Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
Lost Arra
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, East Texas
Default Armadillo arrow?

Does anyone else carry one of these while hunting? This weekend of turkey hunting convinced me I need one in my quiver as they almost rooted up my decoys.

In the past I've had deer walk by unaffected by squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, cardinals, blue jays but a grubbing, rooting dillo just seems to make them uneasy and usually leave. I've shot a few but at the expense of a perfectly good arrow since it's hard to get a pass thru at treestand angles, probably better from a blind.

I'm thinking about using the biggest rubber blunt I can find on possibly a fishing arrow.
Lost Arra is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Well....

I gotta funny story about dillos...

I had a dillo scare of some deer and while I was always curious about shooting one, this gave me the incentive to do so. I got out of the blind and shot one with a broadhead. He ran off with my arrow and into some brush. I didn't have my flash light so I walked back to camp to get it and come back. About halfway back to camp, I remembered I had one in a different pack pocket and went back. Never did find that dillo or my arrow. I would periodically search the area... again never found that guy... or the arrow.

Fast forward a weekend and I am walking to a stand in the late afternoon and I hear something rustling through the grass. I get an arrow nocked and up out of the ravine comes an dillo. I swap arrows for one that has a small game - wingnut head and I take aim at it's tiny head. I hit that guy straight up in the head and he goes flipping around like a trapeze artist... just jumping, flipping. I nock another arrow and wait, but he never stops and finally runs back down into the ravine... I walk to the stand and climb in and can hear him for a good solid 2 minutes running around down there behind me.

don't know if he ever died... or if his headache finally wore off or what. In hindsight, I think I probably just got him in the snout and just really made him have a bad day... but all in all I'd say the rubber blunts probably wouldn't do the trick... and a cheap ol Zwickey broadhead to the upper mid section would work.

For what it is worth, on game that small, I don't worry about pass thrus. They are not high enough off the ground to usually get those... the arrow usually hits the dirt on the other side. Just my experience.

I have stopped carrying a blunt in my 4 arrow quiver and now just carry 3 sharks and a zwicky that I have put a tanto tip on. The only time I go with an actual blunt/small game head is if I plan on stalking rabbits.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
M.E.B.
Ten Point

I used to carry a fish arrow with a big rubber blunt.

It worked on armadillos.

It would also kill or knock a dead squirrel out of a tree and not travel too far when shot into the air while doing either.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Bisch
Pope & Young

Never had problems with an armadillo messing up a hunt, so no, I don't carry a dillo arrow.

Besides, those little bastages carry leprosy, so I tend to just leave them alone!

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I leave them alone as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Cold Steel makes some cheap broadheads that can be purchased by the dozen. I've been tempted to carry those on a couple of junk arrows just for those occasions when arrow recovery might be a problem. I haven't seen or shot any of them, but if they would be close to point of aim, I'd use them on armadillos and even hogs. I don't dress hogs out unless they are little ones, and they are notorious for disappearing with arrows in brushy country...
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I ain’t eating it so I ain’t shooting it. Never had a deer spook at one. They can’t see worth crap so not much sport in it either.
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
Lost Arra
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, East Texas

I agree it may not always be sporting (every shot for me is sporting) but for the dillo damage I've got in my yard it's more of a pest control issue at home and they have busted deer on more than one occasion in the woods. The rancher where I hunt shoots every one on sight due to holes in his pastures. Killing mice, pocket gophers and skunks isn't sporting and I don't eat them but I still kill them given the chance.

I'm sure as soon as I start carrying an arrow for dillos I'll never see another one.
Lost Arra is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

Back when I shot 85lbs I had a big home made plastic blunt that killed Dillos like light struck them. It would literally blow a hole through them the size of your fist.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Arra View Post
I agree it may not always be sporting (every shot for me is sporting) but for the dillo damage I've got in my yard it's more of a pest control issue at home and they have busted deer on more than one occasion in the woods. The rancher where I hunt shoots every one on sight due to holes in his pastures. Killing mice, pocket gophers and skunks isn't sporting and I don't eat them but I still kill them given the chance.

I'm sure as soon as I start carrying an arrow for dillos I'll never see another one.
They can be hard on a nice carpet of Saint Augustine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top