Help with age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with age

Here is the jaw of a buck my dad killed in Montague County. I have an idea of age based on trail cam photos, but could someone who knows how to age by the jawbone help me out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Teeth aging isn't exact. But, I would say 4.5 just based on that jawbone. I could be talked into 3.5 though, but I will go with 4.5

Comment

This is a tough one but I would agree 3.5-4.5 years old. Just hard to say for sure with this guy.

Comment

Comment

Dead and a half is my guess

Comment

4.5-5.5

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
              4.5-5.5
              Yep

Comment

5.5-6.5...pics are tough to judge sometimes but those teeth look pretty worn down to me!

Comment

I would call that textbook 4.5 yrs.

Deer have 6 back teeth per side. 3 premolars (first 3 teeth from the front) and 3 molars (last 3 teeth). The first 2 molars (teeth 4 and 5) have 2 cusps, and the last molar (tooth 6) has 3 cusps (2 big ones and 1 little).

Teeth wear from the front to the back as the deer ages.

Look straight down at teeth at the little valley's of the highest point of the cusps and you'll see a dark line. That's called dentine. The white stuff is called enamel. As the deer's teeth wear down enamel, more of the dentine becomes visible. You'll notice on tooth 4 (from the front) that the dark line (dentine) is as wide or wider than the enamel that surrounds it. This makes him at least 3.5 yrs. So then we move to the next tooth (tooth 5) and we see the dentine on both cusps is as wide or wider than the enamel that surrounds it. Now we know he's at least 4.5 yrs. So we continue to tooth 6 and we see the dentine line is not as wide as the enamel that surrounds it meaning it does not appear to make 5.5 yrs. For a second opinion, we look back at tooth 4 at height of crest and width of dentine, which also indicates 4.5 yrs.

Information about White-tailed Deer in Texas. Research and Game Management, Hunting information, publications and general resources.

Follow lonk. Click on Age Determination of Whitetail Deer

Comment

Thanks for all the imput guys! Here are a few trail camera pics of this buck. I had aged him at 4.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

Deer have 6 back teeth per side. 3 premolars (first 3 teeth from the front) and 3 molars (last 3 teeth). The first 2 molars (teeth 4 and 5) have 2 cusps, and the last molar (tooth 6) has 3 cusps (2 big ones and 1 little).

Look straight down at teeth at the little valley's of the highest point of the cusps and you'll see a dark line. That's called dentine. The white stuff is called enamel. As the deer's teeth wear down enamel, more of the dentine becomes visible. You'll notice on tooth 4 (from the front) that the dark line (dentine) is as wide or wider than the enamel that surrounds it. This makes him at least 3.5 yrs. So then we move to the next tooth (tooth 5) and we see the dentine on both cusps is as wide or wider than the enamel that surrounds it. Now we know he's at least 4.5 yrs. So we continue to tooth 6 and we see the dentine line is not as wide as the enamel that surrounds it meaning it does not appear to make 5.5 yrs. For a second opinion, we look back at tooth 4 at height of crest and width of dentine, which also indicates 4.5 yrs.

Information about White-tailed Deer in Texas. Research and Game Management, Hunting information, publications and general resources.

Thanks for the reply! That was a lot of really helpful information.

Comment

I would call him a 4.5 yr old by toothwear.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

Great information, thanks.

Comment

I would have gone with a 5 1/2 guess based mainly on the wear of that last cusp on the 6th tooth. It appears more worn than the 4 1/2 yo known age bucks I've seen. I still wouldn't make too strong an argument against 4 1/2 yo.

Comment

Buck is definitely older than 4.5 with the photos you posted. Looks 6.5 on the hoof.

Comment

Working...
                              X