No announcement yet.

Wagyu NY Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hungry now. Great looking steak. I've always cooked steak over fire but I'm going to have to try that. I marinate mine the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
      I'm hungry now. Great looking steak. I've always cooked steak over fire but I'm going to have to try that. I marinate mine the same way.

It puts a good crust on it, of course make sure the steak is room temp. And the butter in the pan drizzled over the top of steak, good stuff. May have to defrost another pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where did you get the meat? I have read about Wagyu and Kobe beef but never seen it in a store.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
          Where did you get the meat? I have read about Wagyu and Kobe beef but never seen it in a store.
          Go to a local butcher, and ask them for it. They can get ahold of most beef. Stanton's in Alvin can get it. A butcher that also does meat processing is your best bet.

Comment

That looks good! HEB has prime strips on sale, I’ll give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
              Go to a local butcher, and ask them for it. They can get ahold of most beef. Stanton's in Alvin can get it. A butcher that also does meat processing is your best bet.
              Just don't bother asking for Kobe beef. You cannot, I repeat, cannot get Kobe beef from a butcher, and if he says he can, he's lying.

Also if the Wagyu they're offering isn't significantly more expensive than prime grade beef, it's domestic. Domestic Wagyu is typically bred with US cattle, like angus. Still good meat, but the advertising is a little misleading. Just as an example, Imported Wagyu at Costco is about $100 a pound.
              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 02-17-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Dang that looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                  Just don't bother asking for Kobe beef. You cannot, I repeat, cannot get Kobe beef from a butcher, and if he says he can, he's lying.

Also if the Wagyu they're offering isn't significantly more expensive than prime grade beef, it's domestic. Domestic Wagyu is typically bred with US cattle, like angus. Still good meat, but the advertising is a little misleading. Just as an example, Imported Wagyu at Costco is about $100 a pound.
                  Why can’t you get Kobe?

Comment

Wagyu can be any of the japanese beef breeds. In the USA you mostly see Akaushi brown/red. Kobe is the black breed. most in the USA come from heartbrand. pretty sure they took angus and crossed with Akaushi.

Comment

I think I read at one time that Gary Yamamoto (the Guy who invented the senko) had a large herd of Wagyu beef cattle here in East Texas. I do understand that is not Kobe but I wonder if it is significantly better than a prom cut of beef?

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                        I think I read at one time that Gary Yamamoto (the Guy who invented the senko) had a large herd of Wagyu beef cattle here in East Texas. I do understand that is not Kobe but I wonder if it is significantly better than a prom cut of beef?
                        Kobe is Wagyu. its the black hided breed. Akaushi is wagyu, its the red/brown hided breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                          Why can’t you get Kobe?
                          I have read that the U.S. gets only about 4% of the real Kobe that is exported from Japan. Most of it is consumed there. I think B&B Butchers has it on their menu for around $200 for 4 ounces.

Comment

From B&B Butchers,
                            B&B Butchers & Restaurant is proud to be one of nine U.S. members of the Kobe Beef Association in Japan, allowing us to offer authentic, certified A5 Kobe Beef. To provide perspective, only 400 pounds of this highly sought-after meat, widely considered the best beef in the world, is shipped to the U.S. each month to licensed members of this exclusive group.

Sourced from the quiet, isolated Japanese valleys of Hyogo Prefecture near the port town of Kobe City, these tajima-gyu cattle have grazed for generations completely untouched by the outside world. The story of the cattle’s pure bloodlines, intense beef certification system and strict classification standards (only 3,900 head of cattle qualify each year) unfolds in the luscious, evenly dispersed shimofuri marbling characteristics. The decadent, speckled marbling, unique to these cattle, lends the exquisitely rich flavor, tenderness and juiciness associated with the melt-in-your-mouth delicacy that is authentic Kobe Beef.

Comment

And to the OP, that steak looks great and it probably tasted great too. No matter how you prepared it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                                From B&B Butchers,
                                B&B Butchers & Restaurant is proud to be one of nine U.S. members of the Kobe Beef Association in Japan, allowing us to offer authentic, certified A5 Kobe Beef. To provide perspective, only 400 pounds of this highly sought-after meat, widely considered the best beef in the world, is shipped to the U.S. each month to licensed members of this exclusive group.

Sourced from the quiet, isolated Japanese valleys of Hyogo Prefecture near the port town of Kobe City, these tajima-gyu cattle have grazed for generations completely untouched by the outside world. The story of the cattle’s pure bloodlines, intense beef certification system and strict classification standards (only 3,900 head of cattle qualify each year) unfolds in the luscious, evenly dispersed shimofuri marbling characteristics. The decadent, speckled marbling, unique to these cattle, lends the exquisitely rich flavor, tenderness and juiciness associated with the melt-in-your-mouth delicacy that is authentic Kobe Beef.
                                That’s insane about Kobe beef. I love steak but, I don’t think I love it that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X