Feather chopper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feather chopper?

I just got me a nanner cut chopper. That thing is a pain to use. I have to beat the heck out of it to cut.Should I have to do that or do I need a new blade for it? This is the first time for me to use one so any tip will help.

I have one, but haven't used it a long time. As I remember, one good smack with a mallet did the trick. I don't remember it being to difficult.

Comment

I will try a hammer next time . I have just been pushing down on it with the palm of my hand.

Comment

Strummer, use a rubber mallot. Make sure you're on a solid foundation even if it means getting down on your knees. Once you've got everything in position, one good smack with the mallot should do it. I'm basing this on my shield cut though; works great for me.

Comment

rubber or wood mallet like the guys said will make your life much more enjoyable.

Comment

So what do you folks consider the better...a feather burner or a feather chopper?

Comment

Prefers Chopper

Reg'lar hammer can damage your chopper.

Alan, from what I've seen, I prefer the chopper. First off I don't like the smell of burnt feathers. Secondly, I don't want to take the chance of burning my shaft (it could happen ).

I like the chopper I've got. I do need to either sharpen or replace the blade though.

Comment

The problem that most people have with the little chopper is that they try to cut the quil along with the rest of the feather. if you will precut the quil to length before using the little chopper then it will work like a champ!

IF you will fist cut the front tip of the feather at an angle so the tip has a fine slinder point, then lay the feather in the chopper and with a pair of siccors cut the back end of the quil to length. This will allow the feather to lay in the chopper and the blade will only be cutting the feather, not the quil. This will make for a more exact cut with the little chopper.

I've cut hundreds of feathers with the little chopper. With the above mentioned method, you should have a perfectly cut feather fly out of the chopper, ready to be glued on your arrow!

Comment

I have both. I do the same as Flintnapper, bought mine new and have never had a problem.. I don't like to use the burner. I hate that smell.

Comment

Nothing like the smell of burning feathers in the morning.

Comment

FlintKnapper is dead on
                      I cut my quills with an exacto knife before I chop the feather
                      and I use a rubber mallet
                      works GREAT

Comment

I use a leather tooling hammer I bought from Tandy Leather and it works great, too. I don't cut the feathers before chopping and don't seem to have any problems with the chopper cutting the quill.

Comment

Working...
                        X