Wonder If I Will EVER????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    We had a buck killed by us last year that "scored" about 15-20" more than everyone thought it would by the pics. Turned out they were adding the number of points in to the score. That "170" became a low 150s after some guidance was given.
    That's hilarious. I bet somebody was disappointed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
      Just find someone to score your next buck that counts the outside spread along with the inside spread and measures the tines all the way to the bottom of the beams [emoji12][emoji848]

So that’s how they are doing doing it?

I was curious how some people consistently have an extra 15-20” on their score I don’t see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"You would be further from the truth. Yes it is high fence BUT it hasn't been managed and fed for years on end like some of the ones you see on"

I think you just answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
          Kill a "Once in a Lifetime" buck or a buck over 150". I put out a BUNCH of feed, walk a LONG ways to my stands, pass a TON of deer up & yet, my biggest buck is just shy of 130". Don't get me wrong, I don't want to give up hunting one bit, I just always wonder when or if, I will get the opportunity.

I am glad and genuinely happy every time i see where someone has shot a BIG deer & offer up my congrats but there is that small part of my brain that ALWAYS is asking "why not me"?

Anyone else fell like this or am I being selfish?

I hunt public land. I am in the woods every weekend from September to January. I spend about 12hrs in the stand. I runs cameras. I kill a buck almost every year. It’s hard work and I haven’t shot anything over 130. My Brother In lay on the other hand goes out when he’s able and to a random spot most times. 4yrs ago we stayed up all night partying Friday before opening rifle. He walked into the woods on his first hunt of the year with 0 scouting and prep and has a 162” deer walk straight to him and drops him 20yrds from his stand. When he shot that deer we all congratulated him on what we thought was a once in a lifetime buck. Then this year the same exact thing happens but instead of walking to a random spot he went close to camp just to get out there, setup 400 yards from his dad and 600yrds from his uncle and shoots a 154” buck at 7:35. This time congratulations was forced. Lol

Put yourself in my shoes. I have definitely felt what you are feeling. All about being at the right place at the right time.

Some people are just born with horseshoes in their butts.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            10 years ago I would have told you absolutely I will. Now I don't know. It has progressively gotten worse where I hunt with properties splitting up and more people hunting. Deer population has nosedived. At this point I'd say there is a better chance that I'll quit hunting all together than there is that I'll shoot a 150+ deer. I haven't killed a deer since 2011.
            Adam you re depressing me man! You just had a legit monster killed out from under you and you act like you're hunting in Smith county or something!

Comment

Adam you re depressing me man! You just had a legit monster killed out from under you and you act like you're hunting in Smith county or something!
              I can't hunt anywhere near where he was killed. I've tried to find a spot. I scour the CAD websites trying to find places to get permissions or lease and it just isn't happening. My Cooke county place flat out sucks now. It is so bad I've been going to public land to hunt instead.

Comment

I can't hunt anywhere near where he was killed. I've tried to find a spot. I scour the CAD websites trying to find places to get permissions or lease and it just isn't happening. My Cooke county place flat out sucks now. It is so bad I've been going to public land to hunt instead.
                see what assuming can do...i thought you had a spot up there. i have a good friend in grayson co that has had his quality drop way off the last 4-5 years.

Comment

Kill a "Once in a Lifetime" buck or a buck over 150". I put out a BUNCH of feed, walk a LONG ways to my stands, pass a TON of deer up & yet, my biggest buck is just shy of 130". Don't get me wrong, I don't want to give up hunting one bit, I just always wonder when or if, I will get the opportunity.

I am glad and genuinely happy every time i see where someone has shot a BIG deer & offer up my congrats but there is that small part of my brain that ALWAYS is asking "why not me"?

Go south!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                    I just want a 3 pound crappie!! Don't give 2 chits about some furry antlered deer critter!!!

I don't even have that high of expectations! I break 2lbs it is going on the wall!

And if I ever break 26" on a speck, WALL HANGER.

Heck I don't know if I will ever get a buck. Public land close enough to be convenient to me is only open during bow season, and I don't get paid enough to hunt these big ones!

Comment

I got close this year with my bow...
                      Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      I just like to spread cheer.[emoji6]

I haven’t broken 150” with my bow either, only a HF gun hunt that I usually discount.

I want a discount on a high fence gun hunt too!
                      Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      What if you've already killed your deer of a lifetime?
                      Every buck i kill with my bow is a deer of a lifetime
                      Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                      Hey OP, PM me your address and I'll send you this tape. It has gotten me through some tough times.
                      Does anyone even have tape players anymore?
                      Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                      I’ve been hunting for 55 years and never seen a 150 on the hoof. Heck, I just hope I can take a 125 P&Y before I die!
                      I have and i couldn't shoot it. Was extended season and we were on a doe hunt only...
                      Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I'd bet that less than say 25% of all tx hunters will ever kill a 150" buck
                      Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                      Id bet the % is far less than that! Id go as far as to say its 2 maybe 3%
                      I was gonna say less than 25% too...
                      Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      As much as I like you that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post...
                      Are you sure about that?
                      Originally posted by Flex View Post
                      I don't even have that high of expectations! I break 2lbs it is going on the wall!

And if I ever break 26" on a speck, WALL HANGER.

Heck I don't know if I will ever get a buck. Public land close enough to be convenient to me is only open during bow season, and I don't get paid enough to hunt these big ones!
                      I dont have any fish on my wall... but I REALLY suck at fishing so...

Comment

What makes it worse is when you run cameras for 20+ years and never even see a huge buck passing through. They are few and far between to non-existent. The big boys are nocturnal. The big boys don't come to a feeder. BS! They don't exist is most places folks. Why don't they? Because over harvest in the buck segment by surrounding pressure. The land simply cannot sustain what is being taken from it in order to produce large, mature bucks. Sorry, just a little bitter

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Probably not
                          I gave up that dream a while back.
                          This!

Comment

see what assuming can do...i thought you had a spot up there. i have a good friend in grayson co that has had his quality drop way off the last 4-5 years.

The place I sent you the pics from last year has not had a single deer picture since last October.

Comment

The place I sent you the pics from last year has not had a single deer picture since last October.
                              Not good.

Comment

My 4th year of bowhunting in Kansas, 1969. Was used to seeing small 6 and 8 point bucks. Late October and I'd be happy with anything.
                                Then in a space of 30 seconds he showed up and a lucky shot put him down. Game Warden call it a big 12. Much later it was measured at 174.
                                It can happen very quickly. Hang in there.
                                Through 2005 it never happened again.

Comment

Working...
                                X