Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Drilling Consultants AKA Company Men

Hello Gents,

Now that things are picking up...who's hiring drilling consultants with DD experience? Hoping to network and get my foot in the door. Resume is ready!

Do you have any leads, or you are a DC or Co Man currently, and have insider info???

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by SonOfTheSouth; 05-08-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: wording
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
DNew
Ten Point
 
DNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

Good Luck! Drilling is really picking up.
DNew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Froggy
Pope & Young
 
Froggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Decatur, Texas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Gyrodata

Check out Gyrodata. I worked for them for 9 years back in the 1980's.

http://www.gyrodata.com/careers/
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNew View Post
Good Luck! Drilling is really picking up.
DNew where are you working at?
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Check out Gyrodata. I worked for them for 9 years back in the 1980's.

http://www.gyrodata.com/careers/
Thanks Froggy, but I am already a directional driller. Trying to break into a DC/Company man role.
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
TX03RUBI
Eight Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Default

It seems that EWS is running a LOT of consultants out in the Permian.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
It seems that EWS is running a LOT of consultants out in the Permian.
thanks for the heads up. Will send resume...
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Hix
Ten Point
 
Hix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Longview
Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.
Default

Send your resume to every consultant firm you can find with good references. As well as any companymen you have made a good impression with in your directional career.
With the wells being drilled today companies are glad to have a CM with a directional background, especially if you have roughnecking, drilling and toolpusher experience before hand.

Good luck

I here chances are best if you look west!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Consulting firms are filling the positions for most operators now days. I know SM was looking for some a while back because I was contacted about it I just didn’t want to go that route career wise. Many of them Chevron, Apache, and so on have been using engineers in the positions to save money. Directional with a drilling background or the guys that went through pushing tools up command quite a bit of money still even though rates aren’t all that great like they were


I probably don’t have to tell you but turnover and layoffs are probably the worst with that job. Very very hard to find guys doing that who stayed working consistently through either bust. Obviously there were some but lots of experienced or qualified people available

Last edited by bphillips; 05-08-2018 at 12:59 PM.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Send your resume to every consultant firm you can find with good references. As well as any companymen you have made a good impression with in your directional career.
With the wells being drilled today companies are glad to have a CM with a directional background, especially if you have roughnecking, drilling and toolpusher experience before hand.

Good luck

I here chances are best if you look west!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resume has been sent to many many firms. Just a lot of guys still coming back with experience that I am competing against. Will take some time or luck.

Keith
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Consulting firms are filling the positions for most operators now days. I know SM was looking for some a while back because I was contacted about it I just didn’t want to go that route career wise. Many of them Chevron, Apache, and so on have been using engineers in the positions to save money. Directional with a drilling background or the guys that went through pushing tools up command quite a bit of money still even though rates aren’t all that great like they were


I probably don’t have to tell you but turnover and layoffs are probably the worst with that job. Very very hard to find guys doing that who stayed working consistently through either bust. Obviously there were some but lots of experienced or qualified people available
That's certainly the risk. I figure if I get let go I can still go back as directional. Speaking of rates, consultants are making some good coin now. But in my opinion DD rates have been lagging.
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheSouth View Post
That's certainly the risk. I figure if I get let go I can still go back as directional. Speaking of rates, consultants are making some good coin now. But in my opinion DD rates have been lagging.
Yea theyíve come back faster than ours but most those guys have some good experience. Donít forget to ask how much the firm takes also. Some itís already factored in and some not. I know a few guys with what they actually get and being 14/14 end up less than me. Days off are nice though. Iíll be in an office job before long and be home most days of the week then and Iím ready for that
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Yea theyíve come back faster than ours but most those guys have some good experience. Donít forget to ask how much the firm takes also. Some itís already factored in and some not. I know a few guys with what they actually get and being 14/14 end up less than me. Days off are nice though. Iíll be in an office job before long and be home most days of the week then and Iím ready for that
That's great to hear. With your current company? Remember my buddy David Rawson is over there now. Good ole 601 hand
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheSouth View Post
That's great to hear. With your current company? Remember my buddy David Rawson is over there now. Good ole 601 hand
Yes sir. Rawson is a great guy.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

bump
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
BlackoutRam2500
Six Point
 
BlackoutRam2500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Son,

I'm in the same boat. Been trying to cross over too. I figure if I can't do it now with all the work that's picking up then when? LOL!

I even took the wild well course a few weeks back (I had the 2nd highest score in my class right under a company man that had been doing it 40 years)

I also run a staffing company for DD's so if you ever need a spot or know some other guys looking to move around give me a holla.
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
Kodiakk
Ten Point
 
Kodiakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Humble
Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Check out Gyrodata. I worked for them for 9 years back in the 1980's.

http://www.gyrodata.com/careers/
I wouldn't suggest Gyrodata any longer. Things have really changed here, and not for the better sadly.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #18
BlackoutRam2500
Six Point
 
BlackoutRam2500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
I wouldn't suggest Gyrodata any longer. Things have really changed here, and not for the better sadly.

What do you do for them Kodiakk?
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
Son,

I'm in the same boat. Been trying to cross over too. I figure if I can't do it now with all the work that's picking up then when? LOL!

I even took the wild well course a few weeks back (I had the 2nd highest score in my class right under a company man that had been doing it 40 years)

I also run a staffing company for DD's so if you ever need a spot or know some other guys looking to move around give me a holla.
PM sent
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
MidlandTXHunter
Eight Point
 
MidlandTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midland, TX
Hunt In: Irion County, TX and Maverick County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
It seems that EWS is running a LOT of consultants out in the Permian.
Ews is a great outfit!!
MidlandTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #21
MidlandTXHunter
Eight Point
 
MidlandTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midland, TX
Hunt In: Irion County, TX and Maverick County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheSouth View Post
That's great to hear. With your current company? Remember my buddy David Rawson is over there now. Good ole 601 hand
Ole Rawson is a great guy
MidlandTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
SonOfTheSouth
Eight Point
 
SonOfTheSouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandTXHunter View Post
Ole Rawson is a great guy
sure is. First lead hand I worked with when I became a DD for big red.
SonOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com