Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX
Default San Jacinto County Food Plot Advice

I have a 150 acre lease near the trinity river that I want to plant some food plots on. We have a powerline and a few smaller spots for plots that total roughly 3.5 acres. I have an 80 hp tractor so I'm thinking about getting a 6' tiller and want to know who makes a good one that yall would recommend? The areas just have grass that I will cut and should I also kill it or will tilling it be enough?

Also looking for recommendations on what to plant. I'll get a soil sample and get it analyzed so I can figure out what I need to add in.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County and Denton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
I have a 150 acre lease near the trinity river that I want to plant some food plots on. We have a powerline and a few smaller spots for plots that total roughly 3.5 acres. I have an 80 hp tractor so I'm thinking about getting a 6' tiller and want to know who makes a good one that yall would recommend? The areas just have grass that I will cut and should I also kill it or will tilling it be enough?

Also looking for recommendations on what to plant. I'll get a soil sample and get it analyzed so I can figure out what I need to add in.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Spraying and killing is a huge plus in my opinion, Iím out west but buck forage oats, wheat, elbon rye and Austrian winter peas are what I use. Good luck and a tiller will be a very nice tool to have, I want one but canít warrant the cost for just food plots. Good luck! Dry creek and some of the other guys have way more knowedlge and weíre a big help for me this past year.
TTU TX Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

The first year I would spray and kill. After that only as needed. When you disc and turn roots over the plants gonna die.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

The areas highlighted in yellow are the areas I would like to plant. Since I'm already late to the game for spring plots I may just try to do do an acre for a test trial and just get all the tilling, grass killing and lime done to get ready for the fall plots.

I was just planning on renting a 6' tiller from sunbelt for $170 a week but now I may just go ahead and buy a used one I found for $1200.

TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

We dont spray and our fields turn out great every year, as long as they get timely rains. Tiller is awesome, but slower than a disc in my dry soil. I like to use a big disc on our larger plots. Our deer love everything we plant. BobOats, Winter Wheat, Austrian Winter Peas, IC Peas, Clovers, Rape, Chicory, etc....
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top