Do you have several of these depending on situation, or do you typically find yourself using one in particular. If so, which one?
              Hey Casey,

I use the Cokin #125 Tobacco Graduated Neutral Density filter the most. I have a lighter tobacco filter but almost never use it.

The color is just a matter of preference as that is the one I like best.

Here is an example of that filter in action:
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't use filters, prefer the lens bare for my shoots and use my lens caps all the time except when I shoot. Between shots, the caps go on to cover.

I have a circular polarizer when I shoot through water. As it is with the eyes, it's the same in water....amber for off color and gray or blue for clear water.

Comment

Do they make a graduated ND filter that has the color change somewhere other than right in the middle? Not that I don't LOVE that saltwater flyfishing picture, Russell - it gets my blood boiling.

But are you confined to putting the horizon in the center of every picture when using a GND? I've seen the sets that have the large rectangular filters that can slide up and down in a holder that attaches to a lens. But does anyone make a regular round filter that just has the color offset one way or another?

Oh, and I shoot naked too (naked lens, that is).

Comment

Working...
                  X