25/45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
    The thing that I find odd about this cartridge is the specs that have been claimed. The first time I saw it, I thought "Oh... the .25TCU".

The case specs are very similar. Made from the same brass (.223), but with a different shoulder angle and slightly different overall specs. But look at the claimed velocity and muzzle energy differences between the two - and note that the nominal performance numbers are using a 75 grain bullet for the TCU, but a 87 grain bullet for the Sharps. They are showing a muzzle velocity increase of 350 fps, and over 500 ft-lbs more muzzle energy out of that little case difference.

Does the shoulder differences and bullet weight really turn this cartridge re-made from "marginal for deer-class animals, at least in the hands of the average shooter" (claim regarding the TCU), into something that is "Proven on Antelope, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Mountain Lion and Boar" (claim from same site regarding the Sharps)?

Figures are from AmmoGuide.com case diagrams.

All the best,
    Glenn
    Even though the cases are pretty much identical, I bet the TCU in only approved for pressures to 50,000 where they did the additional testing to get the 25-45 approved to 60,000.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
      Even though the cases are pretty much identical, I bet the TCU in only approved for pressures to 50,000 where they did the additional testing to get the 25-45 approved to 60,000.
      That very well may be the case. I would have thought that since the Contender was already offered in .223, that they would have pushed the wildcat .25TCU to its limits, but then again, it was designed as a silhouette target shooting round, vice a hunting round. So maybe it was "enough" for its designated purpose, but mildly under-powered when people tried hunting with it at designated specs. But then again... I'd be surprised if reloaders didn't push it further after finding it lacking. Maybe that played into how the Sharps was borne?

Something else I wasn't considering was barrel twist rates, as the .25 TCU was designed for firearms such as the T/C Contender pistols, whereas the Sharps was being used in more modern firearms such as the AR variants.

They did something similar with the 7TCU many years ago; redesigned slightly due to the standard 7TCU length being too long for AR mags. I've also read on variations of the other TCU cartridges.

All the best,
      Glenn

Comment

Got to check velocity on my loads today. Pleasantly surprised with average 2819fps out of 16" barrel for 1589fpe with Sierra GameKing 90 gr HP and X-Terminator powder. Didn't expect more than 2700 or so.

Comment

I love mine so much I now have a 16 18 and 24” on order. 87sp according to my buddy makes 308 holes. Easy to make. More impressed every trigger pull. Never been a 223 fan now I’m very interested because I can make something useful. 223’s getting buried in the far back cob webs of the safe.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
            Got to check velocity on my loads today. Pleasantly surprised with average 2819fps out of 16" barrel for 1589fpe with Sierra GameKing 90 gr HP and X-Terminator powder. Didn't expect more than 2700 or so.
            Good info. Thanks for posting up your results. Very similar to the average from Ammoguide, with a slightly heavier projectile. Were you able to shoot some groups to check accuracy, or were you just checking velocity? If groups, how did it do?
            All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
              I love mine so much I now have a 16 18 and 24” on order. 87sp according to my buddy makes 308 holes. Easy to make. More impressed every trigger pull. Never been a 223 fan now I’m very interested because I can make something useful. 223’s getting buried in the far back cob webs of the safe.
              That's one thing I've actually enjoyed about .223 - the number of other cartridges you can make from it.

It's funny to me that I own an AR in .223 Wylde, but I probably shoot more wildcats made from .223 brass than I do actually shooting the AR.
              All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                Good info. Thanks for posting up your results. Very similar to the average from Ammoguide, with a slightly heavier projectile. Were you able to shoot some groups to check accuracy, or were you just checking velocity? If groups, how did it do?
                All the best,
                Glenn
                Shot about 1 1/2" ten shot group while shooting through the chronograph.

Comment

What twist rate are y'all running on these? I've never loaded for a 25 cal round. Looking at the crazy sale posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                    What twist rate are y'all running on these? I've never loaded for a 25 cal round. Looking at the crazy sale posted above.

10 is plenty for anything out of the 25-45.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

And by the way,

Dam you all for discussing this. I just picked up a barrel for a new upper build cause I have been wanting one of these since I watched a video on it.

Comment

For those that are shooting this caliber, what size groups are you getting out of it?

Hand loads or factory?

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          And by the way,

Dam you all for discussing this. I just picked up a barrel for a new upper build cause I have been wanting one of these since I watched a video on it.

Ha no kidding! I'm about to buy a barrel for another build. Cause that's just what I need, another project.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                            Ha no kidding! I'm about to buy a barrel for another build. Cause that's just what I need, another project.

Haven’t built one in a couple years so I’ll tell myself it’s time. Haha

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                              For those that are shooting this caliber, what size groups are you getting out of it?

Hand loads or factory?

And for those hand loading, which dies are you using and how do you like them? All I'm seeing online is Lee for about $35 or RCBS on the Sharps site for $90. Anybody have input on either for this cartridge?

Comment

Working...
                              X