Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #51
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I can't help you there. I'd go to the Spyder on hunts like those. I'm WEAK!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #52
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

No joke!
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #53
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

I wan to beat Rick Barbee in a weekly trad challenge for once and Id love to win an argument with Ragin and/or Smart. It'll never happen but a fella can dream cant he?
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #54
DRT
Pope & Young

Well last year I had goals of shooting to 30 yards and killing more critters.
Getting some of it done. Getting closer to last years goals but it's taking longer than I expected.
I practice more at 25 and 30. Since I got the Tall Tines I feel more confident at longer ranges.
Not that a hunting shot that far is something I'd take but this pig don't know that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #55
Bisch
Pope & Young

Well, my continual goal at this point is to somehow get back to being able to shoot like I did before jacking up the nerve in my neck. In June, it will be 2yrs, and although it is better somewhat, it is still so far behind that there are many days where I just feel like giving up and quitting!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Bisch; 05-10-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #56
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Well, my continual goal at this point is to somehow get back to being able to shoot like I did before jacking up the nerve in my neck. In June, it will be 2yrs, and although it is better somewhat, it is still so far behind that there are many days where I just feel like giving up and quitting!!!!!

Bisch

Did they fuse your vertebrae? That seems to be the standard method of treatment from the three orthopedic surgeons I've seen.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #57
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Your 2018 Trad Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Did they fuse your vertebrae? That seems to be the standard method of treatment from the three orthopedic surgeons I've seen.

No, there has been nothing done medically. My personal Dr pretty much told me there is nothing that can be done unless it happens again or gets worse. In that case there is the possibility of a surgery. There is no real pain that hurts. Just weakness in left arm and hand, and inability to consistently aim a bow because of it.

Bisch

Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #58
Maddog20/20
Four Point

Quote:
No, there has been nothing done medically. My personal Dr pretty much told me there is nothing that can be done unless it happens again or gets worse. In that case there is the possibility of a surgery. There is no real pain that hurts. Just weakness in left arm and hand, and inability to consistently aim a bow because of it.

Bisch

Based on that last sentence, my new revised goal is to shoot against Bisch for money....

In all seriousness, sorry about your issues. Iíve got a wife with a back thatís in a similar situation. Basically, suffer until itís bad enough to risk surgery.
Maddog20/20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #59
Featherflinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker, Wise, Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherflinger View Post
I want to post 18 trad kills on this thread for 2018! Not counting rabbits, squirrels, fish, and raccoons. Not likely but maybe Iíll get lucky!
Iíd also like to get back to shooting 3D well. Iíve had some issues with accuracy and consistency shooting 3D over the last few years and feel like it may be coming back. I hope so!
I was kind of just kidding when I said 18 kills for 2018 but now I really want to do it. 11 so far!😜👍
Featherflinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #60
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

You can do it!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #61
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:

Bisch

Sorry to hear it Bisch!! I'm having trouble too and don't have any reason for it. I had been shooting great, then a few weeks ago got into a slump I can't seem to shake. It's so bad I got an inexpensive compound. I'm gonna take a couple weeks off from shooting trad altogether after I get back from Chester and see if maybe that will help. I still shoot decent at 15 and under, but past that if I can put 3 out of 4 arrows in a block target I'm doing good. I'll never give up but I'm definitely gonna have to take a break.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #62
TexasBowtech
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise /montauge

Get my first trade kill. Deer pig r turkey
TexasBowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #63
DRT
Pope & Young

Well we're past the half way point.
I've put some pigs down.
Shoot well at 20 and better at 25. 30 is still tough.
Tuned up and shooting well overall with 50lbs st my dl with a recurve. Got a deposit in for a long bow.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #64
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

One of my goals every year is to win longbow or recurve open at Chester or Vanderpool. I won Chester longbow open so I can check that off the list.

For the rest of 2018, my goal is to enjoy/cherish my hunting trips more. I've been focused on kills in the past but with my daughter coming in September it will mean less trips. Hopefully I am blessed with a few shot opportunities this season. Last season there were to few considering all the effort,time, and money.
ballgame is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #65
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Mid year check in.

Quote:
1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.
I can honestly say that I'm pretty sure I have put the past in the past. I've taken away from it what I need to take away, and have let go what I don't. I've moved off the old lease and am on a smaller place that is all to myself. I've put a lot of work into it with the wife and kiddos and that really helped reset things.

Quote:
2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.
So far so good. I haven't and won't even have any expectations around harvesting a deer this year. New place, new county, new restrictions make it that much more difficult. Just rolling with the punches.

Quote:
3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)
This is coming up and just around the corner.

Quote:
4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.
I have switched to Simmons Tiger Sharks and couldn't be happier. They were great on Turkeys, Javis, and Pigs so far. I now just use the Zwickeys as backup or arrows for smaller critters like jacks, coons, etc.

Quote:
5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.
I should have been done with this by now. I was on track to finish by Mid May... but that stupid surgery put me behind by more than 2 months. I am sitting at 920 miles in... and should reach that goal within the next few weeks.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 07-17-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #66
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame View Post
One of my goals every year is to win longbow or recurve open at Chester or Vanderpool. I won Chester longbow open so I can check that off the list.

For the rest of 2018, my goal is to enjoy/cherish my hunting trips more. I've been focused on kills in the past but with my daughter coming in September it will mean less trips. Hopefully I am blessed with a few shot opportunities this season. Last season there were to few considering all the effort,time, and money.
Congrats again Bob. That is a difficult goal to achieve and a big deal you could check that one off.

I'm in the same boat somewhat this year. Although my new place is closer, I think I will be making shorter trips than I have done before. What I learned from last year is that the natural tendency (for me at least) is to want to rush because of lack in time being out there (perceived or real) and that I really just need to slow down and enjoy the hunt, and let it come to me rather than trying to force it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #67
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
On the books, 2018 looks to be a crazy year already with lots of adventures ahead including putting a check mark next to one of my bucket list hunts.
GOALS

1) SHOOT MORE!!!! I really didn't shoot as much as I usually do this past year, but that has got to change this year!

With a lil one on the ground and all the other things in life, this has been a tough one for me to do, but I feel like I've practiced a lot more this year than I have in the last 2 or 3. On days I don't have time, I'll go out to the shop and shoot at night after the wife and little one are in bed just to get a few shots in and work on form.

2) Build up and shoot my heavy bows comfortably.

This has to be the one I've worked on the most. Since about mid March, I have faithfully been in the gym at least 4 days a week working with a trainer on my lunch hours trying to build my muscles up and within the last 3 weeks or so, it has really started to show in my shooting. When I started shooting my "warm-up" 65lb bow back in January, a dozen shots in and I was done shooting comfortably. Now, I can shoot it just like I am used to shooting my 47lb target bow and my 76lb hunting bow is actually comfortable to shoot now as well. Didn't know if I'd be able to say that or not!

3) Spend more time in the woods with family.

Been too hot as of late, but spent a quite a bit of time taking folks out during turkey season. Was able to get my wife on a bird and my sister-in-law on an awesome double beard.

4) Pick a spot, and put an arrow perfectly into a Cape Buffalo for a clean kill!

45 days and counting!!!!

5) Have more fun shooting. I got into a bad slump just before hunting season, and am still fighting it now and again, but gotta loosen up and roll with it.
Everything feels great right now and I've really enjoyed all my outings this season (as far as I can remember anyhow). I know there has been a few bumps in the road along the way, but I've figured out they are just bumps and the rest of the road is as smooth as I make it out to be.

Sure can't wait for hunting season!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MedicineMan7; 07-17-2018 at 03:13 PM.
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #68
BradyH
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Where I can. Public lands

Trad Goals for 2018.
Well my twins will go to school this fall and I will go back to hunting this year. I have not hunted in 5 years and have never killed anything with a bow. I have shot a trad bow off and on for almost 10years. Mainly fun in my back yard.
1) This year I hope to get out as much in the woods as possible and get a chance at a shot.
2) Shoot an hour a day 3-4 times a week to really work out and "perfect" my form.
3) Meet more trad shooters.
4) Shoot some 3d matches.
5) Learn more. Shooting and hunting.
BradyH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top