Single vs. Double beveled broadhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single vs. Double beveled broadhead?

Does one have any advantages over the other or is it just a preference thing? Also which would be better for shooting low draw weights?

Thanks

Craig

In my studies on this subject the single bevel is suppose to penetrate better than a double bevel. The singles are also suppose to open a bigger hole than the doubles. That is what made me decide to try some so I got some Abowyer Brown Bears and gave them a try. Killed a pig (not a big pig) on 1/1/11 with them for my first kill and from my 46#@27" longbow they blasted through for a complete pass through. They did leave big holes and the pig only made it 20 yards. If this is any indication of how well they perform, then I won't be using anything but single bevel heads from now on.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM.

Comment

There have been some studies done that seem to indicate that a single bevel BH will get a little better penetration. The name of the game here, though, is shot placement. If the shot is placed correctly then it really does not matter whether it is single or double bevel. Either way, your BH needs to be razor sharp and cut on impact design. I have never used a single bevel and I am kinda tied to my double bevels as I have quite an investment tied up in them (I shoot German Kinetic SilverFlame XL BH's). I know people who use single bevels. Putting a scary sharp BH in the correct place is what is most important here IMHO.

I have found, through personal experience, that using the widest BH you can will definitely improve your blood trails. If you are shooting low poundage then you may want to stick with a narrower BH to help with penetration. I shoot 1 1/2" wide BH's at everything up to and including deer sized animals and almost always get an entry and exit hole. Real big pigs and bigger animals I revert back to my 1 1/8" heads to gain penetration.

BTW, my set-ups are all 50#@my draw length and my arrows are right at 10ggp.

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 01-07-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

For me, it's preference. I shoot a double bevel STOS broadhead. STOS don't come in single bevel. I stay with a the double bevel STOS because they are very strong, the tips don't curl, they sharpen easily and they fly great.

Comment

Working...
        X