Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Were getting the our spring plots ready to plant in a couple of weeks. This year going to plant a 50/50 blend of the Tuner Seed Spring Deer mix and their Spring Dove mix. Then will put on a 1000lbs of fertilizer. Pray for good spring rains.


DEER MIX
Cowpeas (Iron & Clay) 20%
Cowpeas (Red Ripper)
15%
Lab Lab (Rungi)
15%
Soybeans (Laredo)
15%
Sunn Hemp
13%
Peas (California Blackeye)
10%
Buckwheat
5%
Okra (Spineless)
5%
Chicory 2%
Cost Per Acre $35.00
Cost Per Pound $1.75
Pounds Per Acre 20.00
April 1 - June 1



DOVE MIX

Millet, Browntop 25%
Bird Magnet Sorghum
25%
Sunflowers (Hybrid Oil)
25%
Millet (German Foxtail)
25%
Cost Per Acre $40.00
Cost Per Pound $2.00
Pounds Per Acre 20.00
April 1 - June 1



DOVE MIX

Name:  springplot.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  67.4 KB

Last edited by BrandonA; 03-27-2018 at 09:50 AM.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Should be awesome. Keep the pics coming.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Brandon, are you drilling seeds? 20# sounds awfully light for broadcasting them.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Brandon, are you drilling seeds? 20# sounds awfully light for broadcasting them.
No I will be broadcasting. I will get 150bs of each blend. I just copied and paste the info of their site.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

I got herbicide sprayed and fertilizer spread last weekend. I cut two new plots which will make me 7 acres now. One plot will be sunn hemp, one is RR peas,sunflowers and IC peas, the big 5 acre plot is straight IC peas.

Brandon, if you dont mind me asking what was your cost on fertilizer this year?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I got herbicide sprayed and fertilizer spread last weekend. I cut two new plots which will make me 7 acres now. One plot will be sunn hemp, one is RR peas,sunflowers and IC peas, the big 5 acre plot is straight IC peas.

Brandon, if you dont mind me asking what was your cost on fertilizer this year?
We haven't picked it up yet. We don't buy it in the bags but will have all the fertilizer and seed mixed at once and I use the feed store buggy to spread it. This plots is a little over 6 acres.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
We haven't picked it up yet. We don't buy it in the bags but will have all the fertilizer and seed mixed at once and I use the feed store buggy to spread it. This plots is a little over 6 acres.
That is what I used. I did not have to add much nitrogen and only needed 200 pounds per acre. I was at 500.00 for fertilizer and no charge for the buggy.This fall I may use the fertilizer with herbicide oil mixed together.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
That is what I used. I did not have to add much nitrogen and only needed 200 pounds per acre. I was at 500.00 for fertilizer and no charge for the buggy.This fall I may use the fertilizer with herbicide oil mixed together.
Dad thinks we paid $400 for 2100lbs this past fall. So Im thinking it should be about half this spring or pretty close.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

I had to have magnesium and zinc added in with my fertilizer and it pushed the cost up a little. When I get my soil samples back from A&M, I give em to my fertilizer guy and he makes the blend.

We supposed to get a gully washer here tomorrow, with hail and high winds. Been real dry around these parts.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I had to have magnesium and zinc added in with my fertilizer and it pushed the cost up a little. When I get my soil samples back from A&M, I give em to my fertilizer guy and he makes the blend.

We supposed to get a gully washer here tomorrow, with hail and high winds. Been real dry around these parts.
Gotcha. What are you planting this year?
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Gotcha. What are you planting this year?


I have one plot that will be sunn hemp, one plot of red ripper peas, iron clay peas and sunflower, and one 5 acre plot of iron clay peas


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

20lbs broadcast for deer plot seems awfully low. For a dove plot that sounds perfect
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
20lbs broadcast for deer plot seems awfully low. For a dove plot that sounds perfect
I will be getting 1.5X the recommended amount.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.
This is a interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.
I pretty much use the second rule. I will also look at seed companies wildlife mix, and use a close % of what I want to plant and use the planting rate of the main seed in the mix (I.e. I/C pea broadcast rate)
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
muddyz
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Default

Would you guys ever do throw and mow on a virgin field or is that only acceptable after you have worked the soil over in the first year?
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
JeffJ
Pope & Young
 
JeffJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I will be getting 1.5X the recommended amount.
I usually use that amount as well and always round up to the nearest 50lb so I don't have to think about half bags, etc.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Well, I got my 6 acres planted this morning. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
mdnabors
Ten Point
 
mdnabors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas
Default

Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #21
Tracy moss
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buna
Hunt In: buna
Default

Yes I tried the power plant a few years back. Wished I would had save the pics of it and the deer that was eating it. Great stuff Iam in southeast Texas grew well
Tracy moss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
mdnabors
Ten Point
 
mdnabors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy moss View Post
Yes I tried the power plant a few years back. Wished I would had save the pics of it and the deer that was eating it. Great stuff Iam in southeast Texas grew well
Thanks, good to know. When was your planting date?

I'm considering giving it a try to see how it holds up and if hogs mess with it. If it doesn't grow well or hogs destroy it at least I'll know moving forward...Plot pH from recent years of Fall mixes is really good around neutral so thinking it'll be a great spot to try it and should be 1.5acres so I think that'll be enough. Not a crazy high deer numbers but average...
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Tracy moss
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buna
Hunt In: buna
Default

Now until middle of May will be good. I would recommend getting the newsletter from the whitetail institute great stuff in there .
Tracy moss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
Razrbk89
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE Arkansas
Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas
Default

Itís not time to plant around here as weíre expecting some mild freezes this week, but weíve got some dirt turned over. Planning on doing beans and corn this year and making one of my plots a little bigger than usual for the corn experiment.

Iíll have a mix of wheat/turnips/clover in the fall, along with the 10 acres of corn that Iíll leave standing. Could be a flop, who knows!
Attached Images
 
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #25
mdnabors
Ten Point
 
mdnabors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy moss View Post
Now until middle of May will be good. I would recommend getting the newsletter from the whitetail institute great stuff in there .
Yep I get the WI newsletters. Always good reads even though I haven't tried any of their stuff in many years. This will be first try at a spring plot so thought I'd try half PowerPlant and half I/C Peas. Would love to No-Till it. Have 6" green growth now of last year's mix popping back up of rye and clover. Soil looks dark, rich and moist. Will give another couple weeks and make sure temps are above 65 consistently. Sent in WI soil test just to double check it but I think it's gonna come back pretty good
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #26
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  plota.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  90.0 KB

3 Weeks ago I sprayed Generic Roundup on my 6 acres. As y'all can see it was ate to the dirt with only turnips left.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #27
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot1.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  plot2.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  91.0 KB

Last week I fertilized, disc and planted.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #28
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot4.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  118.4 KB

After seeding, I use a drag and roller to cover seed and roll the bed.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #29
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot3.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  87.9 KB

A view from my blind of a finished 3 acre field, seeded with IC peas at 70 pounds per acre.

Last edited by Radar; 04-04-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot5.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  97.0 KB

Another finished 1 acre plot. Seeded with IC peas, RR peas, Lab Lab and Sunflower blend.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #31
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot6.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  111.0 KB

Small plot of Sunn Hemp
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Name:  plot7.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  101.2 KB

2 acres planted in IC peas and Sunn Hemp. This field has a Nutgrass issue and hogs will get it about July unless I can kill the hogs or the nutgrass or both.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #33
muddyz
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Default

Wow those look great. Iím hoping to get some stuff done this weekend but I donít have access to tools like youíve got there. Hoping I can throw some seed out, run over it with a groundhawg disc and then mow it.

These are the fields Iím working with.
Attached Images
  
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #34
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyz View Post
Wow those look great. Iím hoping to get some stuff done this weekend but I donít have access to tools like youíve got there. Hoping I can throw some seed out, run over it with a groundhawg disc and then mow it.

These are the fields Iím working with.
I am a rookie to food plots, maybe 6 years of it. I still ask a lot of questions and read QDMA alot. My biggest enemy is rooting hogs, we kill the heck out of them but seems like a lost cause in the mid summer.

El Gato and DryCreek are purty smart fellers with plots, I learn alot from them.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #35
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

I'm going to be like muddyz and will have minimal tools for my plots. My wife and I are closing on 70 acres in Oklahoma in about a month. Probably be a little late and a little short on funds for the spring/summer plots, but will be getting prepared for fall plots. Going to go for the throw and mow method. We will see how it goes!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #36
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I'm going to be like muddyz and will have minimal tools for my plots. My wife and I are closing on 70 acres in Oklahoma in about a month. Probably be a little late and a little short on funds for the spring/summer plots, but will be getting prepared for fall plots. Going to go for the throw and mow method. We will see how it goes!
Thatís how I started , but it was on a lease in burnet long time ago
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #37
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Thatís how I started , but it was on a lease in burnet long time ago
I'm just excited to have my own slice of dirt. I think the throw and mow method will work out great for me until I'm able to get more implements.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #38
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I'm just excited to have my own slice of dirt. I think the throw and mow method will work out great for me until I'm able to get more implements.
I bet you are excited!!
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #39
the marshall
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Tex-ok-la
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.
I tried it in central La. and will again this year. Impressive to say the least. Still don't have my soil right and the deer hammered it anyway
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #40
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the marshall View Post
I tried it in central La. and will again this year. Impressive to say the least. Still don't have my soil right and the deer hammered it anyway
Where are you in central La. ? We might be neighbors
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #41
the marshall
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Tex-ok-la
Default central La

PM sent
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #42
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.
I woud not plant anything with corn or sorghum in it. Dadgum coon and hogs will tear it up.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #43
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I am a rookie to food plots, maybe 6 years of it. I still ask a lot of questions and read QDMA alot. My biggest enemy is rooting hogs, we kill the heck out of them but seems like a lost cause in the mid summer.

El Gato and DryCreek are purty smart fellers with plots, I learn alot from them.
You disk every year? I been following their threads and the past year I been grain drilling mine and leaving the ground undisturbed.

Question I have: If I spray gly it will kill my entire winter plot correct? Or just weeds? I have peas, oats, wheat planted.

I shredded it down 4 weeks ago
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #44
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
You disk every year? I been following their threads and the past year I been grain drilling mine and leaving the ground undisturbed.

Question I have: If I spray gly it will kill my entire winter plot correct? Or just weeds? I have peas, oats, wheat planted.

I shredded it down 4 weeks ago
I disc every year, I dont own a no-till drill yet and this year I set the disc deeper (10") to uproot all the turnips. By the way a lot y'all dont like turnips but I understand why Elgato says they are good for the soil. The amount of organic matter they leave is unbelievable.

Yes, Gly will kill grass and broadleaf both, so your winter plot will be gone.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #45
mdnabors
Ten Point
 
mdnabors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas
Default

Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
Attached Images
 
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #46
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
Your fertilizer requirements should be on the bottom of your soil test results. Your PH is great ! Good luck !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #47
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Nice plots Radar! I love reading QDMA too

Just got my soil sample back. Soil looks good like I thought. Needs some Phosphorous love and a lil Nitrogen and I'll be good. Gonna plan to start working on 1.5 acre plot in the next couple weeks when the weather makes up its mind that it's gonna stay warm. Plan on a Spring Mix either Powerplant and I/C Peas or I/C Peas with some local beans from co-op, etc.

Current plot look green and lush with rye grain and clover. Gonna just till under to add green manure, spread fertilizer and seed, and then drag over to cover an inch or so...

Does this look like I need ~90# Nitrogen and ~160# or so of Phosphorous? (for 1.5 acre). What's best mix of fertilizer to look for that isn't high on K but good on N and P?
If you know a ag fertilizer place near you, you can take that report with you and they will make the blend required. The cost will be much cheaper than buying a 50 bag of a general mix.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #48
mdnabors
Ten Point
 
mdnabors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
If you know a ag fertilizer place near you, you can take that report with you and they will make the blend required. The cost will be much cheaper than buying a 50 bag of a general mix.
Yep I thought about that. Makes more sense for sure. Thanks
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2018, 03:29 AM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Can someone plant my plot for me? Im stuck at work, on nights, for at least 3 more weeks.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #50
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Plot experts, what do you think is best for a future plot and the soil:

1. spraying and killing my winter plot and grain drilling into it

or

2. disking under the winter plot under and grain drilling into that.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com