John Deere Gator ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Deere Gator ???

I have the chance to pick up a JD Gator for cheap cheap. Here's the question...

It has ~600 hrs on it. Oil, filter, air filter changed every 50 hours. Plugs changed every 100. Barn kept and used to survey corn fields. Owned by the seed company a good friend of mine works for. I plan to use it as a cruise around lease, ride around the neighborhood with the boys, putt putt around buggy.

How much would be too much to pay? Is that too many hours? What should I look for? Concerns?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I gave $3,000 for mine (Gas engine, manual dump bed and 6 wheels not Trail Gator) in 2005 with 230 hours which I thought was a steal. They are great in my opinion if you are not into speed. Will haul anything you can put in the bed.

Comment

Thanks Chief. I'm not a huge go fast kind of guy.

I'm just looking for something I can cruise around the lease in and do a little work and mainly just enjoy time with the boys.

Comment

last year I was looking for a side by side and stopped by John Deer when the salesman came out to meet and greet me looking at the gator. He asked if I had water on the property and I did, he suggested to me I not buy the gator and showed me where the air intake was at the ankle of the drive and also pointed out a small hole near the rear axel, and said if water got in the hole, the engine would stop and would not run again till all the water was gone through evaporation. I thanked him for being so honest and he said he did not want me coming back all upset after purchase. Most honest salesrep I think I ever met. I bought a Polaris 800 and have had trouble with overheating. So there u go, hope this helps

Comment

Are you talking about the plain John Deere gator they have made for years or the new Gator XUV???? BIG difference in machines!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jesterdoc View Post
            Thanks Chief. I'm not a huge go fast kind of guy.

I'm just looking for something I can cruise around the lease in and do a little work and mainly just enjoy time with the boys.
            I built a two seat addition for the bed with swivel boat seats. Never had a issue with them. If you want to pm your email or phone # I will send you pics. Never have figured out posting pics here.

Comment

My buddy texted my a pic, but Tapatalk won't let me post pics. I don't know the difference in the plain ol Gator and the XUV. It looks like a regular ol 4-wheel drive gator to me.

Comment

Hours are not a concern. Depending on year and condition I would think 2750 through 3500. I have an electric gator and the kids love it in the neighborhood. Ground clearance is weak but other than that I like them.

Comment

Old style JD gator....Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379125946346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	24244131

New JD gator xuvClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379125979301.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	24244132

Comment

If the price is right, it's better then walking

Comment

I guess it's an old style.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379349814.220818.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24244771

Comment

that is the first generation XUV

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
                          that is the first generation XUV
                          Can you tell me anything about them? What to look for or expect? Good, bad, ugly or otherwise. I'm gonna try to make a trip to go look at it soon. I'd like to have all the insight I can when I do. Thanks.

Comment

Expect starter issues and a very cold natured machine

Comment

my dad has one paid $4500 with 1200 hrs.

Comment

Working...
                              X