Pole Barn house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pole Barn house

Anyone live in one or built one? Pros/cons?
    The wife and I are looking at building one..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep. Living in one now.

Here is the thread on our journey over the last 10 months. If you have any questions I will be glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
      Yep. Living in one now.

Here is the thread on our journey over the last 10 months. If you have any questions I will be glad to help.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ht=Iowa+barndo
      Wow.. I just read thru the thread.. what a beautiful place and congrats on retirement! Some awful nice deer up there and 1500/acre almost makes me vomit.. the wife and I are fighting tooth and nail to locate something <20k/acre, and losing badly..

Couple questions. I seen you didnt go with the traditional burying the post below the frost line. Was that more of a geographical weather choice? Soil? Seems like the clay we would be setting post in would hold better than most areas, in addition to deep ground not usually getting that cold.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        Wow.. I just read thru the thread.. what a beautiful place and congrats on retirement! Some awful nice deer up there and 1500/acre almost makes me vomit.. the wife and I are fighting tooth and nail to locate something <20k/acre, and losing badly..

Couple questions. I seen you didnt go with the traditional burying the post below the frost line. Was that more of a geographical weather choice? Soil? Seems like the clay we would be setting post in would hold better than most areas, in addition to deep ground not usually getting that cold.

Being in construction and from Texas I couldn't wrap my head around burying the poles directly in the ground. Especially if I could not get to them if I had an issue. I decided to go with the Perma Columns on all columns inside the walls. I went direct burial on the porch and RV storage overhang. Morton Buildings have their own proprietary perma columns that they use on all their new buildings unless the owner prefers direct burial of the columns. We went with Midwest Perma Column. Here in Iowa there are many more metal buildings than in Texas and 95% of them are pole barns. There are just not that many metal frame buldings or builders up here. I am going to say 98% are direct burial. Perma Columns are kind of a new technique. My builder, who has built 100s of pole barns had never used them. He tried to convince me that I didn't need them, but I decided to go with them. The Perma Columns and direct burial poles (columns) still go down below the frost line (4 feet deep) and are bedded with crushed stone. Each has a concrete pad at the bottom that the base sits on. We also insulated the sides of our foundation with 1.5" rigid foam insulation to prevent heat low thru the sides of the slab and hopefully prevent frost heave.

Build on a foundation that will last. The innovative products from Midwest Perma-ColumnĀ® will change the post-frame building industry forever. Learn more!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X