String Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Tracker

Well I have a 20+ year old string tracker, yesterday I decided to give it a try, and it did not work out so well. At 15 yards my arrow hit 4 inches low, so I tried it one more time and had the same results. OK, I might could live with that but the noise was unreal. The string whistled through the air, my son said "that sounds crazy".

I know a few of you use the trackers... Does your string whistle? Also does your point of impact change? I will add that the string looks like a coil spring after being shot.

I like the idea of using the string tracker, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I would be grateful.

Thanks,
    Ben

It needs new string. The old string has taken a set. Probably brittle too.

Talk to Draco or Bisch to see what type to use. I am sure there are better lines to use now days, but I don't know since I haven't used a tracker in a loooong time.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick,

I guess I should have said the string coils up when there is no tension on it. I was wondering the same thing about new string but the string looks new, seems to me that any string will take a set to a certain extent??? IDK

Ben

Comment

Rick is right the string has built up memory and the only way I know to get rid of it is to hook it to a bass bait and pull it fully stretched out beind your boat for a bit

Comment

Don't know about whistling, but if does add some noise to the shot that some folks just don't like! For me, the tracker does not alter my POI, but I won't shoot it much past 15yds because I just don't trust it. My mind tells me that at some point, it has to affect POI.

I use mine nearly all the time these days, and even shoot thru the netting in the ground blinds with it!

Bisch

Comment

It does make some noise as the string comes off the spool. Scared the heck out of me the first couple of shots I took! I use mine mainly for Pigs, since Bisch turned me on to them. Won't use one on a deer, those suckers can duck a string without any additional help.

LD

Comment

Shot one thru a double bull mesh supposedly shoot thru window one time. BIG mistake. Took me 15 minutes to get unraveled from the 50 yards or more of bright orange dental floss that wadded up all inside the blind and danged near hung me. Sounded like a 22mag went off in there when the string broke and sent the arrow into the ground about 10 feet in front of the blind.
              String tracker sure seemed like a good idea and might be OK from an open tripod.

Comment

I've shot a dozen critters thru the mesh in the last two years using a string tracker!

Bisch

Comment

You may have tied the string from the outside of the spool instead of the inside. I've used one for close to 40 years now and have never had a shot ruined by one.

I've shot them a lot at different yardages to see what my range is with them. I'm good to 25 yards and shot a doe at 28 yards with them, no problem. I am shooting a few more pounds than most and that could have some thing to do with the extended range.

I think the noise you hear when you shoot souds louder because it's close to you. You want to make sure you always use the white string, not the orange as it is very sticky coming out. Also make sure you get the 2500' roll and not the 1500' roll. The 1500' roll is 30# test and just doesn't shoot as well as the 2500'/17# test. With the 2500' roll, it just doesn't seem to matter to the deer that I shoot at. I use one almost every time I hunt and I have a real good deer dog.
                  Last edited by Draco; 10-06-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I know this has been discussed but could someone post a link of where you guys buy the spools and tracker?

Clay

Comment

^^^x2

Comment

I used mine on a 70lb compound bow. Never tried it on a 50#trad bow. Maybe that's the problem?
                        When I had my failure the string wadded up against the inside of the netting and then ripped a grapefruit sized hole in it when the wad of string came on thru. Maybe a fluke. I now have a 2500 ft roll of good dental floss. It also makes good string tied nocks so all is not lost.

Comment

Originally posted by CEpperson View Post
                          I know this has been discussed but could someone post a link of where you guys buy the spools and tracker?

Clay
                          Clay I bought mine at Highlands Archery Shop... Bad news is they have been closed for well over 20 years. Sorry, that's all I have got.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                            Clay I bought mine at Highlands Archery Shop... Bad news is they have been closed for well over 20 years. Sorry, that's all I have got.
                            This is what I love about you brother Ben you are always willing to help...well at least try to help LOL!!! Call me sometime and let me know how life is treating you.

Clay

Comment

^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X