Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default Double Down attraction capabilities

If you've read any of my posts, (especially the protein ingredient/TDN mega-post) you know that I have a decent understanding and common-sense approach to protein supplementing the deer at my spots.

I have been totally happy with Lyssey & Eckel 20% and my deer seem to do well on it. I do have a few large bucks that only eat from the protein feeder on rare occasions. I have put cameras up around the feed pen and see that they are there, but mainly just eat corn spread from the cast feeder. 3 of these are my larger bucks, and I bet I don't have a dozen pictures of each actually eating protein.

One of a few things could be happening.

1.) They were obviously older when the protein feeders were placed and they are skiddish of them to a certain extent...which if true, is weird that that ever eat from the feeder at all.

2.) They are happy with corn or pick corn over protein and just have their way with that and forget the protein.

or

3.) The taste/choice of protein isn't enough to get them "addicted" to the pellets so there is no driving force/desire to eat the protein.

I do believe that Double Down is an excellent feed, based on the TDN%. I believe that DD's marketing strategy was brilliant, but on a level of nutrition, I feel it is on the same level of Lyssey & Eckel.
I've probably read 95% of the DD posts on the Green Screen, and the one common denominator is that folks say that consumption levels increase and more deer start eating it. I'm guessing this is from the use of peanuts in the feed which to me adds an "attractant" aspect to the feed.

I'm debating whether to mix my next feeder fill with 50-50 DD/L&E to try and get the larger skiddish bucks to begin eating the protein more consistently.

I have already mixed it with corn as well as soybeans, and although I have a LOT of deer eating it, the few big boys are still stand-off'ish.

Your thoughts....???
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Following
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
Following

Guess no need, cuz no one responding! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Ring the bell for the DD haters!!

My experience has been that the attractiveness/addictive qualities of DD have been seen/proven for me on a ranch wide scale over the last 3 years. There is no disputing that deer eat more DD than other brands.

DD has a ďsecretĒ ingredient to attract deer that isnít peanuts
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Peyton
Pope & Young

You wonít find me on any DD advertising. I am only a customer.

Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because theyíve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see itís an above average feed. If I didnít believe, I wouldnít have bought 450 tons of DD.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Where can you buy it in Houston area?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
Peyton
Pope & Young

Default Double Down attraction capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Where can you buy it in Houston area?

http://doubledowndeerfeed.com/dealers/

I googled that

Last edited by Peyton; 04-03-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.

Iíve never filled a feeder ďpureĒ with 100% of one feed. Even with the L&E, Iíve always mixed it with either roasted soybeans or Golden Nuggets. I feel multiple protein sources is more beneficial than just one. Of course, my every 70 day feeder fill is middle of May, so I wonít exactly know whoís who until a few months (antler growth) passes, but I would hope that a 50-50 mix would give me the best of both worlds. Not to say that I wouldnít go 100% DD, but if my numbers increase as antlers begin to grow, Iíd be tempted to keep the mix as-is.
Think Iím gonna give the 50-50 mix a try and see what the camera show when the July feeder-fill comes around. Those pics should tell the tale and set in concrete what I do the next fill and there-after.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post

Ha, fair enough. I googled right after posting. Looks like livingston area, Rosenberg area and West on I 10 way past Katy are the closest locations. Browsed the website a bit. Anyone here have real comparative experience using this stuff vs Antler Max 20? What is the price running on this if not buying in bulk? 15 dollars a bag???
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Cull hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Catarina

have never mixed two feeds. I just know that double down will attract deer and keep them on it like no other feed we have used.
Cull hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
Rwc
Ten Point

Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.

Rwc

Last edited by Rwc; 04-04-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: No reason in getting the DD haters stirred up.
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.

Rwc
That would be the perfect test, but not one I am able to do at this place currently.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?
I don't think they are at that point age wise, but good idea.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

Quote:
Ring the bell for the DD haters!!

My experience has been that the attractiveness/addictive qualities of DD have been seen/proven for me on a ranch wide scale over the last 3 years. There is no disputing that deer eat more DD than other brands.

DD has a ďsecretĒ ingredient to attract deer that isnít peanuts
Deer love some black licorice!!

A lot of feed suppliers will add anise flavor to feed if you are buying in bulk and ask for it.
lab man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts. .
Yes...Desperation at its best.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #18
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Yes...Desperation at its best.

Hater #1 has arrived!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton View Post
hater #1 has arrived!
lol!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
Deer love some black licorice!!

A lot of feed suppliers will add anise flavor to feed if you are buying in bulk and ask for it.
I've noticed LnE smells alot like black licorice, does DD also?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
Big Mike M
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer

Quote:
I've noticed LnE smells alot like black licorice, does DD also?
Yes. Strong licorice and peanut smell. IMO, it smells better than all the competitor brands. The licorice smell is from the anise they spray on it to make it more attractive to the deer. It works. I think the peanut taste is what makes them eat a lot of it. Deer love peanuts.
Big Mike M is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Quote:

Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because theyíve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see itís an above average feed. If I didnít believe, I wouldnít have bought 450 tons of DD.
Holy Chit I cant imagine footing (or even being a contributing member) your feed bill .

glad to hear you are getting good results out of it. That is the bottom line, and all anybody should be looking for
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
JeffK
Ten Point

How often are these bucks coming to the feed pen? I would bet they are not local and just swinging by to check the does. I don't see switching proteins, making them turn into protein hogs.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

Surely a DD flatbill came with that order!
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #25
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike M View Post
Yes. Strong licorice and peanut smell. IMO, it smells better than all the competitor brands. The licorice smell is from the anise they spray on it to make it more attractive to the deer. It works. I think the peanut taste is what makes them eat a lot of it. Deer love peanuts.
Gotcha, appreciate the response
Old 04-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
How often are these bucks coming to the feed pen? I would bet they are not local and just swinging by to check the does. I don't see switching proteins, making them turn into protein hogs.
The 2 large WT's are there regularly...almost daily. The one large muley buck is there maybe once a week or so, but mule deer seem to pattern weird like that sometime.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

anyone who challenges Status Quo is considered a hater...fine with me

But when you lie about the type of fence on the Holden ranch where all the advertisement comes from, it steers alot of people the wrong way about the protein.

Just be honest thats my only issue
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #28
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

I've mixed protein and roasted soybeans.....what a nightmare doing the actual mixing by hand.....huge PITA and not worth the labor. How would you mix it?
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #29
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
I've mixed protein and roasted soybeans.....what a nightmare doing the actual mixing by hand.....huge PITA and not worth the labor. How would you mix it?

Feeder holds over 1100 lbs. We just alternate bags as w fill. As the feed falls into the tubes it mixes. Itís actually very consistently mixed done this way. We do it all the time when we add soybeans or golden nuggets.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #30
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Feeder holds over 1100 lbs. We just alternate bags as w fill. As the feed falls into the tubes it mixes. Itís actually very consistently mixed done this way. We do it all the time when we add soybeans or golden nuggets.

Gotcha. It never worked that well in my 1200lb boss buck. One tube would have all soybeans and one protein.... Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #31
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Gotcha. It never worked that well in my 1200lb boss buck. One tube would have all soybeans and one protein.... Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Prob the difference in a single center funneled feeder like a boss buck vs 3 funnels pulling from each third of the feeder...
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:

But when you lie about the type of fence on the Holden ranch where all the advertisement comes from, it steers alot of people the wrong way about the protein.

YOU ARE DEAD ON - suckers are born every moment
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

I hunt a 200 acre low fence place surrounded by large ranches. We have been feeding protein for about four years now but never seemed to be able to consistently hold on to our deer. I made the switch to DD at the end of 2016 and we are now seeing more and for the first time are holding the same deer throughout the year. I am not going to say that it is a miracle feed but the deer do seem to prefer it over the other brand I was feeding and they consistently eat it regardless of the range conditions on the ranch. The other thing I have noticed is that we saw more non-typical points last year than ever before. Not sure if this has anything to do with DD or just pure coincidence.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Would you mind sharing what the other brand was? I just put out DD but was feeding Antler Max 20% with good results. course I am hunting a small parcel of land surrounded by neighbors with 200 to 800 acres but all hunt. I was pulling in a lot deer with the antler max and coons so curious to see what DD does. I really need another protein feeder next to it and see which one the deer empty first consistently but not doing that any time soon$$$
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #35
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Did yall protein feed year round with the same stuff or mix it up? I ask because some use cotton seed and then quit feeding during hunting season or they feed year round and part of the year is cotton seed and the other part with a pellet. Some use soybeans etc. Trying to gather information to see if your statement of experience (results) I can use to relate to my situation on a small acre place.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #36
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
YOU ARE DEAD ON - suckers are born every moment

The Chittum is about 15000 acres and easily has over 10 miles of low fence border on the southern half. Iím not sure of the exact numbers, but I have been there. Have you?

TKK...why are we suckers? Please explain.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #37
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
The Chittum is about 15000 acres and easily has over 10 miles of low fence border on the southern half. Iím not sure of the exact numbers, but I have been there. Have you?

TKK...why are we suckers? Please explain.
Yes I have...it's obvious you struggled to comprehend the original message.
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #38
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
Yes I have...it's obvious you struggled to comprehend the original message.

I comprende. What makes you think I donít?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #39
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
I comprende. What makes you think I donít?
You point out acres and low fence distance...he simply stated don't lie about your fence after you put 30+ feeders up 300 yards apart, 50 yards from the low fence line while you pay to put up a high fence...not you literally but Holden.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #40
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
You point out acres and low fence distance...he simply stated don't lie about your fence after you put 30+ feeders up 300 yards apart, 50 yards from the low fence line while you pay to put up a high fence...not you literally but Holden.

B&C and ALL TX deer contests only require a mile or two of low fence to qualify as free range. How does 10+ miles of barb wire not qualify?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #41
RINCON
Ten Point

Smh...now we have moved to barbed wire and B&C
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #42
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Smh...now we have moved to barbed wire and B&C

What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #43
RINCON
Ten Point

Ugh...not mad bro....have another cocktail.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #44
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ugh...not mad bro....have another cocktail.

*** is that for a response? You donít know me and have to resort to presumptive insults to discuss a deer feed. Wow, I never knew that buying a particular deer feed made someone so predictable. SMH!

Yíall are obviously mad because you post insults on every thread about DD.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

Quote:
Would you mind sharing what the other brand was? I just put out DD but was feeding Antler Max 20% with good results. course I am hunting a small parcel of land surrounded by neighbors with 200 to 800 acres but all hunt. I was pulling in a lot deer with the antler max and coons so curious to see what DD does. I really need another protein feeder next to it and see which one the deer empty first consistently but not doing that any time soon$$$
I was feeding Purina Antlermax before.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #46
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Sure doesn't take make to get #1 fan boy worked up!

As far as an attracting deer from all accounts from users DD does just that. From what I gather they eat alot more and body weights go up but I haven't heard many say they have seen big increases in antler size. So if you want to bring an in and have fat deer it might be the feed for you. We don't have a problem keeping deer around so not worth the added cost imo.

Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 04-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #47
Beargrasstx
Six Point

I just purchased some DD and put out. It was 13.25 a bag for the DD which is about what I was paying for antler max 20. Sometimes I can get in the 12.25 to 12.75 for the antler max and other times it is 13 plus dollars as well. Really not a huge difference in price to me.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #48
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
I just purchased some DD and put out. It was 13.25 a bag for the DD which is about what I was paying for antler max 20. Sometimes I can get in the 12.25 to 12.75 for the antler max and other times it is 13 plus dollars as well. Really not a huge difference in price to me.

Think I pay 10.50 or 10.25 for LE and when feeding what we do it adds up in a hurry. Now our feed bill is nothing to what some on here are feeding. Would have to go back and look to see exactly what we are paying. Then take into account if consumption increases it adds up even more. Like I said not worth it imo to have fat deer.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #49
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Oh, and to the original question, Yes deer spend more time eating DD than other feeds.
They eat a lot more of it.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top