Poacher reprogramming a pig trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poacher reprogramming a pig trap?

Back in August my buddy bought a hunting property and among the stuff that came with the purchase was a remote control pig trap - the kind that sends you pics and you can trigger it with a phone call. (corral type - about 15 yards across) He had been getting quite a few pics of both pigs and deer in the trap then a month ago he stopped getting pictures but just figured the battery had died. He went out to try and fix it and found it contained a SIM card different than the one he had installed. Am I right to assume if a poacher put his own SIM card in it, he would then be getting the pics and have the ability to trigger the trap? Doesn't make much sense - it seems the card would have a number that is easily traceable. A call has been put in to the game warden
    Last edited by jerp; 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM.

I don’t know the answer, but dang that would be some high tech poaching.

Comment

I would think so, just like a phone. Whoever has the account for the SIM card is where the pics will go. They should be able to find out pretty easy who it belongs to.

Comment

The camera communicates to the cell tower via the simm card programing. SO yea it will go to the other card.

Just like changing your simm card on your cell phone.

Comment

Wow! Family member maybe that didn't realize that the land had sold?

tuned in on this one... but yeah, put a SIM in there and you should be able to trace it back to the person/account.

Comment

May be a guy that used to have permission to control hogs for previous owner, did your friend change locks/combos on gates

Comment

Set up a few no glow cams on the outside of the trap and on the road going to it. Shouldn’t take long.

Comment

If that's the case then the poacher already has your pics and knows his pig hunting there is over

Comment

I believe "hogmess" uses one of those traps and could probably tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    If that's the case then the poacher already has your pics and knows his pig hunting there is over
                    Yeah, he is probably saying who the H*** is messing with my trap!

Most would not mind if he was only poaching hogs.... most wouldn't care if you shot a hog out of your neighbors pasture.... if he would only stop with hogs and leave your trophy bucks alone.

Put that sim in a phone and see what number pops up. Make some calls to Japan or the Dolai Lama.

Keep us updated on your findings. Interesting. You may go back and find the whole trap missing!

Comment

Nothing that happens these days will surprise you

Comment

I am interested in the outcome of this thread. Keep us posted.

Comment

Whoever changed out the sim card can b is not only poaching but trespassin too. Call gw and have number traced and have that person arrested and prosecuted

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Back in August my buddy bought a hunting property and among the stuff that came with the purchase was a remote control pig trap - the kind that sends you pics and you can trigger it with a phone call. (corral type - about 15 yards across) He had been getting quite a few pics of both pigs and deer in the trap then a month ago he stopped getting pictures but just figured the battery had died. He went out to try and fix it and found it contained a SIM card different than the one he had installed. Am I right to assume if a poacher put his own SIM card in it, he would then be getting the pics and have the ability to trigger the trap? Doesn't make much sense - it seems the card would have a number that is easily traceable. A call has been put in to the game warden
                            Trapped hogs are $$$, you've probably got someone taking them if its a real productive spot.

Comment

In for the results. This is a crazy story

Comment

Working...
                              X