"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paintman View Post
    so it doesnt go all the way to "the spot"???
    No, Txfirefighter and I have been back in there the past few days I was disappointed in what little sign we saw. I hope it gets better. It is definitely slow. Best of luck send me a message if you need anything or are wanting to hunt one day me and txfirefighter are trying to get out more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
      No, Txfirefighter and I have been back in there the past few days I was disappointed in what little sign we saw. I hope it gets better. It is definitely slow. Best of luck send me a message if you need anything or are wanting to hunt one day me and txfirefighter are trying to get out more and more.
      cool were gonna hit up #6 again sunday around noon time

Comment

Cool good luck let us know how it is

Comment

Paintman, send me ur phone number. I will be out sunday afternoon after work. I usually get out there by 3. Maybe we can meet up.

Comment

Planning on hunting next week wednesday and thursday to see what can happen before the Heli shoot. Im planning on pushing all the holes and busting all the groups up ive been hunting. Im hoping that they get broke up enough to make it harder for the Heli guys to shoot, figure if the hogs are split up they cant shoot at a group and maybe take less hogs, I dont know, maybe it wont work but its worth a try. If anyone is wanting to hunt wednesday or thursday afternoon let me know, more the marrier as far as breaking these groups up.
            PM me

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
              With 96% or more of Texas being privately-owned, it is extremely difficult to acquire public hunting lands in Central, West, South Texas, the Panhandle and Hill Country regions in Texas. TPWD is always searching for new public hunting lands each and every year, but it takes landowners willing to lease their lands so the public has additional hunting opportunities with the APH permit as opposed to what they could receive from leasing directly to individuals. That's really what it is in a nutshell.
              So here's a wonderful opportunity for TPWD (which cares so much about "public hunting" & us working class Texan hunters -as opposed to wealthy trophy hunters... uh, huh...) to develop a hunt area of 72 square miles outside of Austin in conjuntion with the feds ala Granger/Somerville whatnot...Same company about to do a Heli-shoot in there to wipe out the pigs and suprise - the public comment end date is Feb.03 (coincidental with the Granger heli-shoot date just a few air miles over to the East much?) ...
              read what's happening here with this link:

Now read about the landowners and the $$$ making hog hunting proerties and the fences...and trying to breed them and get them to multiply faster, trapping and relocating them to the private ranches, and some of the comments from guys selling pigs to them trapped off his own ranch..so they can well high $$$ hunts to city slickers with fat wallets and rifles...anybody wonder about the conflict of interest with a business that makes money contracting with the feds to heli-shoot which would lose out on that business if joe hunter could hunt them instead...and the ranchers profiting from selling big ticket hog hunts who may lose business to public areas if folks could simply buy a $48 APH Permit and hunting license for a whole YEAR of hunting..who would pay these ranchers big $$$ for a canned hunt IF they could go on a blue collar "public hunt"??? Maybe it benefits landowner groups, groups who run these canned hunts off private property, the heli-shoot company to keep the pig numbers way down on publice lands to eliminate the cometition??? And the feds being subject to certain "pressures" from certain groups (not us peon blue collar hunters for sure) contract to have the deed done...read some about the mentality of the hog hunt ranches here of another current TBH thread:

SIMPLY AMAZING..the greed and the manuevering...put two and two together and see if you get four here gang...maybe it's a reach, but I think there's a possiblity of a little of "palm greasing" going on in some circles...

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                Planning on hunting next week wednesday and thursday to see what can happen before the Heli shoot. Im planning on pushing all the holes and busting all the groups up ive been hunting. Im hoping that they get broke up enough to make it harder for the Heli guys to shoot, figure if the hogs are split up they cant shoot at a group and maybe take less hogs, I dont know, maybe it wont work but its worth a try. If anyone is wanting to hunt wednesday or thursday afternoon let me know, more the marrier as far as breaking these groups up.
                PM me
                Hey Crod, I've finally got a chance of getting off work to get in there at Granger either/or this Friday afternoon or Sunday depending on my better half's "plans" for my butt..I was going to hunt between PC and Comanche Bluff as per the areas I was seeing & scoring on pigs last summer..but if you think it would help to scatter out the pigs some prior to the helishoot as you're sayin', PM me where I should go to tromp around and try to get those groups busted up some(below the dam/between zone 6/7 or wherever)...I'm game for doing what I can for our "cause" (preservation of our hunting for the rest of the year )...I'd rather hunt, but if it's possible to save some breeders from the heli then tell me where to hike to! I'll gladly put in a little work ...

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                  Last saturday afternoon, I ran across a landowner that was cruising his fence line- not hunting- just cruising on his property. We spoke for a while and the topic of the hog fence and heli-shoot came up. It was interesting to get his perspective because he didn't want the fence nor the heli shooting. He doesn't have any crops to protect, and yes he did have a hog trap. He said the hogs just aren't around like they used to be. We parted ways, and I ended up getting into the hogs (no shots) not 400 yards from where we were talking, but I know the fence, the brush clearing, and the heli shooting affect the hogs. It does seem like our tax dollars would have been better spent on a more site-specific fence around the croplands. I still love hunting Granger, even though I usually go home empty handed. Heck, it's tough dragging a hog out of there, so empty handed is not so bad sometimes.
                  agreed...last pig I drug out of there was an 80 pounder in August in temps between 105/110 degrees...about 2 miles back out to where I was parked at Comanche Bluffs...wish I could have been able to drive back in on that two track road to pick up my hog...**** near died of heat exhaustion!! But I love it, who am I kidding, lol...it IS hunting and it's great to be able to do it hard work and all

Comment

Yeah some of those "hog pen hunts" are pretty rediculous. I have a friend (doesnt hunt) that got invited by his father in law to a pig hunt last month south of san antonio somewhere. He said there was 12-16 people there to hunt at first light. They split em up in 4s and told them to walk the fencline counter clockwise till noon. They were on a 200 ac pasture! hunting with rifles. He said there was probably 2 big groups in there that would get spooked back and forth to each of the groups and thats when they would get there shots... He said they killed 2 pigs and had alot of fun! At 250 a person for the day... I said wow yeah that does sound like fun!... I couldnt believe what he was telling! I wanted to tell him im sorry but that aint hunting... and your an idiot for trusting total strangers shooting behind you... Anyways aperantly this is very common and i can totally see why those "hunting ranches" would not want us to hunt public land... I also see the farmers view on this though it just sucks that they have to shoot were we all hunt!

Comment

TPWD is having a public meeting on jan 26-27 in austin HQ. maybe the heli shoot and comments should be brought up there!!

Crod- im down for hunting next week and getting one before the heli-shoot.

Comment

Hey crod I will be below the **** on wed and thursday if your in the area. pm me and we can meet up sometime. Went out this morning but way to windy and so no activity . I seem to have better luck in the afternoon when the wind calms down.

Comment

Heading out in the AM.
                          Ill be done by 10 tomorrow casue of prior commitments.
                          I will be out thursday, meeting TXFIREFIGHTER also and we are gonna push some areas.
                          If your gonna be out thursday PM me with ur number and ill txt yah and we can plan on meeting.
                          Whoever can hunt next week to push the pigs on wedensday and thursday let me know by Tuesday next week and we can work on a plan if anyone wants to make this a group effort in makeing this harder for the Heli shooters.

Chris

My number is 5129639797 if anyone wants to txt me ( I dont talk on the phone much), just make sure you state who u are.

Comment

Hey all -
                            Long time reader, first time poster. A buddy and I are heading out to Granger on Monday morning for our first ever crossbow hunt. We've both killed hogs with rifles but never got one with a crossbow. Am thinking we are going to head below the dam and follow the road to the back fence and try to catch them crossing back there, but if anyone has any other pointers I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm thinking our trip will be more scouting than anything else, but hoping we can spook up a pack along the way.

Looking forward to my trip and will post pictures if we get lucky.

Comment

Crod, i saved your number. Might be able to make it out today. If not well I will send you a txt when i can and maybe the timing will be right. Bigmike, pointers, wear comfy shoes and pack light. You have to cover a lot of ground. But that is what makes it fun. Oh and get a real bow x bows are for girls. haah just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeATX View Post
                                Hey all -
                                Long time reader, first time poster. A buddy and I are heading out to Granger on Monday morning for our first ever crossbow hunt. We've both killed hogs with rifles but never got one with a crossbow. Am thinking we are going to head below the dam and follow the road to the back fence and try to catch them crossing back there, but if anyone has any other pointers I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm thinking our trip will be more scouting than anything else, but hoping we can spook up a pack along the way.

Looking forward to my trip and will post pictures if we get lucky.
                                Welcome and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X