Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I'm New Here

Hello,

My name is Matt and I am new to the board, just wanted to place up this post and say hello. I am new to trad shooting, just a couple of months now, and put down my compound for a Bob Sarrels longbow, a Yukon Forward Riser, 62" 46# @ 28".

I live in the Southwest Austin area, near Oak Hill, and frequent an archery range off 290 West called Two-90 Pawn and Archery. David Lenz took me under his wing and has really helped me move forward with trad shooting and gaining consistency, I am by no means consistent all the time, I am still learning.

I started shooting 3 under but over the past couple of weeks have changed to shooting split finger. Shooting split seems to quiet my bow down even more than it already is and I think that Bob built an amazing bow. Since I shoot with bare fingers I had David build me a B50 string with Beaver Balls and it is less harsh than the flemish string that came on the bow.

I did have my wife video me shooting a few arrows in my back yard so I could critique my form and have other give me pointers..... don't laugh too hard. I would appreciate any and all comments, positive or negative, as I am looking to get as much feedback as possible. Here is a link.....

I am just getting started shooting a traditional longbow and filmed myself to check my form and release. I am just a beginner and in no way, shape or form c...

I wanted to also thank the board and all of the members for a great site that I feel promotes a very positive learning experience. If any of you would like to get together and shoot or just hang out and talk, get a beer or come over and put some steaks on the grill shoot me a line.

Thanks,
    Matt

Welcome to the fire!

Comment

Welcome Matt!

Comment

The link to your video does not work.

Welcome to the fire!

I am in Georgetown, north of Austin. There is a group of us that shoot a lot of the local 3D shoots. If you are ever interested, just let us know, and you would be welcome to join us!

Bisch

Comment

Welcome Matt.
          The guys at the shop you frequent are good resources. Good guys too.

Comment

Welcome aboard mate

Comment

Welcome to the fire.

Comment

Welcome to the fire

Comment

Welcome! You are fortunate to have quite a few trad veterans in your area. Do whatever you can to get together with them - IMO that helps more than anything else.

Comment

Welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      The link to your video does not work.

Welcome to the fire!

I am in Georgetown, north of Austin. There is a group of us that shoot a lot of the local 3D shoots. If you are ever interested, just let us know, and you would be welcome to join us!

Bisch
                      Yes I would like to go to a 3D shoot, thank you very much. I will have to tell you I am still learning and will not be able to school anyone. How do I find out about the next shoot?

I am working on the video.

Comment

You just missed the first shoot of the year at Austin Archery Club yesterday. AAC is the only local club that has a January shoot. They have a shoot on the 2nd Sunday of the month thru Sept. Here is a list of shoots that some or all of us usually attend:

1st Sunday of the month; Bastrop Bowhunters in Rockne, Tx. They have shoots March-Aug

2nd Sunday of the month; Austin Archery Club. Jan-Sept. Also. Cherokee Archery club, I think they are Jan-Sept. Most of the time we go to Austin, but every once in a while we go to Cherokee too.

3rd Sunday of the month. The closest is either Huaco Bowmen in Waco, or Fredericksburg Archery Club. Those are both a pretty good drive, and not many of us go there.

4th Sunday of the month; Hill Country Bowhunters in Liberty Hill. Jan-Sept. Camp Bullis in San Antoino also on 4th weekend, both Sat and Sun. Jan-Dec

Those are all club shoots that have compound as well as trad. There are also all trad shoots put on by TBoT and a few others that some or all of us go to. This is the TBoT website where you can check for a lot those shoots: http://www.tbot.org/schedule.html

There is also thread here on TBH in the trad forum that is updated pretty regularly with all trad shoots around the state, and a few national shoots that a few of us attend: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=571642

The next close shoot that we will go to will be Austin Archery Club on the 2nd Sun in Feb. There may be a few go to Camp Bullis on the 4th Sun in Jan too. If you want to go there, you have to call ahead and give them your info so they can do a background check on you. If you don't call, they will not let you on the base.

Bisch
                        Last edited by Bisch; 01-11-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Sorry, I'm no help with a trad bow. Or, for that matter, I'm not sure you'd want me helping you with a compound either.

Comment

Video seems to be working now.

I am just getting started shooting a traditional longbow and filmed myself to check my form and release. I am just a beginner and in no way, shape or form c...

Comment

Working...
                              X