Detecting a Water Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in for the results.

I had a similar issue on my office water meter. We use very little water, but my water bill went up exponentially without us noticing it for several years since we have a service that pays the utility bills. When I got to reviewing my expenses, I noticed something was not right. Turns out the water department was reading the wrong meter!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      I'm in for the results.

I had a similar issue on my office water meter. We use very little water, but my water bill went up exponentially without us noticing it for several years since we have a service that pays the utility bills. When I got to reviewing my expenses, I noticed something was not right. Turns out the water department was reading the wrong meter!
      No way the local government would make a mistake like that!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
        Man you should have a sink hole somewhere close by now.... or at least a very green spot.
        You would think. Haven't found a spot yet where it might look like 15,000 gallons of water has been dumping!!!

I'm in for the results.

Don't think that is my case. Meter reading on last bill was to close to what mine was compared to the other 2 meters that are right there. I hope I can solve this mystery very soon.

Comment

I'm in for the results.

Had this happen too. Not uncommon. Less common now that they have electronic radio readers.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            I would if I knew somebody who has one. Right now, I'll try anything to keep from doing A LOT of digging. Guess I will look for some copper wire at work too!!!
            I got lucky on this first dig up. I missed the line about 6 inches. The next place I want to try, really don't remember exactly where the line is, so I could get 2 ft off one side or another.
            2ft! Shazaam! Was the ditch digger drunk?

Did you isolate the leak to the front half (meter side) or the back half (house side)? I think I missed that.

I bought a Seek Thermal camera that hooks into an iPhone for this exact situation...and a/c leaks...and poachers...and hogs...and varmints...and whatnot. See if anybody has one locally. Im out of town but will be back in next week...Ill see if I cant shake free and come help. I see youre in Franklin...Im west by about 1 1/2 hrs...west of Granger. PM me when youll be free after Tuesday.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-28-2017, 08:42 PM. Reason: HalfShazaamSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              2ft! Shazaam! Was the ditch digger drunk?
              No, but the guy who laid the phone line in was. Yall have to understand, I put this line in back in 99, so I really don't remember exactly where she's laid. When I had the phone line marked, it went from the box, down to the road, back to the fence, back to the road, etc.... all the way down. So I kept my water line pretty close to the edge of the road because of that. Once the phone line got pretty close to my property line, it straighten up some and I gradually moved my line closer to the fence than the road. So when I go dig the next spot up, I could get off by 2ft. on either side, so the next spot could require a little more digging before I locate it is all!!!
              This is starting to be a PITA!!!

Comment

Have you noticed a pressure drop in the house when the meter is spinning?

Is the water heater relief valve piped into a drain line, causing your leak to go down the septic/sewer?

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                  Have you noticed a pressure drop in the house when the meter is spinning?

Is the water heater relief valve piped into a drain line, causing your leak to go down the septic/sewer?
                  No drop in pressure.
                  I have already stated, I have cut the water off from the house. I have a shut off valve just outside of the house in case I ever needed to fix a leak in the house, that I wouldn't have to go all the way to the meter to do it. So, even with the water cut off to the house, the meter still rolls.

Comment

Oops. I guess I missed the part where the meter still spins when the valve at the house was closed.

I've installed and worked on irrigation systems off and on for 20 years. I've seen lots of leaks, usually at connections and a lot at compression fittings.
                    Not saying that it couldn't happen, but I've never seen an intermittent leak on a main line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                      Not saying that it couldn't happen, but I've never seen an intermittent leak on a main line.
                      This is what is so confusing. Can't find one spot of ground where it looks/feel saturated with water, meter continues to roll for hours and not move at all for hours. Just don't get it!!

Comment

Did someone ask if the guys sprinkler system is going when the meter spins?

Comment

I know nothing about water meters, but is it possible the meter is wack? Anyway it could just be telling lies?
                          Get a witcher out there

Comment

Have you talked with your neighbor about this ?

Comment

Once again putting my money on neighbor tapping into your line. Especially if the meter will run for hours, then shut off for hours with the house shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                                Did someone ask if the guys sprinkler system is going when the meter spins?
                                From my back fence, I could see a cattle pen. So I walked to it and found 2 water troughs, but none were automatic. Just had a water hose leading back towards his house. Not going to go snoop around his house. Felt bad enough about walking to that cattle pen, but just had to know!!!

Originally posted by RDT View Post
                                Have you talked with your neighbor about this ?
                                No. Haven't seen him since this all started. Although there is a 3 bedroom house, he hasn't moved in yet. Last I was told, when their kids finish school, they were going to move in. He comes out there on some weekends but haven't seen him in the past few weekends, mainly I'm either working or I'm gone somewhere.
                                Also have 2 other neighbors that have the same deal. Except their lines are on the other side of the road. Don't have his number where I can call him either. I wonder if his bill went up as well??

Comment

Working...
                                X