Feed Deer, Not Elk - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Deer, Not Elk - Help

So I have the opportunity to hunt a parcel (350 acres+\-) that is high fenced but that has about 20 elk on it in addition to the native white tail. I am trying to find a way to ensure that the white tail have enough to eat, so I wanted to supplement their diet with some corn and maybe protein. The problem is that the elk eat a lot of the acorns and run the deer off the corn feeders already out there. I cant’t reduce the elk population significantly (owner likes the herd number right now), so I am trying to find a way to make the feeders elk proof while still allowing deer to access them. One idea that came to mind was making a pen around the feeder with a gap about 1.5ft tall between the ground and the bottom of the hog panel so that maybe the deer can sneak under but not the elk. This is a weird problem, but I thought someone might have a good idea or experience with the same issue.

I am also looking at supplementing with a couple food plots, so if anyone has a good tip for hill country food plots I would be happy to hear them. Mostly just the rocky soil that has me worried.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Good luck on that project
    Whatever you build better be heavy duty elk will tear it up

Comment

What a problem to have!!!!!I'm jealous....
      Bull panels with plenty posts..and only entrance big enough for DEER

Comment

After seeing plenty of elk jump and destroy a high fence to get into an alfalfa field.....I'm going to say you won't prevent an elk from getting in to anything it wants to get in to.

The only thing I can think of is making a very tall/reinforced pen with a narrow chute that only a whitetail can squeeze by. But then the deer might shy away from that type of setup.

Comment

I had to protect my feeders from cows on a lease I had near Ballinger for 18 years. I tried barbed wire and they just pushed it over. I couldn’t take the chance on them getting cut up or tangled up in it so I built pens out of cattle panels, sucker rods and two inch pipe corners. I made them portable so I could move them and did several times alone. There was a 16” to 18” space underneath so deer could access the feeders. It worked ! Even bucks would weave their racks underneath. I would think you’d have to add another two feet to the top to defeat an elk though. Just my experience, don’t know if it will help you.

Comment

If you make it tall enough to keep an elk out with an entrance narrow enough for only a whitetail to get through, where the heck are you supposed to shoot?

Comment

I think the best option would be to just increase the number of feed stations. If the elk stay together mostly, give the whitetail some other places to go when the elk show up.

Comment

Imo-trying to keep the elk out but allowing the deer access will be an exercise in frustration. EXTREME frustration at that. Additionally I would fear possibly endangering the elk and or deer with any decide designed to exclude the elk.

If it were me I'd spread the animals out. Two ways to do this, add more feeders and food plots. Food plots are the best way to spread them out. They can be more work but IMO, it's great for the animals health wise and will allow them to all browse in peace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Food plots and additional bait locations as suggested above. Also, maybe have multiple different types of feed at single locations like corn, cotton seed, alfalfa, sweet feed etc. The elk are bound to gravitate to one type over another leaving the native deer to use the other types.

I'd try alot of different feeding strategies before I tried to invent feed pens that were elk proof and let whitetails out.

As far as food plots, I'd try growing oats first. I hunted a couple of places near junction that had oat fields when I was growing up.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I think that adding feeding stations and supplementing with food plots is my first plan. I think I may end up spending a bunch of money trying to build pens, and I really just need to ensure there is enough food to keep the whitetails healthy. I will report back with how it goes. Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X