Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best dog for blood tracking deer and hogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best dog for blood tracking deer and hogs.

I'm going to be getting another dog soon to blood track wounded deer and hogs. I want to have it trained and ready for next deer season. I had a Jagdterrier that was awesome! She could track and was fearless. I just think if she ever found a deer that was still alive then size could be a disadvantage. I've seen my Jagd bay a 180 pound boar though. I'm not sure if size really matters with a Jagd. I've also tracked with a 120 lb timberwolf hybrid. He was great at finding the animals and would finish them off if they were still alive by breaking their necks! He was a little greedy after he found it and didn't really like to share.

I've been looking into breeds again and really don't know what I'm going to go with. It won't be another wolf that's for sure. I'm definitely not ruling out getting another Jagd. I'm interested in the Blue Lacy, Black Mouth Cur, Bloodhound, Catahoula and a couple others. I know some folks like the Dachshund, and Jack Russel Terrier. I think those smaller breeds won't be as good as a Jagd on a wounded hog still wanting to fight. Any suggestions about breeds, breeders, or any input would be appreciated.

I've got a beagle with a gps collar that keeps showing up on my game cam, free if you want him.

Comment

Bloodhound. ....duh

Comment

Jagd- Ive never been around a dog with more grit. They are determined trackers and mine worked tracks after other tracking dogs had been on it the night before with success. Bloodhounds will be a better cold nosed dog as their nose cone is elongated more. Not agile enough for me at the end of a track. Im sure you will get lots of answers but you had about the best there is if you also want a dog at the end that will show some grit.

Comment

Timberwolf hybrid? Never heard of that but if it has the nose of a wolf then you can't beat that at finding wounded game...

Where did you get that dog?

Comment

In

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a catahoula for 10 years and he was a great blood tracking dog. He even found a few wounded deer that honestly were not mortally wounded but kept them at bay (or even physically pinned down ) until help arrived to dispatch the animal. He was a handful but extremely smart, trainable, loyal, and honestly even did well with small children. Catahoulas are also big and ornery enough to handle any pigs or coyotes etc. they could run into here in Texas.

Comment

Get a.blackmouth cur out of working stock.

Comment

I was going to say Jagd....

Comment

Lacy

Comment

Poodle.

Comment

I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on this one!
                        But here's mine...I absolutely love my catahoula. She has a ton of drive and is great on a blood trail. Great nose and big enough to take down or bay a wounded deer. I don't let her run hogs but she would sure like to one of the most important things is that they come from working stock no matter what the breed is.

Comment

I'd just pick a dog that I liked, most all have the capability (of course this doesn't include purse poodles, never tried any of the barking cat breeds) but I've seen most everything else used. Myself I'm a short legged dog guy me gettin a little long of tooth and all.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                            Timberwolf hybrid? Never heard of that but if it has the nose of a wolf then you can't beat that at finding wounded game...

Where did you get that dog?

Comment

i've heard jack russels do a really good job

Comment

Working...
                              X