X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot this spike?

Three Rivers, TX
    December 2012
    On an MLD3 ranch that doesn't shoot spikes, however after showing the owner the below photo, I was told to take him out.
    Would you shoot him on your ranch/lease?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Patton; 08-06-2015, 11:22 AM.

Nope

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

I would but after seeing what people have to say and looking at him again he does seem to be much younger than what I thought!
        Last edited by jjaimes; 08-06-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

heck ya!

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
            I would he looks pretty old I would have to guess that he's anywhere from 4 1/2-5 1/2 maybe older?? The way his neck and brisket meet along with the swayed back shows age hard to guess.
            He looks that way, but I assume he was just in bad shape due to late in the season.

Comment

I wouldn't shoot him. I'd guess him to be 2.5yo.

Comment

That's a really deep brisket and built up front end for a yearling.

Comment

He almost looks sick to me.

Comment

Comment

I agree, the picture does make him look a little older than he is, but that is all it is. There are other indicators that clearly show his immaturity. Pencil neck, almost no tarsal staining, tippy toed. He's likely not getting anywhere close to a hot doe. It's December in south Texas, he would be swole up if he was 3.5+

Comment

Not typically a spike shooter and certainly not any 1.5 year old spikes but this one might have to go. He's no yearling.

Not holding it against you for shooting him. Actually I wouldn't hold it against anyone for shooting a spike, just don't call it management....

Comment

Yep in a heart beat

Comment

I would let him walk. We don't mind letting all our bucks get to 3.5 or 4.5 before making the call to either shoot them, or let them grow as trophies to 5.5 or 6.5

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X