Riddle me this........ truck heat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle me this........ truck heat.

I have a 1993 Chevy C1500 P/U with 350 cubic inches of American made badazz under the hood. I can't get any heat in it. I'm talkin actual heat not blend door type of heat. 2 weeks ago I changed the thermostat and coolant. It takes a 195deg thermostat but the gauge is only getting to about 150. It has been doing this on the warmer days also. It also loses coolant just a little. It will empty the plastic tank and goes down about a quart in the radiator and then stops. It doesn't go any lower. If you take the cap off, you can see the coolant just about at the top of the core. It also did this before changing the thermostat. It's done it ever since I've had it. At first I thought it might be a head gasket, but I would think it wouldn't be losing coolant to a point and stopping. What do y'all think? I need some heat! Froze my fat azz off this morning! I hope this made since.

Heater Core blocked off?

Comment

May need a new radiator cap

Comment

Originally posted by nchunter View Post
        Heater Core blocked off?
        This

Comment

Originally posted by nchunter View Post
          Heater Core blocked off?
          This is what I am thinking. In my '02 Dodge that I had it leaked coolant somewhere that I couldn't find either. Well once Summer was over and the cold set in the heat was not there. The core went out and so did the truck lol.

Comment

Or, if someone has changed the hoses or water pump, they could have gotten a hose switched. I had that on mine one time(76 model) and it wouldn't circulate through the heater core.

Comment

Heater core replaced last summer. New radiator cap the other day when doing thermostat. I'm thinking I may have got a bad thermostat. I'll change it again this weekend. I'll blow air through all the hoses to check for obstructions while I'm at it.

Comment

Is it fuel injected or carburetor?

Comment

Originally posted by berettadave View Post
                  Or, if someone has changed the hoses or water pump, they could have gotten a hose switched. I had that on mine one time(76 model) and it wouldn't circulate through the heater core.
                  This one circulates through the radiator and intake manifold. Not the water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by mc79 View Post
                    is it fuel injected or carburetor?
                    tbi

Comment

What about the fan clutch? Is it constantly engaged?

Comment

I can relate. I froze in my old Chevy for years until one day I had enough and went to change the thermostat and found it was NOT THERE. Gone! Apparently the guy who rebuilt it for my Dad forgot about this little detail... I added a fresh new thermostat and the next Day has a gloriously warm truck in a couple of minutes..

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MC79 View Post
                          What about the fan clutch? Is it constantly engaged?
                          That's on my check list also. Just thought about that this morning.

Comment

Sounds like you have more than one problem Randy. Give me a call and I will see if I can help you out. (940)465-3234

Comment

Originally posted by dropem View Post
                              Sounds like you have more than one problem Randy. Give me a call and I will see if I can help you out. (940)465-3234
                              I'll have to call later. Fixin to go the heart doc. It's going to be good to talk to ya again.

Comment

Working...
                              X