No announcement yet.

Box blind size, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my opinion, l would build nothing smaller than a 5x8, remember kids grow.

Comment

If you make the blind 4' deep you won't have enough leg room or someone will always be bumping the wall.

I build mine 5' deep minimum and most are 6' in width. We built one that was 5' x 8' x 7' that had plenty of room but the last flood on the Lavaca river took it to parts unknown.

Comment

To me 5x6 is the best size for two people to hunt out of. The reason I went with a 5x6 is the the 4x6 is to narrow and the 5x7 is just wasted space and money for the extra foot in length.

Comment

you guys are killing me. Laid it out to see what the actual size will be comfortable to stretch out in. Going 6x8 tall enough to stand in, probably 6.5'

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
            you guys are killing me. Laid it out to see what the actual size will be comfortable to stretch out in. Going 6x8 tall enough to stand in, probably 6.5'
            If I was to do it all over again, id make mine 8X8X8

A lot less cutting and measuring involved since all your wood will be bought in 8ft sections.

Comment

I am finishing up a 6'x8'x7'6" and I have 3 office chairs very comfortably with another chair right behind them. Plenty of space, you would rather it be too large than too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvilleslayer View Post
                I am finishing up a 6'x8'x7'6" and I have 3 office chairs very comfortably with another chair right behind them. Plenty of space, you would rather it be too large than too small.
                This is the size I'm doing. Drew it all out last night. I'm moving this weekend so I'll build it after that. Want to get it finished up and get it out mid February.

Comment

I have a 4x6 rifle blind my son and I hunt out of. It's perfect now that he's 4 years old but with 2 oversized office chairs it leaves little to no room for "leaning back". I'll keep it for a couple more years (or when he strectches out enough) then my next project will be a 6'x6' rifle blind.

IMO you can't beat a 6x6 rifle blind. Plenty of room for two comfortable chairs, be able to stretch, lean back, and even put a small heater in the corner without being cramped.

Comment

I made a 6x8 to bow hunt out of. WAY more than enough room for multiple people. I had always struggled with being cramped and not enough leg room. My wife and I could easily fit in there and both be reclined back in our chairs with enough room that we were not on top of each other.

Comment

My favorite size is 6'x6'...it is huntable for one person by their self (meaning you can sit in the middle and still see out the windows easily), to me a 4x8 is to long, if you hunt by yourself and sit in the middle you have move over to the side windows to really see or shoot. I'm currently building another 6x6 for me, my dad, and my son to hunt. How are you getting the material to the hunting spot? If it's with a truck and trailer and you want to build the blind complete at your house then I recommend putting the trailer where you want the blind and disconnecting the truck, chock the wheels of the trailer and use your truck to pull the blind up. I always run a strap around the entire box up near the windows and pull from the strap or run it through the windows and pull it up. If you are going to pull it up then I suggest pulling it to where it is just about to break over and then get out of the truck and finish pushing it up the last little bit that way you don't take a chance of pulling it all the way over. I've found the best thing to do is once you get there and are ready to raise it get the blind all the way to the back of the trailer until the legs are touching the ground...they have to "bite" the ground or it will just keep sliding. I've put a big box blind up by myself like this, I usually lower the blind on to the trailer with several pipes under it and then strap it down, once you get there the blind will roll back on the pipes. I also raise the blind half way up and hold it with a truck or side by side and then put the metal on the roof and then pull it up. Putting it together in pieces wall by wall is good to but my blinds never seem to go together as well in the field compared to if I build them complete at home, plus the walls can be very heavy to get up to the platform. I hope something here helps you...out of all of these ideas I definitely recommend deer view windows like the other guys...they make the whole blind better!

Comment

Am I the only one who can't help but laugh every time one of the "blind dimensions" threads gets going? Are we building deer blinds or condos here? 8x8 preferable, 6x6 minimum???

Most mid to low end popups are around 5x5 and people have been bowhunting out of them successfully for years, often with more than one person. My solo rifle blinds are 4x4 with built in shooting rails and shelving. I'm over 6'2", 230 or so and hunt out of them fine all day long. My double rifle blinds are 4x6 and hunt fine for two grown men all day long with the occasional kid thrown in there too. The 6 footers actually annoy me when hunting by myself and I need to move across the blind to change viewing angle or set up for a shot. I can't imagine 8x8 ...I've had bedrooms just a touch bigger than that.

I know it is all just personal preference. And I know I'm behind the times too, because I still don't think you need a 3,000 square foot McMansion to raise two kids.

Comment

6x8 or 4x10

Comment

Working...
                          X