Its finally happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its finally happening

It still seems unreal. Ever since I was in Elementary school my parents have been talking about selling the "farm." This land was bought by Grandfather in '62, and I've spent my whole life fishing and bird hunting there. My fondest memories of my late Grandma were picking up 2 dozen "minners" and catching big bass all afternoon. As years passed, I eventually wrote the idea off figuring Dad would never leave that farm.

Fast forward to a few months ago, my mom informs me that they have a developer interested in the land. Yeah, yeah, no big deal. Well today his offer was officially accepted by my parents. I still cant believe that it is really happening.

Part of me is saddened by the thought of leaving that place. With a little one on the way, I was already thinking about them catching fish out of the same pond daddy fished when he was a kid. I liked having my folks close so I could be there in no time to help in emergencies. This is all said from the selfish side of me.

On the other hand, Im excited for them and their new endeavors. This will allow them to build a new house and barn, triple the amount of land they own, and allow my dad to run 100+ head of cattle, which has been a lifelong dream of his.

Now the task of moving 56 years worth of things to whichever new place awaits them. Should be a fun 30 days lol.

Well glad to see its a good out come but I can only image how much stuff has to be moved and gone threw but im sure it needed a little cleaning out! We have been making a habit to clean our farm out good once a year to get rid of stuff that we will never use.

Comment

Have they already sold it?

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        Have they already sold it?
        Today the contract was signed. They're doing a 1031 exchange, so they have to move quick on another place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Where abouts is it? For what it is worth, just because you have a signed contract, doesnt mean the developer will close, I woudlnt start spending the money just yet, atleast let them get past the feasibility period and have money hard.

Comment

Hard to pass up cash. Running 100+ cattle sounds like a ton of work but hope your dad enjoys it.

when we buy large farms from landowners, often we buy the land in phases so they can stay in their house as long as the can. it doesn't always work out where we can develop "around them" but sometimes it can.

Comment

Sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bummer, but congrats to your parents. It's obviously something they think is worth doing.

Comment

That's really sad to be selling the home place. The next place just won't be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    That's really sad to be selling the home place. The next place just won't be the same.
                    Went through the same thing a few Yrs ago. Are they the same no but you move on and start a new book with a new future. Someday when Riley's older she will be able to tell hers kids me and my dad stocked these bass, planted these trees, did this and that. Traditions are always evolving

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Went through the same thing a few Yrs ago. Are they the same no but you move on and start a new book with a new future. Someday when Riley's older she will be able to tell hers kids me and my dad stocked these bass, planted these trees, did this and that. Traditions are always evolving
                      Truth!

ETA: I didn't intend to disregard you, OP. We have a homeplace that my mom has copnsidered selling... and I can't imagine. Good to know it will allow your folks some new opportunities, though!
                      Last edited by Ouch; 04-12-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                        Where abouts is it? For what it is worth, just because you have a signed contract, doesnt mean the developer will close, I woudlnt start spending the money just yet, atleast let them get past the feasibility period and have money hard.
                        Bastrop Co. True what you said, but they also cant afford to sit around twiddling thumbs till its closed on. Once they close, they have another 30 days to get everything off. So for now they'll be looking at land/removing non essential items.

Comment

we will be in this boat soon, hope it goes as well as yalls is seeming to go

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            Bastrop Co. True what you said, but they also cant afford to sit around twiddling thumbs till its closed on. Once they close, they have another 30 days to get everything off. So for now they'll be looking at land/removing non essential items.
                            Bastrop area is exploding!!!! KONGRATS to your family as NEW traditions are in the making sir.

Comment

That is a great area. Actually had an event out there at the Lake this past weekend. Just trying to give you a heads up, I work for a developer, all developers are notorious for extending deals out. A 1031 is smart to do, but it complicates things, and will make yall thread the needle on closings.

Comment

Working...
                              X