No announcement yet.

Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... I am going to have to get used to the new weight and config.... was bugging my middle back after about 2 miles.

But I did switch out to the 40#er and finished off 4.4 miles with the wife.

So I am at 54.7 miles for the first week. The longest was only 7 miles with the rest 4-5 milers and double header days.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

From someone who has carried a lot of heavy rucks a lot of miles over the years, be careful with that weight. Generally more than 25# is too much if you are doing it on a frequent basis. 25# engages the stability muscles in the back and hips without putting too much strain to cause repetition injuries. There is a reason 35# is the standard for Infantry times road marches. We carried way more than that for field exercises and in combat but only trained with that for weekly ruck marches. The lighter weight will give you the benefits without the chance of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        From someone who has carried a lot of heavy rucks a lot of miles over the years, be careful with that weight. Generally more than 25# is too much if you are doing it on a frequent basis. 25# engages the stability muscles in the back and hips without putting too much strain to cause repetition injuries. There is a reason 35# is the standard for Infantry times road marches. We carried way more than that for field exercises and in combat but only trained with that for weekly ruck marches. The lighter weight will give you the benefits without the chance of damage.
        I'm still trying to decide on all this rucking stuff. So, in your opinion, should I just work my way up to 35# and keep it there? Also, what shoes would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
          I'm still trying to decide on all this rucking stuff. So, in your opinion, should I just work my way up to 35# and keep it there? Also, what shoes would you recommend?
          Yes, start light and get to 35#. Start with a 20# pack. Get your body used to walking miles day after day.

As for shoes/boots I think a lot is up to personal preference. I hike in a pair of Solomon ankle height light hikers. All the guides I work with either use a light hiker or trail runners and when we are working we are carrying a lot more than 35#. Depending on the situation of course, trudging through snow and mud in Alaska I had a calf height treeking boot on. But for Texas and the South West I'm more concerned with my feet breathing than keeping stuff out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Part of being careful is acclimating. I had 100s if miles of walking miles before I started at 15 and worked my way to 40 as my staple weight. It took considerable time and miles to adapt. I actually ended up adapting pretty well to the 55, then 65# load that I used occasionally... and then more regularly. The jump to 70 is my last, as that was the goal and 40% of my body weight. I will back down on volume with that load until I slowly adapt.

My 40# pretty much feels like nothing these days.

Oh, and if you want to know why I am rucking with 70#.... well an Elk quarter weighs more than 35#... or so I am told.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              Part of being careful is acclimating. I had 100s if miles of walking miles before I started at 15 and worked my way to 40 as my staple weight. It took considerable time and miles to adapt. I actually ended up adapting pretty well to the 55, then 65# load that I used occasionally... and then more regularly. The jump to 70 is my last, as that was the goal and 40% of my body weight. I will back down on volume with that load until I slowly adapt.

My 40# pretty much feels like nothing these days.

Oh, and if you want to know why I am rucking with 70#.... well an Elk quarter weighs more than 35#... or so I am told.

No doubt, but I'm telling you that there are a lot better and safer ways to build the muscle that will help carry that 70 lbs than just putting on a 70 lbs ruck and walking. Anything over 35 is asking for trouble. Get in the gym, do squats, dead lifts, hours of stair machine all will end up in a better result.

Comment

No doubt, but I'm telling you that there are a lot better and safer ways to build the muscle that will help carry that 70 lbs than just putting on a 70 lbs ruck and walking. Anything over 35 is asking for trouble. Get in the gym, do squats, dead lifts, hours of stair machine all will end up in a better result.

I do those things as well

Comment

Thoughts on this right here? I like the price.

A standard bodyweight training exercise on military bases for years, rucking has now become a familiar event at major CrossFit competitions and a staple of strength training for leading college and pro athletic programs. In a ruck march or loaded march, athletes walk or run carrying backpacks/rucksacks; challenging major muscle groups in the legs and back and promoting greater overall endurance. In recent years, new refinements in rucksacks, ruck plates, and ruck accessories have made this type of training safer, more comfortable, and more effective. Browse the menu here to see Rogue’s current in-stock of inventory of quality rucking gear, and select any product to see full specs, user reviews, and ordering options.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't want to carry an alice pack anywhere. All your weight on your shoulders, pulling you into bad back and spine troubles. I carried one for a lot of miles because the Army said I had to, not never again with any weight in it. I know a lot of people with screwed up spines and knees from those things.

You want a modern pack with a weight distribution belt so you can carry the bulk of the weight on your hips.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                      Thoughts on this right here? I like the price.

https://www.roguefitness.com/alice-f...YaAhidEALw_wcB
                      Hey, that is pretty cool. Price isnt bad... Just don't like the price of weights

Comment

For y'all doing the Jailbreak, any suggestions on a place to stay the night before the event?

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                          For y'all doing the Jailbreak, any suggestions on a place to stay the night before the event?
                          After doing a Constellation event... I wouldn't think you would be too choosy

I am about a 50 minute drive, so I am just starting my day an hour early.

There are hotels and such in Baytown... but when I was younger... I would normally head down to Clearlake/Kemah for the hotels, restaurants, and bars/shopping and enternainment.

Comment

Even if just for a few minutes...

Comment

Almost 80 miles this year already? Man you are just crushing it!

God bless and happy hunting.
                              Richard.

Comment

Well, it ain't 80, but I'm getting there with training ruck #3 on the books.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5440.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	24526488

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5436.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	24526489

Comment

Working...