Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque

How important is torquing down the scope to the required ft lbs or whatever? Do y’all do this or just really snug em up and call it done? I have always had a Smith install the rings and scope but wanted to do it myself this time. I will use loctite on the screws unless y’all tell me otherwise. As always, thanks for any and all help.

I snug them up

Comment

I always torque to the recommended settings of the maufacture and most manufactures don't reccomend loctite. Unless it comes with it from the factory I wouldn't add it. That being said if you use it use the crap that you can break lose and it won't hurt anything.

SO for me loctite is optional. Torque specs are not.

Comment

Call the manufacturers. My experience has been anywhere from 20 to 25.
        I use 25 on heavy recoil rifles and 22 for almost all others.

Comment

Wheeler Torque wrench's are fairly cheap, and I like to make sure they are to specs.

Comment

I use a torque wrench and do whats required. I also dont use loctite but this instead.

Comment

I do not use locktite on ring screws but do clean them with rubbing alcohol. After that the torque specs are followed to the letter for me. If you are using a picatinny rail make sure the bottom halves are pushed up against the cross-bar (push the ring half towards the muzzle) before torquing them in place.

Comment

I use a torque wrench and follow torque specs.

Comment

I have never used a torque wrench and never have had any problems. With that being said, probably better to use one.

Comment

I torque to spec with a torque wrench but there has been a time or 2 on light weight larger calibers where the scope has slid in the rings due to the heavy recoil so I re-torqued up a few psi.

Comment

Very importand if shooting anything over 500 yds. Blue loctite is the best. Most bases are in the 20-25 inch and ring sets are around 50 inch with scope rings around 18-20. If the base is screwed down on the front check to see if any noise is made when you touch the back, if so will need to bed the rail. YouTube real easy.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        I use a torque wrench and follow torque specs.

ditto

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will be torquing to be sure I am in specs.

Comment

I always loctite the base screws. Never the ring screws. Bases have direct metal to metal contact with the action and can loosen over time. It's not a bad idea to bed the base to the action. Ring screws are under constant tension if installed correctly. They shouldn't bottom out if installed evenly.

Comment

dont use loctite torque to manu spec

Comment

Working...
                              X