Car Dealership Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Dealership Question

How is it legal for dealerships to advertise a certain price and then when you sit down they show you 1500-2500$ in add ons from security and thief protection places that are non negotiable and have to come with the vehicle?

So a 22,000$ vehicle quickly becomes 24,500$...? But online and over the phone that vehicle is only 22,000...

Does this happen everywhere or just the 3-4 dealerships I have been lucky to deal with?

Same happened to me at Louis Powersports in Greenville.

Not a car dealership but outdoor/recreational.

Saw a sale price on a new ATV that was a the previous years model. It was priced at one thing online. When I get there about $2,500 in crate fees and other **** was tacked on.

So yes, I would say it happens more often than people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        How is it legal for dealerships to advertise a certain price and then when you sit down they show you 1500-2500$ in add ons from security and thief protection places that are non negotiable and have to come with the vehicle?

So a 22,000$ vehicle quickly becomes 24,500$...? But online and over the phone that vehicle is only 22,000...

Does this happen everywhere or just the 3-4 dealerships I have been lucky to deal with?
        What you say? Dealers have schemes and not truth advertisements? Dare to say.

Comment

I've never had that happen. Are you talking new or used? If it did, it would be very easy to get up and move on down the road.

Comment

But car dealership experience I ever had was when I complained about an add on package and the dealer said they would remove it and I said yes please peak the window tint off the truck. The needed up not charging anything extra.

Comment

Seriously, it is probably some form of false advertising, and you may actually win a battle but lose a war.

Have you actually read the fine print on the ad...the print that is so small and fuzzy that you can’t read it? My guess is that there are regs against the practice but they figure the odds are small that anyone will pursue them in court.

One would think our FTC, or whatever state agency is comparable, would monitor this crap. It just takes someone with the time, resources, and mindset to go after them.

Who was the consumer advocate that shut down the Aggies’ dating farm?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Seriously, it is probably some form of false advertising, and you may actually win a battle but lose a war.

Have you actually read the fine print on the ad...the print that is so small and fuzzy that you can’t read it? My guess is that there are regs against the practice but they figure the odds are small that anyone will pursue them in court.

One would think our FTC, or whatever state agency is comparable, would monitor this crap. It just takes someone with the time, resources, and mindset to go after them.

Who was the consumer advocate that shut down the Aggies’ dating farm?
                Marvin was just mad his daughter was working there

Comment

Marvin Zindler, that’s right!

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    I've never had that happen. Are you talking new or used? If it did, it would be very easy to get up and move on down the road.
                    Both.

A used Jeep Wrangler ended up having another 800$ in non negotiable add ons at a used dealer place.

A used GMC Sierra had 800$ security system but in by a dodge dealer that was non negotiable

Now a new Jeep Compass is priced at 22,200 has 2,300$ in security and insurance crap thrown on.

I’m assuming companies are pairing with dealerships and selling these products or insurances to them as soon as the vehicles hit the lot for a fraction of the cost that the dealers shove to the consumer?

Comment

The dealership etched some security number or something into my windows and included a 6 or 800 dollar fee. I laughed and said I wasnt pay for it so they could either give it to me, buff it out of the windows, or I would walk away.
                      Turns out those things ARE negotiable.

Comment

You don’t have to pay for anything you don’t want to. Find another deal.

Comment

Everything is negotiable

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Everything is negotiable
                            Everything!

Comment

I ran into the same thing on a new chey 1500. It was priced on the internet at one price and when I called to see if they had the truck and price I was told a different price. The truck had a lift, big wheels, and tires. I was told by the manger after a long conversation that GM prices all of their vehicles and GM did not know about all of the extras. I told them that was BS and to go pound sand. Bought same truck from another dealership. I will never do business with the other dealership. I tried false advertisement and manger said try me. Don't have the time or money to fight it.

Comment

Working...
                              X