Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
varminthunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Hext,TX
Default Exotic Breeding

Question out there - I am finishing up a couple pens that total close to 10 acres - probably 3.5 and 6.5 acres. Going to run a few deer in there for pleasure and also to sell a few of the bucks as they get big over the years. Does also I am sure to population control. Making a little money on them will be nice but not the total reason for having exotics in there.

What do you feel is the best animal or animals for this. I am in the air between axis and fallow. I feel like fallow will eat less protein than the axis but the axis might be a little more hardy. Both should grow a pretty impressive set of horns by three on protein and sell well I think. Would like to have Trans Caspian Urial sheep but cant afford those or swallow the loss if one dies.....

We are just north of Stephenville near Lipan so we do get some cold snaps.

Thanks for the advice!!

WS
varminthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
kingranch
Ten Point

id call raz livestock and see what advice they give, they are one of the largest auctions in central tx for exotics

http://www.razlivestock.com
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Fallow. Better market for Fallow. You can find Axis readily available, no so on Fallow.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
varminthunter
Six Point

Raz is a good spot - thanks for the link. I have bought a lot exotics and sold quite a few over the past few years just have not put them in a pen to breed. Always turned them out as shooters or had them in a segregated pasture. I have a herd of Blackbucks that have done great and small herd of oryx that should have some babies anytime now. Ive had them for about a year.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Fallow. Better market for Fallow. You can find Axis readily available, no so on Fallow.
thats what I have been noticing also. there is very few breeders selling stock for breeding and release that are trophy size. If you know anyone please PM me!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

Not sure what the price tag is (I imagine they aren’t cheap) but I always thought Eld’s deer would be cool to raise and have around.
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostey22 View Post
Not sure what the price tag is (I imagine they arenít cheap) but I always thought Eldís deer would be cool to raise and have around.
Those are really cool! I had to google them, had not heard of them.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default Bugscuffle

Back when the Bugscuffle ranch was bow only they were getting rid of all their fallow because they tore up the fences so bad from fighting. Iíve never heard of other ranchers having that problem so maybe it was something in the water.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
Back when the Bugscuffle ranch was bow only they were getting rid of all their fallow because they tore up the fences so bad from fighting. Iíve never heard of other ranchers having that problem so maybe it was something in the water.
Sounds like a good excuse to bust out the dart gun and cut some horns!!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
TKRanch
Eight Point

I have had fallow years ago and they are fighting machines! Had them tear up fences as well as get wire and hay twine in their antlers and get hooked on trees and each other... Good luck.
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Get a very big fallow and some good doe. You will have no issues selling for top dollar. Research where the doe come from. You don’t want what’s on 99% of ranches.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
Get a very big fallow and some good doe. You will have no issues selling for top dollar. Research where the doe come from. You donít want whatís on 99% of ranches.
Thats the direction I have been leaning. Thanks for the input.

WS
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRanch View Post
I have had fallow years ago and they are fighting machines! Had them tear up fences as well as get wire and hay twine in their antlers and get hooked on trees and each other... Good luck.
That's what they said at the Bugscuffle. Said they'd fight other species as well. He told me there was even an instance when one was beating up on a red stag!
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
TAMU84
Four Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I raise axis, fallow, blackbuck and sika. Send me a pm if you are interested and I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages to the different species.
TAMU84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #15
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

What are yalls thoughts on red deer? Good market? Elk?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU84 View Post
I raise axis, fallow, blackbuck and sika. Send me a pm if you are interested and I can tell you the advantages/disadvantages to the different species.
There are new regulations on them with the CWD issue and I dont really want to be regulated or a part of a "breeding program" that requires me to report back to the state on what I have and have not tested every year. I could be off on that, as I am still learning about the industry myself. I also cant imagine that protein and alfalfa bill, but my boys would love it! I am not suppose to put whitetails in there, but will be checking on that.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #17
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU84 View Post
PM Sent! Look forward to talking with you.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I saw a couple silk behind a HF near Garven Store the other day... they were pretty impressive.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminthunter View Post
There are new regulations on them with the CWD issue and I dont really want to be regulated or a part of a "breeding program" that requires me to report back to the state on what I have and have not tested every year. I could be off on that, as I am still learning about the industry myself. I also cant imagine that protein and alfalfa bill, but my boys would love it! I am not suppose to put whitetails in there, but will be checking on that.
Pretty sure fallow are not included in the cwd restrictions.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #20
Catarina
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Brooks, and Zavala

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking of having blackbuck since they multiple so fast, with a goal of selling around 100 animals (bucks & does) each year.

Or going with some African antelope that isint on every single ranch in Texas. Goal would be to sell 10-25 animals each year of that species.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Fallow are doing much better, market wise right now. Axis are just all over and the market is saturated. I personally would prefer axis because I would keep a doe in the freezer. If you wanted to make a little cash to suplememt the hobby, I would choose an animal that always has value and not just maturity value. For example: kudu have value at the time they are born, ibex was like this a year or 2 ago and now everyone is raising them. If I was going to choose one animal for myself as the market sets now- bongo.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #22
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking of having blackbuck since they multiple so fast, with a goal of selling around 100 animals (bucks & does) each year.

Or going with some African antelope that isint on every single ranch in Texas. Goal would be to sell 10-25 animals each year of that species.
We have an blackbuck herd out at our ranch. Started with 5 about 10 years ago and the herd has peeked at around 100 animals. We have taken a few does and bucks over the years but nothing major. Supplemented the gene pool two years ago with a nice group of does. This past fall we sold 40 animals and hope to do that same number or close from here on out. Ever need a good guy to buy from PM and Ill shoot you my exotic guys number. He sets up his trap in my pasture and takes care of everything. Really helps with moving the animals with minimal trauma. Blackbucks are easy keepers too.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #23
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
Fallow are doing much better, market wise right now. Axis are just all over and the market is saturated. I personally would prefer axis because I would keep a doe in the freezer. If you wanted to make a little cash to suplememt the hobby, I would choose an animal that always has value and not just maturity value. For example: kudu have value at the time they are born, ibex was like this a year or 2 ago and now everyone is raising them. If I was going to choose one animal for myself as the market sets now- bongo.
I would love to have Bongo - they are my all time favorite animal. Someday....
Old 03-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

I'm working on building some pens to do the same thing right now. I'm going with super exotics. Haven't decided on what animals I'm going with yet.The way I see it is it cost's the same to raise an axis or fallow vs an impala or ibex, The initial cost to purchase the animals is much more but the profit us much more.
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Super exotics are great but the initial investment is HIGH. Impala seem to fetch a good price and don't eat near as much as the supers. Fallow eat much more. We have enjoyed raising exotics and it has really helped with our ranch operating costs. Vast majority are live sales with a few hunts sprinkled in there.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #26
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Good thread. This is why I dig TBH
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
Raypo
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Super exotics are great but the initial investment is HIGH. Impala seem to fetch a good price and don't eat near as much as the supers. Fallow eat much more. We have enjoyed raising exotics and it has really helped with our ranch operating costs. Vast majority are live sales with a few hunts sprinkled in there.
Agreed! The exotic industry evolves very quickly. Now many ranchers have ďsuper exoticsĒ. I donít think you can set your mind on one specie. I did this with ibex a while back, because weaned kids were selling for $2,500. This then appealed to many people and the market became saturated. Get in, get out. Get it while itís hot and move to something else. Mule deer are the same way. Now embryo transfer with mule deer, with an whitetail carrier is common. 400in mule deer! The opportunity with exotics is to stop the reverse management. So, instead of shooting every 25in, 4 year old aoudad. Let them grow. Very seldom does a 40in axis die of old age, or a 38in aoudad...etc. Tough market with razor thin margins. Pay to play! When it takes 8 years to have a mature animal you better have a lot of grass and a low feed bill. Volume or quality
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #28
Rustled Again
Six Point

Hunt In: Hext

I think you need a good herd of longhorns.
Rustled Again is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #29
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

I'd go fallow. As much as I hate to say it, call Dr. Joe Ables to get some good genetic animals. I'd stay away from axis as they are everywhere. I would look at either Ibex or some of the big *** sheep hybrids.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
varminthunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I'd go fallow. As much as I hate to say it, call Dr. Joe Ables to get some good genetic animals. I'd stay away from axis as they are everywhere. I would look at either Ibex or some of the big *** sheep hybrids.
I had a good chat with Dr. Joe the other day. Thanks for the reply.

Some big sheep would be nice too!!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #31
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green

I have breeding herds of blackbuck, fallow, Nyala, blesbok, gemsbok, and impala. Feel free to shoot me a pm or text 8177891051
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top