Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 01-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever
Default Your 2018 Trad Goals

I started this thread last year, so here is the new one for 2018. I just came off my absolute worse hunting season imaginable... so I need a little more time for reflection on how to readjust for a better 2018.

Post up yer goals!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Featherflinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker, Wise, Throckmorton

I want to post 18 trad kills on this thread for 2018! Not counting rabbits, squirrels, fish, and raccoons. Not likely but maybe I’ll get lucky!
I’d also like to get back to shooting 3D well. I’ve had some issues with accuracy and consistency shooting 3D over the last few years and feel like it may be coming back. I hope so!

Last edited by Featherflinger; 01-01-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Featherflinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

3. Take a javelina or 2 plus some pigs when my wife and I, along with some friends from NC, make a hunt in south Texas the last week in February.

4. Get back into 3d shooting.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Like to go up in poundage.
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Dkincaid
Eight Point

Just to maintain what I had going in the last half of 2017. I found some things that really work for me and I hope i donít forget them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I'll Agree with Kincaid here. I have been shooting a little better lately and hope not to forget or loose that. I also want to commit a little more to trad archery and keep joints healthy. I had an injury this past season that took me out of archery for just a little bit.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

My only goal this year is to kill a pig with the spear my buddy from Pa. made for me. I never took the time to do it last year.
Then just keep doing what I've been doing!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

My goals don't change from year to year. They are simply to shoot as much as I can, hunt as much as I can, be as successful as I can at both while having fun regardless.

I'll add this though - I intend to do everything I possibly can to get my Brothers & Sisters of the Stickbow to proudly wear the Traditional handle, and to show consideration & respect for all across the entire spectrum of it. I've always tried to do this, but may be a little more vocal about it from now on.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

The goal I am going to concentrate on most is to win the trad division of our club championship. It is a series of 5 tournaments ending early summer. After that I will set some killin’ goals for next Fall.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

My goals this year are easy.

1) Make more time to step outside and shoot. With the new job I really really fell off from shooting.
2) Go up in poundage so I can shoot the 60 consistently and use my 45 for form work.
3) Get my wife outside with her crossbow to do some shooting.
4) Actually. Go. On. A. Bow. Hunt!

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Trumpkin
Four Point

Hunt In: Still searching

1. This year I WILL get revenge on all the ninja squirrels.

2. Find a way to practice regularly at 30+ yards. I found my 10-15 yard shooting got way better by shooting at 20. Now I want to shrink those 20 yard groups!

3. One more deer (a hog would work as a substitute) before the end of the 2017-18 season.

I'll assess and update as needed in the summer.
Trumpkin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

My shooting is coming along great, I have 2 bows that are set up perfectly....I just need to kill a deer. I only had one opportunity with my bow this year and that deer wasn't recovered. So my season hasn't been great either. I don't think anything is wrong with my set ups, I may just have to look at getting on a more target rich lease. With that said I want to shoot more 3d and get comfortable shooting at longer distances. For targets that is, I still want my critters under 15. So I'll mainly focus on shooting a lot more at 20-30 yards and then try to connect next season.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Shoot over less deer than I did this year! That said! Shouldn't be hard!!

Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #14
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

Kill a bull over 320 with my compound, so I can get rid of the dang thing for good! Then 2 PY bucks and a few doe whities with the stick.

Last edited by tradslam; 01-01-2018 at 10:38 PM.
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #15
Trumpkin
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradslam View Post
Kill a bull over 320 with my compound, so I can get rid of the dang thing for good! Then 2 PY bucks and a few doe whities with the stick.
Meaning elk? Just ditch it now, then that 320-330" bull will be so much sweeter when it happens! I should know. It took 7 years to seal the deal with my longbow.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #16
Bisch
Pope & Young

My #1 goal for 2018, is to figure out what the heck has happened to me, and regain the ability to make good shots at critters!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

It took me about that long and a lot of money I really didn't have. It was just a rag horn but the overall journey with the longbow was more than worth it. Time spent with my brother exploring the West Elk Wilderness remains some of my fondest memories. We had many conversations about why we were making things so hard to accomplish with our choice of equipment . He was able to harvest a spike and a rag horn with his Robertson Peregrine. Best times of our life.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
My #1 goal for 2018, is to figure out what the heck has happened to me, and regain the ability to make good shots at critters!

Bisch

You and me both.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
Sorry to hear that but I'm kind of relieved to hear that slumps can happen even to the most experienced of shooters. I'm sure you will get it back soon Bisch! I was shooting well then had a mid-season slump that was so bad I actually cancelled my hunting plans on two weekends - my confidence had gone to hell and I didn't want to make a bad shot on a deer. I've gotten pretty much back in the groove now, but I honestly can't pinpoint what changed - something just clicked. Part mental, part form flaw most likely.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Happy New Year Yall!:

Cut shafts and fine tune. As of now Ive never cut a shaft and all are factory full length.

Learn how to serve my strings and do it

Change out my virgin strike plates that now look like theyve been through a couple rough years at the Chicken Ranch during an oil bust

Beat ChuckC at a TBOT shoot in the longbow division...Ive got to get rid of my riser aiming marks first

Slay the GSD sized coyotes that terrorize my dogs at night and subsequently terrorize my slumber

Kill a Granger hog with my Blueridge or Lynx
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #21
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I would like to meet some of y'all. I have not had a chance to meet a lot of you fine people.

I am going to try to make more TBoT shoots this year.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #22
chuckc.
Six Point

Set your goals higher Briar Friar, strive to beat Bish or Rusty! If they didn't have a seniors division I couldn't make a showing. My goal is still to execute each shot no matter if it's foam or an animal! Pressure makes my form go out the window. My heart beats so fast when I draw on a buck it's actually kind of scary! I'd love to confine that until after the shot.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #23
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc. View Post
Set your goals higher Briar Friar, strive to beat Bish or Rusty! If they didn't have a seniors division I couldn't make a showing. My goal is still to execute each shot no matter if it's foam or an animal! Pressure makes my form go out the window. My heart beats so fast when I draw on a buck it's actually kind of scary! I'd love to confine that until after the shot.
Oh baloney!

Buck fever?...its probably too big a dip of Copenhagen...seems you got some fine critters regardless of the over active ticker. Better too active than not enough.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

As my lead off post suggested, I totally screwed up this WT season. It is a little more embarrassing than I'd like to share on here... in fact, my live thread kind of died because the hiccups were just too much to deal with. So you know it was bad, cause I normally like to just be honest and open about stuff like I have been in the past. It wasn't just one event, but a series of mishaps that just keep plaguing me all fall. So my goals are somewhat based around that.

1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.

2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.

3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)

4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.

5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #25
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

My first goal is to shoot 4-5 times a week with my trad bows and improve my shooting.
2nd is to meet a handful of you experiance shooters and try to learn from you guys.
3rd is to compete in the local 3D tournamentss/leauge with my trad bow.
4th to spill some blood with one of my trad bows.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
chuckc.
Six Point

Swap rabbit, I went on many diy hunts out west with my longbow and recurve. Most of them resulted in no game taken, but they were all successful in that they were the greatest hunting adventures of my lifetime. Set your goal to go as many times as you can get away with. The time will come when the old legs just won't carry you into those beautiful places. If you haven't tried it, go into designated wilderness areas. I highly recommend the west elk widerness in Co. You won't regret it, it's awesome!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post

2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.
That is my goal again this year..... Kill everything I get close to
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I want to shoot more 3 D than I did in the past and get better at it. I would like to travel more around the state to various club shoots and meet more folks from this site in person.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #29
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

On the books, 2018 looks to be a crazy year already with lots of adventures ahead including putting a check mark next to one of my bucket list hunts.
GOALS

1) SHOOT MORE!!!! I really didn't shoot as much as I usually do this past year, but that has got to change this year!

2) Build up and shoot my heavy bows comfortably.

3) Spend more time in the woods with family.

4) Pick a spot, and put an arrow perfectly into a Cape Buffalo for a clean kill!

5) Have more fun shooting. I got into a bad slump just before hunting season, and am still fighting it now and again, but gotta loosen up and roll with it.
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #30
smokin feathers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shelby san augustine n newton co

I wanted to shoot 3d hard n heavy this year and here it is first of jan n my right shoulder n left elbow giving me grief!! Yes im rh, may have try shootin lh but im gonna do it one way or another if it takes killing my arms!!

2 want to get back to bowhunting hard and heavy(though i will try n keep me 20
Hog a month nv average lol) and leave the rifle n wheel bow at home n put the fun back n deer hunting.

3. I want to take a mule deer to go with the bear elk n antelope!!
smokin feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #31
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

To get much better.
To tune my bow.
To kill an animal.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #32
tradslam
Eight Point

Yup, I was talking elk. I'll have a trophy elk tag with buddies coming out to help pack. Then do some deer hunting together. I'd rather not make a 5-6 day hunt into a 30 day hunt, and cut into their hunt time. I love shooting stuff with a stick but there's not that much of a difference to me, where I'd risk messing up their hunt.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #33
Trumpkin
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradslam View Post
Yup, I was talking elk. I'll have a trophy elk tag with buddies coming out to help pack. Then do some deer hunting together. I'd rather not make a 5-6 day hunt into a 30 day hunt, and cut into their hunt time. I love shooting stuff with a stick but there's not that much of a difference to me, where I'd risk messing up their hunt.
Sound reasoning! Good luck with the elk tag.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #34
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I’ll just strive to have the year I’ve had in ‘17. I know I’ll do better in competition. I started 3D when it was two thirds over this past year. Thought I was gonna suck bad but found out I’m better that I thought. As for huntin, I’ve easily exceeded my own expectations and it would feel great to do it again. So here they are......

1- Get some TBOT buckles.
2- Get another buck in the taxidermist.
3- Kill many, many more pigs.
4- probably the most important of all, meet more and more trad archers.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #35
shortstroke 91
Eight Point

Rebuild my shot, I haven't shot an arrow for several months now to try and "reset" my brain. TP was killing me last year.
Get to more shoots, working Saturdays put a big hurting on that.
Most importantly I need to fix the left shoulder pain that's keeping me from getting a good nights sleep.
shortstroke 91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #36
R.Armendariz
Eight Point

Hunt In: South tx.

My goal for this year is to get better shooting accuracy with wood arrows.Last year was the first time I shot wood arrows in a 3 d shoot and I nearly gave up in the last half of course cause they didn't go were I wanted. I have some quality shafts from Nocking Point that I want to get finished and tweaked to fly straight.
R.Armendariz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #37
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Start shooting again is my goal. I gave up trad full time after a second back surgery in 2007. I think I still have 8 bows or so, but most are over 50#. I do have a 40# 1970-1972 Bear Super Kodiak I will probably start out shooting. I think I will pick up a longbow in the hybrid style or one with heavy r/d. I always shot those the better than recurves. However, I have had 2 bicep surgeries (right in 2013 and the left in 2016), then a 3rd back surgery in June 2017. So if I buy a new bow I want something in the 40-45# range. I have a nice take down longbow in osage and cocobolo I built for a SD mule deer hunt in 2006. But it's 52#. I suspect that's going to be too heavy with all the injuries/surgeries I've had.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #38
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Well I've gotten one done. Shot in a TBOT shoot.
Want to hunt more but making money, the ranch and scouting is taking way too many weekends.
So I want to kill at least 6 pigs with my trad bows by deer season.
Gain that confidence Bisch talks about.
Keep having fun with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #39
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

a TBoT buckle
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #40
gettin closer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales

Although I accomplished my goal last year by taking my first Trad buck, at the end of last season I wanted to become more consistent. My goal was tear everything down and start over. Back in January there was an Imersion Clinic with Tom Clum and Joel Turner. It was amazing! Now that everything is "rebuilt", my goal for the rest of the year is to continue to practice and refine my new form and mental shot sequence. I am proud to say that I am already more consistent and the target panic is gone. It is funny... now when I shoot a hog, I am Cool hand Luke. 2 seconds after the shot, I become a jitter bug that drank a pot of coffee in those 2 seconds. Coolest thing ever!
gettin closer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin closer View Post
Although I accomplished my goal last year by taking my first Trad buck, at the end of last season I wanted to become more consistent. My goal was tear everything down and start over. Back in January there was an Imersion Clinic with Tom Clum and Joel Turner. It was amazing! Now that everything is "rebuilt", my goal for the rest of the year is to continue to practice and refine my new form and mental shot sequence. I am proud to say that I am already more consistent and the target panic is gone. It is funny... now when I shoot a hog, I am Cool hand Luke. 2 seconds after the shot, I become a jitter bug that drank a pot of coffee in those 2 seconds. Coolest thing ever!
That "jitter" is why we do it!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #42
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hey the thread got bumped... so far I seem to have made some progress on my goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.
This will take time, but I at least broke the slump streak. I've been in a better mood generally and have been really looking forward to some upcoming hunting opportunities more. Whereas I would look at a hunt as an opportunity to get out of the slump... I'm more looking forward to just having fun.

Quote:
I could have easily set a numbers goal for the Javi hunt, but I didn't. In the end I went 2-2 on Javis which is the best I have ever done on one these hunts since picking up any kind of bow. I dropped a 5 rabbits, but I also took a lot less shots on them too as I was more patient and just enjoyed the walks.

Quote:
3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)
Not till August... so...

Quote:
4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.
I have switched to Simmons Tiger Sharks as my go-to BH medium+ game for now. I'm not 100% sure that they are performing all that better than the Zwickeys. It is not like I am getting drastically better results, but they are proving to be tough and I have some confidence in them.

Quote:
5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.
I have completed 610 of the 1000 miles so far so I am in good shape there.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #43
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

3. Take a javelina or 2 plus some pigs when my wife and I, along with some friends from NC, make a hunt in south Texas the last week in February.

4. Get back into 3d shooting.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.
1. Scheduled for a hunt in Maine the last weekend in August. I'll be in an all traditional camp with the guys from Black Widow bows. The biggest bear will win a new Black Widow bow.
2. TBH trad hog hunt coming up in April.
3. Shot a nice pig in Live Oak County.
4. Still haven't shot any 3d.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #44
DRT
Pope & Young

"I have completed 610 of the 1000 miles so far so I am in good shape there."

At this pace you should be able to get well over a 1000. Bump it to 1600.

Last edited by DRT; 03-22-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #45
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Just bought my first recurve, a Samick Sage. Didn’t want to break the bank, just get started flinging arrows and have fun. Been shooting a borrowed bow the last three times I shot until I decided to get my own. Want to shoot some 3d with my daughter and hopefully be confident in my abilities and ready to hunt late this year or early spring. Ram or javalina hunt I think. Just enjoying it for now.
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #46
Bisch
Pope & Young

Welcome aboard Outback77! I see you are in Azle. There are a lot of trad folks around DFW. Also, Cowtown Bowmen will be hosting an all trad recurve shoot the weekend of April 28th. You should make a point to make that shoot, as Cowtown is famous for setting very good courses!!!!

Bisch

Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #47
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Thanks Bisch,

I’ve shot cowtown with my compound a few times and enjoy the course and always have enjoyed the company.
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #48
G Posik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can

Spend more time in the mountains chasing elk and mule deer. I have a new recurve and it is dialed in. Last year I did very little hunting, this year planning on a lot with lots of death from the new recurve.

Glenn

G Posik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #49
duck'n
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco and Hidalgo Counties

My main goal is to spend more time at the ranch. I have not had a lease in quite some time and had been duck hunting more than anything but it lost its' appeal three years ago. I had not bowhunted in a long time until two years ago when I shot my first javelina with a compound as a guest on my buddies lease in Zapata County. After that, I was invited to another ranch where I hunted an impromptu ground blind and got a shot on a doe but hit a branch and missed. I remembered that year how much I really enjoy bowhunting. Last year I went "hunting" at my friends ranch in Blanco three times but two of those weekends we just hung out and worked on his house. The third time I actually hunted and was fortunate to make a great shot on a tasty young spike with my compound. For this year, I don't plan on selling my compound just yet, as I really like shooting all kinds of bows but I would like to rely more on either the recurve or the longbow this year. However, I don't want to put pressure on my first this or my first that. I found last year that when I took the pressure off myself to shoot something, it all fell into place. I want to continue that trend because what little I bowhunted last year were some of the best memories I have of sitting in a stand or in a tree. That reminds me, after hunting the ground down here in the brush for a long time (gun and bow) I really enjoyed getting back up in the oak trees last year. Didn't think I would miss it as much as I did.

Last edited by duck'n; 03-24-2018 at 01:42 PM.
duck'n is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #50
tradslam
Eight Point

Saw this thread pop up, must be the timing. I'm strongly thinking about going all in with the recurve. If I draw the trophy elk, and a mountain goat tag, I'm going to need some green screen therapy to follow through!

I was laying them in there at 50yards the other day, and 40yards was golden. The stress of hard to get tags!!!!!!