Riveted Vs. Welded Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riveted Vs. Welded Boats

Looking at getting on the water soon. I have narrowed down to wanting a flat bottom aluminum boat. Would like to stay 14' or under. Which building method would y'all prefer and why?

I'd go with welded. Any riveted boat I've had eventually leaked and I wound up welding around the rivets

Comment

Welded, I cant remember ever being in a riveted boat that didnt leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
        I'd go with welded. Any riveted boat I've had eventually leaked and I wound up welding around the rivets
        X2. Welded is the only way to go. My first boat had a riveted floor and a couple rough trips later they were already popping out.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          X3

Comment

I believe some of the riveted boats are rated for a higher hp rating than welded in the same model. From my experience the welds will eventually crack and some rivets will eventually leak. I would buy what ever is cheaper.

Comment

Always have heard welded is better however I have a 14' flat bottom that is riveted and really enjoy it. We beat it up pretty good on the shallow rapids coming back upriver and it does fine.
              TBHr The Cajun has the wider 18' flat bottom with a side console steering wheel and a bimini top and is the cream of the crop IMO as far as john boats go. The extra length and width are great.

Comment

I've always heard to go welded over riveted. I think it would be a lot harder to break a weld than pop a rivet. But, I have never had either happen.

I just posted mine for sale in the classifieds if your interested. It's an all welded Southfork 15x42 with a 40hp Tohatsu. Great boat, just wanting something different.

Comment

We use a riveted flat bottom with a 10 horse 4 stroke for catfishing on the river. Sure is nice at times to be able to drag it over areas it won't float, sure would hate that with a heavier welded boat.

Comment

Mine has rivets and leaks. It is old

Comment

My alumacraft is welded. Much tougher and longer lasting with rough use compared to a riveted boat.

Comment

I have a 1970 Lonestar 14ft semi-v. It is riveted and does not leak. However, there are just as many pounds of silicone as there are aluminum! Still, it's a good ol boat

Comment

Didn't read the other posts but I'm sure they are saying the same as me...
                          Welded

The torquing of the hull either from the roll of the water or driving down the road will weaken and loosen the rivets and cause leaks

Don't have to worry with that on a welded hull

Comment

No comparison, welded all the way.

Comment

I think riveted will be cheaper, but I'm not sold yet. Just trying to see everyone's opinions.

What about width? i see a lot of narrow boats...

Comment

Working...
                              X