Anyone up for Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeatEater View Post
    What does a trip like that cost, turn key?
    Lots of variables, but usual advice is $10-12K depending on where you go, how much you get mounted, and how fancy you get with the trophies you take.

$2K airfare
    $6K Package once over there
    $2K to get your critters back

Comment

Some shure nuff good lookin critters ya got there! I'm headed over in 3 weeks with a limited amount of funds and can't make up my mind if I want a Blue or Zebra (can only afford 1 or the other). That may be decided by which one shows up first.

WARTHOG is #1 on my list...
      Last edited by shortstroke 91; 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MeatEater View Post
        What does a trip like that cost, turn key?
        I haven't been since '07 so my cost is out of date but it will give you a general idea. I took 6 animals - Blesbok, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala, and Bushbuck. I hunted 10 days and toured one day. I also had to pay for a bushbuck I lost. The turnkey cost including taxidermy was $18,500. Of that, dip/pack, shipping, and taxidermy was over $6000. That also included approximately $1000 I spent on gifts for my wife and family. I hunted with Dries Visser, he's not the most expensive but certainly not the cheapest.

I've also been working on a work sheet to more accurately reflect today's prices. This worksheet is based on Dare to Bowhunt. If interested, PM me and I'll see if I can send you a copy.

If you go, definitely go to an outfit that specializes in Bowhunting. For a first timer, there are some good packages available that will save some money. If you go the package route, look for one that will allow substitution of animals within the package. I also recommend South Africa for a first timer as they have the greatest variety of animals available.

Comment

Area has a big impact - the Limpopo area is kind equatable to South Texas in terms of general trophy quality and cost, East Cape's kinda like the hill country generally cheaper but a little less known for grande trophies (plenty good, just not known to produce the same upper end quality)

I went with Sutton Safaris http://suttonsafaris.co.za/ back in '09, and he has a wonderful setup for bowhunters - you'll notice the trophy fees are much less than the limpopo areas. Accomodations are comfortable, but not overly fancy like some areas. If enough were interested, I could certainly contact to see what a group rate would be. He can only do 4-5 hunters comfortably.

Comment

Im in if all looks good get a price , trick is getting enough people that ( WILL GO ) keep me in mind have bow will travel,,,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
              Area has a big impact - the Limpopo area is kind equatable to South Texas in terms of general trophy quality and cost, East Cape's kinda like the hill country generally cheaper but a little less known for grande trophies (plenty good, just not known to produce the same upper end quality)

I went with Sutton Safaris http://suttonsafaris.co.za/ back in '09, and he has a wonderful setup for bowhunters - you'll notice the trophy fees are much less than the limpopo areas. Accomodations are comfortable, but not overly fancy like some areas. If enough were interested, I could certainly contact to see what a group rate would be. He can only do 4-5 hunters comfortably.
              I looked at their website and it looks good. I have hunted the Limpopo twice and would like to try the East Cape.

Comment

Here's a little write-up I did on that hunt in '09. He's got something going on with his photo pages failing. You'll see from the pics, he has good critters. ESPECIALLY strong herds of black wildebeest, hartebeest, zebra, springbok, and blesbok

Comment

Great pics

Comment

Working...
                  X