260 AI vs 6.5 Creedmoore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

260 AI vs 6.5 Creedmoore

Not trying to stir the pot, but I'm sure it's going to happen. I have a curiosity about the differences in the two. How do they compare in velocity? Barrel life? Any advantage in one over the other? Also could you shoot regular 260 rem in the AI if you were in a pinch?

You get about 200 fps.
    You lose shoulder angle, barrel life, recoil, and any chance of finding factory ammo.

A better option if what you are looking for is a "creedmoor + 200 fps" would be a 6.5x284. You give up short action, but your barrels will be longer lasting, they will feed better, and you'll find a lot more literature, especially among the match guys.

Taking a step back, if your problem is "my creedmoor doesn't shoot fast enough" consider the 264 win mag or upcoming 6.5 PRS.

Comment

In for Roberts response as I know he has experience with both at long range matches.

Comment

What is your intended purpose? For the average to even above average hunter there's very little performance difference in the two. Barrel wear will be negligible in either.

I have a 22-250AI that shoots extremely well in fire forming. I've heard others say the same.

You have a down side of fire forming brass in the AI. They're both made by Lapua so that's no an issue. As of now, the CM is the hot ticket so theirs lots of ammo. If the luster wears off or something else becomes the flavor of the month you could have ammo supply issues like that of the 260. But, if you're considering an AI, it's assumed that you're going to reload so no issue their as well.

I've always said I'd build an AI but I just picked up a 5.6x284 so who knows.

In for Roberts response as well. I know he fought the CM craze for some time.

Comment

I am am avid 260 fan (rem or AI) and am fighting the CM craze tooth and nail. Barrel life in negligible as stated above. If you reload I say go with the 260 AI!

There are other options if you just want speed but you can miss at 3000 fps just as easily as you can at 2800. Just my 0.02 and because this pic says it all.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            You get about 200 fps.
            You lose shoulder angle, barrel life, recoil, and any chance of finding factory ammo.

A better option if what you are looking for is a "creedmoor + 200 fps" would be a 6.5x284. You give up short action, but your barrels will be longer lasting, they will feed better, and you'll find a lot more literature, especially among the match guys.

Taking a step back, if your problem is "my creedmoor doesn't shoot fast enough" consider the 264 win mag or upcoming 6.5 PRS.
            I have been known to live under a rock but this is the first time I've heard of a 6.5-284 having a longer barrel life than a 260 AI.... Did I read that right?

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
              I have been known to live under a rock but this is the first time I've heard of a 6.5-284 having a longer barrel life than a 260 AI.... Did I read that right?

6.5-284 will shoot out a barrel much quicker than a 260AI.

Shoulder angle also get much steeper with the AI not less.

You will probably gain 150’ish fps over the Creedmoor and es you can shoot regular 260 in a pinch. My 22-250 AI shoots regular 22-250 to the same POI out to around 250 yards, then the extra speed takes over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

260 AI vs 6.5 Creedmoore

If you're looking for speed in a short action just build a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 PRC. I'm going to do a SAUM because I'd rather get factory ammo from Copper Creek than Hornady and I will mainly reload anyway. It's a little faster than the PRC. Also, there's been some issues related to the use of different reamer specs for the PRC. The 6.5SAUM has the wrinkles ironed out.

Google "6.5prc seating depth considerations" and it's on Snipers Hide. I can't make the link work for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Horitexan; 11-10-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I've been shooting my 260 AI for about the last 3 yrs and can give a little insight.

1) You can shoot regular 260 ammo if needed, while fire forming most groups are around .75". You MUST shoot regular 260 ammo in your rifle to obtain brass.

2) With my 24" barrel I'm getting between 2900-2950 with 140-143gr bullets vs 2800-2850 (from what I've seen)on the 6.5 CM.

3) When I chose the 260 AI, the 6.5 CM didn't have lapua brass but now they've both got brass support. Downside to fire forming for the 260 AI is time. If you don't have time to head to the range JUST to form brass to your chamber you should avoid the round. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about trimming brass like you would with the 6.5 CM or regular 260. From my reading, AI chambers are supposed to have longer barrel life, time will only tell if that's true. I'd expect 1200-1500 rnds from either of the rounds. Not sure how much you shoot, but thats quite a few rounds.

4) One thing I've been thinking of doing is switching over to an extended box mag, several of my loads are longer than the current magazine allows.

5) Many will say the minimal gain isn't worth it, but I disagree. I like that it's different than the current fad and it's forced me to fine tune my reloading ability.

6) I've been looking really hard at the 6.5 SAUM, it's shooting 140gr bullets around 3050-3080 fps. The difference in speed between the SAUM and 260 AI is about the same as the difference between the 6.5 CM and 260 AI, so for those that say the difference is minimal may as well throw out the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    You get about 200 fps.

The 6.5-284 is a short action. Most run it on a long action to run longer bullets without killing capacity.

6.5-284 does not have a good barrel life. 900-1200 rounds max unless you load it real light. It'll still shoot decent after that but not the best it can. Heavy fire cracking in the throat. A bore rider really helps offset that in this round and you'll gain at least 200 more rounds of good barrel life and a good velocity gain.

6.5 creedmoor is an entry long range round. Good for folks who don't reload and want to play with longer range stuff. It's slow.

260 AI is what the CM wants to be. Faster. Good barrel life. But the brass prep sucks with fire forming. You can use hydraulic dies to save barrel life or just have a cheap barrel done up with the same specs and use it strictly for fire forming.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                      I've been shooting my 260 AI for about the last 3 yrs and can give a little insight.

1) You can shoot regular 260 ammo if needed, while fire forming most groups are around .75". You MUST shoot regular 260 ammo in your rifle to obtain brass.

2) With my 24" barrel I'm getting between 2900-2950 with 140-143gr bullets vs 2800-2850 (from what I've seen)on the 6.5 CM.

3) When I chose the 260 AI, the 6.5 CM didn't have lapua brass but now they've both got brass support. Downside to fire forming for the 260 AI is time. If you don't have time to head to the range JUST to form brass to your chamber you should avoid the round. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about trimming brass like you would with the 6.5 CM or regular 260. From my reading, AI chambers are supposed to have longer barrel life, time will only tell if that's true. I'd expect 1200-1500 rnds from either of the rounds. Not sure how much you shoot, but thats quite a few rounds.

4) One thing I've been thinking of doing is switching over to an extended box mag, several of my loads are longer than the current magazine allows.

5) Many will say the minimal gain isn't worth it, but I disagree. I like that it's different than the current fad and it's forced me to fine tune my reloading ability.

6) I've been looking really hard at the 6.5 SAUM, it's shooting 140gr bullets around 3050-3080 fps. The difference in speed between the SAUM and 260 AI is about the same as the difference between the 6.5 CM and 260 AI, so for those that say the difference is minimal may as well throw out the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM as well.
                      You should easily get over 3100fps with the saum. Just FYI. It's the one I would choose. I didn't do it on my last one due to component availability. But that's not an issue now. I've got several good friends that run them with great success from hunting to matches. It's a hammer of a round.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        You should easily get over 3100fps with the saum. Just FYI. It's the one I would choose. I didn't do it on my last one due to component availability. But that's not an issue now. I've got several good friends that run them with great success from hunting to matches. It's a hammer of a round.
                        I would think so as well, considering it's got over 10grs more capacity than my 260 AI. George Gardner lists max velocity at 3080 and just about everyone I see posting runs in to pressure signs right at 3080 or a little before. I guess i won't really know until I try. I have a feeling RL26 may pick up a little speed over H1000 everyone seems to be using.

Comment

I would think so as well, considering it's got over 10grs more capacity than my 260 AI. George Gardner lists max velocity at 3080 and just about everyone I see posting runs in to pressure signs right at 3080 or a little before. I guess i won't really know until I try. I have a feeling RL26 may pick up a little speed over H1000 everyone seems to be using.
                          I'll get you load data when you need it from guys who have ran it a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            I'll get you load data when you need it from guys who have ran it a ton.
                            Thanks. I've been running quick load on a few powders and they all max out pressure just below 3100 fps. Any idea if they're running the Hornady brass or necking down 7 Saum?

Comment

Thanks. I've been running quick load on a few powders and they all max out pressure just below 3100 fps. Any idea if they're running the Hornady brass or necking down 7 Saum?
                              Hornady once George got his crap together and quit lying about the quality lol

Comment

Working...
                              X