No announcement yet.

Can a wounded deer be dispatched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it is a “defense to prosecution if the animal is injured” or something to that effect.

Means you can be ticketed for it, but could get it dismissed based on circumstances.

I may know a guy that has done it a time or two with deer hung in fences or hit by cars.

Comment

I may know that same guy, he really gets around.

Comment

What deer?

Comment

I’m 51 now and growing up if we saw a deer that had been hit by a vehicle or hung in a fence we ( dad or older cousins ) would always shot or cut the throat. No question about it. Never occurred to call anyone either but back then a cell phone was fantasy.
          In the last 30 years I have released 2 deer from fences that stumbled away and shot 1 that had been hit on a county road. That was probably 10 years ago. Had a nice buck run in front of me and try to dive through a goat fence and hung his head in it last year. As I went to get my pistol he worked his way loose. I was surprised he didn’t break his neck as hard as he was working to get free. Anyway it seems times have changed since phones are handy now.

Comment

Friend had it happen both ways. Severely injured deer middle of no where was dispatched, so badly infected no need for anything else, left for coyotes. Deer hit by car and crawled off. Called game warden and was told to shoot it.

Comment

I’ve done it. Called the GW first. He told me to dispatch it with my firearm and wrote me something so I could transport it for me to process. I forgot what he called it, maybe a resource tag or something. It was a poaching incident where someone had tried to hunt it with a bow and it was too exhausted to clear the fence. Edited to add: I had also text him photos prior to dispatching
              Last edited by SNKETR; 10-20-2020, 05:43 PM. Reason: Added info about text.

Comment

There is this if you were not the one who wounded the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  What deer?

Comment

How dare you shoot his majesties property without pre authorization. Sigh. I say end the poor things misery and zip lips

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gemlin View Post
                      Call Game Warden FIRST.

They'll usually give you the OK.
                      I had the same situation last year and the game warden shot it for me. He offered to let me shoot him but I declined. I don't think they would fine you. Best to call and ask.

Comment

Is it legal to use a knife to kill a deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll do what needs to be done. If a judge has a problem with it... then so be it.

Comment

Too easy to txt or call the GW. He appreciates it, especially if he's on the other side of the county and one just needs to be drug off the road or something...saves him a trip.
                            I guess if your in the back forty you can do what you want. Close to a road and one clown video's you doing the right thing and well, you know.
                            Big ol 8 pt. got hit here close to the house one day and was on the edge of the road. I called to see if he wanted me to drag it out of the road and when he answered it wasn't hello....it was "just leave him there for a bit..and look to your left'!lol He was watching it to see if someone was gonna try and get the head off it or whatever else.

Comment

Those if you saying its not legal are wrong. Texas has a humane dispatch law. Anyone can dispatch a mortally wounded animal by any humane means as long as that person did not inflict the wound.

Comment

Found 2 locked up. One dead and the other was dragging it around. Called the GW. He said if we shot the live one we would have to tag it. If not leave it to die or free it some how. If we kept the dead one we would have to tag it. We waited till the live one was exhausted. We roped his back feet and held his head down and sawed his horn off with a sawzall. He laid there and we left. Came back an hour later the live deer had left. Came back the next morning and the coyotes had dinner!

Comment

Working...
                                X