Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #51
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I missed by one bummer
Sure a lot of #’s in the 400’s for a random pick
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #52
TXOUTLAW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I'm sure you'd like to hunt where I do lol! I saw your selfie post of "Death Valley", which wasn't where I was! Theres only 1 person that hunts there that knows, or you got intel leaked from inside, or you found my arrow which I doubt. Still calling BS!
Now i did find an arrow in my trek down there. Hmmm that might be the spot. Lol I doubt it was yours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #53
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
I missed by one bummer
Sure a lot of #ís in the 400ís for a random pick
Conspiracy!!
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #54
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Conspiracy!!
Yup I heard the guy that runs Random.org is from the Valley
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #55
T-Bolt
Ten Point

Didnít get drawn this time. Good luck to all that did.
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #56
Ryan-in-SA1
Spike

Hunt In: Low Fence, near Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Wow that,is around 2% chance of drawing
You missed a digit there. 320 applications for 80 permits is ~25%

Anyway I heard it ended up being a little over 500 apps. So ~15% chance. Sadly I wasn't one of them.
Ryan-in-SA1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #57
TXOUTLAW
Six Point

well it's a shame no one from the GS was selected. guess we just miss out all together, can't even follow along with someone else. till next year!
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #58
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
well it's a shame no one from the GS was selected. guess we just miss out all together, can't even follow along with someone else. till next year!
Several TBHrs got drawn. There is another thread about laguna that has the guys on it that were drawn.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #59
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Concepcion, Tx

I was drawn. Iíll do my best to update around the fire. Donít think it will be live but probably update at the end of everyday. Iíll see if I have service where Iím headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #60
TXOUTLAW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmauler View Post
I was drawn. Iíll do my best to update around the fire. Donít think it will be live but probably update at the end of everyday. Iíll see if I have service where Iím headed.

That would be great! Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #61
Bryan2014
Four Point

Hunt In: Burleson county, Menard County, Alaska

looking forward to following along!
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #62
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmauler View Post

How'd it go? Hopefully you're tired and sore from packing out Nilgai.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #63
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Concepcion, Tx
Default Laguna atascosa Emergency hunt-April

My hunt is this weekend. I donít know of anybody that could fill us in on how this past weekend went. Anybody know?

mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #64
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck

Default Hunt info

How did y'all find out about the hunt? I only heard after the drawing was completed. Was it on the news, or do we sign up somewhere to be on a list?

Wish I knew. Was out there last year for exotic only archery hunt. Was the most relaxing and fun 5 days in the field I've ever done. Might not have been relaxing if I'd killed one. Would like to go back.
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #65
JackRyan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
How did y'all find out about the hunt? I only heard after the drawing was completed. Was it on the news, or do we sign up somewhere to be on a list?

Wish I knew. Was out there last year for exotic only archery hunt. Was the most relaxing and fun 5 days in the field I've ever done. Might not have been relaxing if I'd killed one. Would like to go back.
It was posted on their Facebook page.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #66
jbw899
Four Point

Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere

I was also drawn for this upcoming weekend. Sent a FB message to the refuge about last weekend. They only killed 8.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #67
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw899 View Post
I was also drawn for this upcoming weekend. Sent a FB message to the refuge about last weekend. They only killed 8.

Wow thatís too bad. Thanks for sharing. Wonder why the low numbers...
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #68
JackRyan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Wow thatís too bad. Thanks for sharing. Wonder why the low numbers...
There were only 40 permits. I'm sure some were hunting in pairs or groups. I know two guys who shot a bull Saturday morning and left after they dealt with it, they didn't even go back on Sunday.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #69
jbw899
Four Point

I've bowhunted it, shouldn't be that hard to kill one with a rifle unless you're really picky or really lazy. The guys that killed one and left aren't doing us any favors. If hunters don't kill more the refuge may just go back to aerial hunts and we'll all be sol.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #70
Txcatsailor01
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
I've bowhunted it, shouldn't be that hard to kill one with a rifle unless you're really picky or really lazy. The guys that killed one and left aren't doing us any favors. If hunters don't kill more the refuge may just go back to aerial hunts and we'll all be sol.
I have to wonder how much economics plays into the decision making. Instead of spending thousands of dollars hiring a chopper, shooters, & ppl to recover animals; they are generating thousands of dollars and having all of the heavy lifting done for them. You would think that it would be a no brainer.

.....That is unless the staff are getting free chopper shoots??
Txcatsailor01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #71
jbw899
Four Point

A few years ago they proposed doing helicopter hunts throughout the whole refuge. I may not be remembering correctly, but I believe a private company was going to conduct the hunt and sell the meat. Not sure of the financials but the refuge may not have had to pay since the company got the meat and sells it for a ridiculous amount online. They changed the plan to donating the meat instead of selling but eventually canceled the whole thing after a lot of people complained. There are threads about it somewhere on tbh. I doubt they make much, if any, on the hunts by the time you consider the staffing expenses associated with the hunt. They really want to reduce numbers and 8 barely makes a dent.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #72
onthetake
Four Point

They plan on resuming nilgia helicopter eradication after the "emergency hunt" is over.
onthetake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #73
onthetake
Four Point

Article
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #74
onthetake
Four Point

Last time it was public comments that stopped the helicopter slaughter. Stopping the helicopter shoots is why there is why there are so many nilgia right now as evident by the success hunters enjoyed in this year's hunts. It's a shame so many hunters are willing to pay for the opportunity to utilize this public resource but they only allow a handful of hunts. I already sent an email protesting the helicopter shoots without first giving every public hunter the chance to utilize this public resource. When they.run put of people willing to pay to hunt then they can resort to chopper shoots.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #75
Txcatsailor01
Four Point

Quote:
A few years ago they proposed doing helicopter hunts throughout the whole refuge. I may not be remembering correctly, but I believe a private company was going to conduct the hunt and sell the meat. Not sure of the financials but the refuge may not have had to pay since the company got the meat and sells it for a ridiculous amount online. They changed the plan to donating the meat instead of selling but eventually canceled the whole thing after a lot of people complained. There are threads about it somewhere on tbh. I doubt they make much, if any, on the hunts by the time you consider the staffing expenses associated with the hunt. They really want to reduce numbers and 8 barely makes a dent.

I'm not sure I would agree. 8 animals a weekend that does not cost any more than rescheduling your staff? Extrapolate that out to two or three hunts a month with no real capital outlay, the population on the reserve could be controlled. Plus you have to assume there is a staffing increase even when the chopper hunts are being conducted.

I've never really understood the excitement of controlling herd populations on the NWR when all of the neighboring land holders welcome the animal as a revenue and food source? It's not like the NWR is high fence controlled.

My humble $0.02
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #76
jbw899
Four Point

Default nilgai bull

I posted pics and story on "Laguna Atascosa hunters..where are you?" thread. Attached a pic here too.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #77
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
I posted pics and story on "Laguna Atascosa hunters..where are you?" thread. Attached a pic here too.
Nice bull. Congrats
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #78
Txcatsailor01
Four Point

Congrats! Nice looking Bull.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #79
TradAg02
Ten Point

IMO it is like most refuges, they are run primarily by environmentalists who are not proponents of hunting. Every weekend that is open to hunting closes part of the refuge to research and general public use. To compound the issue, the majority of the visitors to these parks are not hunters so it is easier to explain that the refuge is closed for a weekend for the efficient removal of a nuisance than it is to explain that it is closed due to a monthly hunt. I believe this is also one of the reasons that many draw hunts are scheduled during the week.

If you look at most states it is clear that economics do not drive the decision making process when it comes to wildlife population control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetake View Post
Last time it was public comments that stopped the helicopter slaughter. Stopping the helicopter shoots is why there is why there are so many nilgia right now as evident by the success hunters enjoyed in this year's hunts. It's a shame so many hunters are willing to pay for the opportunity to utilize this public resource but they only allow a handful of hunts. I already sent an email protesting the helicopter shoots without first giving every public hunter the chance to utilize this public resource. When they.run put of people willing to pay to hunt then they can resort to chopper shoots.
The name of the company is Broken Arrow. This company was the one hired to do the helicopter hunts. This company is making a killing on this meat and all we can do is watch. In the meantime "Joe Public" is willing pay for these hunts, instead if you want the meat you have to buy it from "Broken Arrow". I too sent an email protesting the hunts. In my opinion, Texas probably has the least public land than most other states and by allowing a company to hunt them out of helicopter you take away the "Public Land" status and turn it into private land. I really hope they don't bring have those helicopter hunts anymore and allow the public to pay and hunt them.
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #81
Brown E
Four Point

I agree on the lack of public hunting in this state. Refuge hunting is one of the few places. I know in Wisconsin if they did helicopter hunts there would be an uproar.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #82
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Code:
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown E View Post
I agree on the lack of public hunting in this state. Refuge hunting is one of the few places. I know in Wisconsin if they did helicopter hunts there would be an uproar.
Can't even compare this to Wisconsin hunting. They aren't shooting white tails out of the choppers, they're shooting an invasive species. And when 40 hunters harvest 8, you can't say we can control the population by allowing to people to. hunt.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top