Anyone patent an idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone patent an idea?

I have a million dollar idea that I am going to try and patent and get it going in 2018. But, going into the US patent website and getting it done is frustrating and very confusing. I am trying to get a non provisional patent first. Has anyone done this? My other option is to go on legal zoom.com and have them do it for an additional fee, which I would rather not pay extra, but I might not have a choice. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Tell us the idea and we will share some thoughts on which way to go about it!

Seriously have fun. I went with Legalzoom. Think I paid $350 or so for provisional.

PM Gunnyart. He helped me with mine.

Comment

If you are sure it is a great idea, then I'd pay to have it done right. Use your energy to focus on getting your idea built and on the market. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

If accepted as a patent. The money required to defend it will be less than desirable. You can count on someone breaking the patent.
        I've seen patents fail due to lacking a single word.
        So, serious money to the lawyer writing the text properly is money well spent.
        Also, I don't know the current wait time of the patent office, but you'll wonder why you didn't go ahead and manufacture the product without the patent. Just do a complete patent search, chances of seeing the thing already patented are pretty good.

Comment

Its actually an app. I've looked around and have not found one like my idea. It makes sense to me to patent an idea, or at least have a "patent pending" before producing a product in which anyone can copy it without any reprocussions.

Comment

U used Davison something years ago and it cost like 600.
            However I probanly will not use them again for.my new idea.
            I have read articles from people who self patent several times.
            They all mention calling the office and have someone walk you through it. They say the folks are very helpful

Comment

What is your idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

agreed

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                If you are sure it is a great idea, then I'd pay to have it done right. Use your energy to focus on getting your idea built and on the market. Just my 2 cents.
                This...

tending the fire,
                Bob G.

Comment

Last time I talked to my buddy that practices IP law he said be ready to spend around 15k.

Comment

You want to do the provisional first.

They don't cost much and it will save your place in line buying you a year to get the full patent application filed and
                    offer you protection while you develop the app and you do your market research to determine business viability.

I'd seriously consider spending the roughly $1,000-$2,000 to have a I.P attorney prepare the provisional. It doesn't have to be as fleshed out as the full patent but the better it is the better your chance to get the full patent approved and stronger language for defending it.

I don't know anything about coding or apps so I wouldn't be much more help.

good luck

Comment

I got an ip patent for about 3800

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                        I got an ip patent for about 3800
                        Where and how did you get your patent?

Comment

I got it done by a firm in Austin TX. I have 3 patents. But I agree with getting the provisional first. I had a million dollar idea too! having the idea and getting it to market are too different things! I patented software that lets you score deer from a game camera and thought everybody would like that. many do but to get it into the industry was a huge challenge. An app maybe easier. Also I had someone steal my idea and had to fight them over it. that was not too bad cause I got it done on contingency. I spent way more on advertising and promoting the products that I ever did on the patent so be sure you do market research and have the funds to push it forward. That is why I WOULD DO THE PROVISSIONAL FIRST. The patent is only a small part of the process. JM2C

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                            I got it done by a firm in Austin TX. I have 3 patents. But I agree with getting the provisional first. I had a million dollar idea too! having the idea and getting it to market are too different things! I patented software that lets you score deer from a game camera and thought everybody would like that. many do but to get it into the industry was a huge challenge. An app maybe easier. Also I had someone steal my idea and had to fight them over it. that was not too bad cause I got it done on contingency. I spent way more on advertising and promoting the products that I ever did on the patent so be sure you do market research and have the funds to push it forward. That is why I WOULD DO THE PROVISSIONAL FIRST. The patent is only a small part of the process. JM2C
                            Good tips! Thanks!

Comment

I have never been in this situation but I have 3 good friends that have been down that road. One works for a multi-billion dollar international company so his patents have his name on them but the company handles it all (Read as Intellectual Property, lol), another is a buddy in Germany and the other is a genius that trusts everyone. Make sure you do it right with an attorney but vet that fellow out as well. I would also make sure that he has no affiliation with whomever you will be using to get the product to market. My genius buddy had multiple patents previously and went the easy route and let the manufacturer set him up with their IP lawyer on his last 7 to be filed. Turns out, he filed 6 under the MFG and only 1 to his name(the least profitable). It was a mess, he then had to file on the lawyer and the day the case was to go to court, the IP lawyer died from a heart attack. He lost out on a few million and the non compete that was written in kept him out of that specific side of the business for 7 years.

Just do your homework on who you use for the paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                              X