Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Protein question per contract

Our lease owner paid $1800 for protein in February for 5 protein feeders;

This is our first year on the lease...He said we would be responsible for the protein next year...verbally...

Well he called today and said the protein feeders are empty and they need to be filled and he would have to be reimbursed on the cost...per our contract.

Well when we got on the lease I told my guys that he would pay for the protein this year and we would be responsible next year.

The Contract says...the protein was filled in February 2018, which should last roughly one year. Lessees will pay for or reimburse the subsequent refills through 2020.

Trying to find a resolution, I just hate to ask my guys for the money, its a struggle for most to just pay the lease dues...

Sounds like the landowner was a tad off on his estimation of how long the feed would last. That being said, your guys have to know that feeding the deer is their shared responsibility. Good luck!

Comment

Do what the contract that you signed says.....Fill the protein...

Comment

Does your contact state "should last roughly one year?" It's only been 4 months. That's no where near "roughly one year." I would have an issue with this. However if the contract states you are responsible for all refills through 2020 then this is an issue that won't go away. I suggest you let your guys know they will be paying about $3,600 or more per year to feed deer. If y'all don't want to do that it may be time to try and renegotiate your contract, or look for another lease.

Comment

If everyone likes the lease I would talk to the owner and discuss it after I talked to everyone just to know what flexibility you have if any and try to work it out. I think you will be able to get a good feel for what kind ofmanthe property owner is. If he is not honest or flexible then the sooner the better it is to find out. I hope it works out for y'all.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless they were monster sized feeders are you don’t have very many deer are coons there no way a feeder will last a full year !!

Comment

those protein feeders must hold 10k lbs ea?? or nothing is eating it? lol

Comment

Realistically, you shouldn't need to feed protein but for another 3-4 months to support this years antler growth. If its in your contract you should at least be able to convince the landowner to pay for that much. I know that stuff is expensive and i hope you can work out a solution. You wont regret staying on good terms with the landowner especially if its a good lease that you'd like to stay on. We go a more natural route and just feed whole cottonseed which is cheaper and other animals don't eat it as much.

Comment

lease

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Does your contact state "should last roughly one year?" It's only been 4 months. That's no where near "roughly one year." I would have an issue with this. However if the contract states you are responsible for all refills through 2020 then this is an issue that won't go away. I suggest you let your guys know they will be paying about $3,600 or more per year to feed deer. If y'all don't want to do that it may be time to try and renegotiate your contract, or look for another lease.
                  The contract say exactly what I typed..."should last roughly a year, he said the deer are hitting them hard this year because of the dry conditions. I'm going to talk to him and see if we can work something out. Its just an added expense that we were prepared to pay next year but not this year. We were just going to divide the 1800 up next year between members but with this being our first year we already have expense of getting everything set up.

"Roughly a year" and 3 months is a big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
                    The contract say exactly what I typed..."should last roughly a year, he said the deer are hitting them hard this year because of the dry conditions. I'm going to talk to him and see if we can work something out. Its just an added expense that we were prepared to pay next year but not this year. We were just going to divide the 1800 up next year between members but with this being our first year we already have expense of getting everything set up.

How big are the feeders? Doing the math I am going to assume they are 1400 to 1500 lb feeders.

Comment

Reckon you only got 4 months for free. Prolly ought to fill it and not say anything to him or he might get the azz torward you. If them fellers that got on the lease with you are struggling to pay the lease fees, you might have problems with them later anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post

Then by his own words (dry conditions) this year is an exception. Hopefully y'all can work something out for this season. Good luck. Maybe y'all will see monster bucks and decide it's worth the expense going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                          How big are the feeders? Doing the math I am going to assume they are 1400 to 1500 lb feeders.
                          I'm not sure how big they are, he said it was $1800 to fill 5...

Comment

Try to work something out

Comment

So he is picking up the protein and filling them for you I’m assuming? Tell him y’all will get up there and buy as much protein as y’all are willing to buy and go up there and put protein in yalls self . Then next year let him do what he states he will do in the contract

Comment

Working...
                              X