Advice on how to upgrade my Rem 700 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on how to upgrade my Rem 700 30-06

So I am not that big of a rifle guy- have several but I am working on thinning the herd a bit because I just don’t use several of them. Anyways my go to is an 8 year old Remington 700 30-06 that I shoot well. But seeing as I’m planning on keeping it long term I thought I might do a few upgrades to help dial it in even more- specifically getting prepared for an elk hunt next year. So what say those who know? What are the upgrades I should do to it? Or what are the different things I should be thinking about? Thanks guys.

Currently have a Nikon 3x9-40 on it- have a Leupold vxII 6x18-50 I was thinking about putting on it and then after doing some research realized that was not a good choice.

Trigger and bedding. Trigger for sure

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Trigger and bedding. Trigger for sure
      Agreed. Dropping in a new trigger is a piece of cake and will make a world of difference.

Comment

Jewell trigger, upgrade scope, bedding in that order

Comment

What is better? Glass or pillar bedding- and does putting a new stock have any real function or just cosmetic?

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
            What is better? Glass or pillar bedding- and does putting a new stock have any real function or just cosmetic?
            Depends on how it shoots now. Bedding could be more important if it shoots 2” at 100 or if it’s shooting clover leafs would be a waste

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
              pillars with glass bedding

stock design can aid in recoil reduction, and has everything to do with fit, feel, and function

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-12-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I have a 2006 model CDL that shoots well, but the factory trigger is HEAVY and has just a bit of creep. I'm convinced that it would be a sub-MOA gun with an upgraded trigger.

Comment

How much are you looking to spend?

The guys have covered most of the quick and cheaper ways to upgrade. It should shoot pretty dang well after having those things done!

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

The main thing to consider is what you want your end result to be. Is it accurate enough for you now? How is the trigger, most guns could use a better one. Does the stock look like you want it to? Is your scope clear enough for you?

It is easy to spend a lot of money and end up with a gun that is no better for your purposes than you already have, depending on how you answer the above questions. I have a CDL that has a timney trigger, a lower end leupold scope, and a nice factory wood stock that consistently shoots under an inch. The only thing I would consider doing to that gun is put a little clearer scope on it, if anything. But when I ask myself those questions, it is about perfect. Figure out what you really want the rifle to do, then you will know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X