No announcement yet.

selfbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't a very good picture but it is the best I have. This is an old English style D self bow with horn tips made for me by a friend. It was a true one piece self bow and I believe I shot it better than any bow I ever owned. I came in 11th at the Texas State Longbow shoot in the open class. That was before they had a self bow class. If you look just above the doe's head you can see a slight hinge. On a single digit morning the hinge gave way and that as they say was that.
    My friend made me another self bow more on the flat Indian style which I still have, just no pictures. I never shot it as well but I did kill a few deer with it also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	24326228

Comment

thats one heck of a hinge...but if you were going hungry it goes to prove it can be done with a less than perfect stick...id say it did its job!

Comment

Yeah, that hinge looks to be a bit more than "slight"!

Here is a pic of the only critter I have ever shot with a selfbow. The PH told me he did not think I could kill a warthog with that bow. After we recovered it, he told me he did not doubt my equipment any more!

Bisch

Comment

awesome!!! i love it when people doubt primitive gear..especially a bow!!!
          what was the weight on that bow...just curious??

Comment

It was right at 50# at my DL.

Bisch

Comment

although this years bow is 65# it does prove ya dont need a super heavy stick to bring down a tough hided animal...hope you get some meat quick with your fancy bow Bisch..so ya got time to get your real bow out !!!! lol

Comment

i really thought there would be more of us....hmmmmm.

Comment

I will use a selfbow, but not all the time.

Comment

I hope to put down a couple of slick heads with my AW selfbow this year. She is 47@28 and shoots a lot better than I do. I'll be letting loose cedars tipped with Ace 160 grain that will be razor sharp, not ready for a stone point just yet.

Comment

Me

Comment

I like the copperhead backing. Looks good. All of my longbows and recurves have glass so im out.

Comment

Working...
                        X