Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain Man Breakfast: Dutch Oven and in the kitchen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Man Breakfast: Dutch Oven and in the kitchen!

I LOVE Mountain Man type breakfasts, they are easy, lots of calories and can be eaten anytime, not just for breakfast. A Mountain Man Breakfast is, usually, a recipe that involves several base items that can all be cooked either together or at very close intervals. The recipe here is the basic MMB I use; from this you will be able to add all kinds of vegetables, or spices.

The main ingredients are:
    Sausage
    Bacon (optional but recommended)
    Potatoes
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Stuffing or bread crumbs

Quantities will be tailored to your taste and how many you are feeding.

This recipe below is for a typical three person meal when one of those people is a 13 year old boy (so really for four people).

1 pound of sausage
    1 pound of bacon
    3 medium to large potatoes
    6 eggs
    half a bag (or one carton) of stuffing mix (bread only no spices)

Dutch Oven Style
    In an 8 to 10 quart DO quarter the potatoes and cover to 2 inches with water. Cover the bottom of the DO with charcoal to get a good boil an cook the potatoes until you can cut them easily with a spoon, firm but now mushy.

while the potatoes are cooking use the lid, inverted on a lid stand, to cook the sausage and bacon, cook everything to well done.

When the potatoes are ready pour off the water until you have a little less than two cups left and then add the stuffing (or bread crumbs). Mix it all up until the potatoes are mashed and the water has been absorbed by the stuffing mix.

Then add the sausage and bacon you cooked up earlier along with the eggs and, again, mix it all together very well.

add the grated cheese to the top of the mixture to your liking, about a half inch thick for me, I like cheese!

Everything should be in the DO now and we are ready to cook for the last time. Shoot for a temperature of about 250-275 degrees.

SO, 10-12 briquettes on the bottom and 14 or so on the top. Cook until the eggs are done. If, when you are checking it, the cheese is starting to turn brown/black, remove some heat from the top and add it to the bottom. This will happen if the food is close to the top or, obviously, if there is too much heat.

If you would like to add onions, peppers, mushrooms or things like that Cook them up with your sausage and bacon. Just remember, everything you add together for the final cook should already be cooked, except for the eggs.

Total cook time is about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Kitchen Style

Nothing changes for this except I use different pots and skillets. I boil the potatoes in a 4 quart sauce pan, and cook everything else up in a large, 12 inch, cast iron skillet.

I then combine everything in the skillet just like I did in the DO, put the lid on the skillet and place it in the oven at 300 degrees. Cook until the eggs are done.

The great thing about the MMB is that it works as a stand alone meal, or with tortillas like breakfast tacos. It also keeps well throughout the day; as it is easy to make A LOT it makes a great meal for breakfast right through to lunch.

But the best part is how easy it is to tailor to your specific tastes. You can even add the veggies and stuff your wife likes to one half of the mix and leave the other half unmolested; kinda like you can on a pizza.

Enjoy this recipe and think of our frontiersmen, trappers and hunters as they braved a new world and blazed trails for us to follow; this is the food that fueled them on those great adventures!

Fresh out of the kitchen oven!

I will be trying this soon!

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

Looks very hearty and good.

Comment

Sounds good!!!

Comment

You got more room on this mountain?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              You got more room on this mountain?
              Nope, my mountain; trespassers will be shot, survivors will be prosecuted!

But I will send down recipes from the top, you can leave your offerings at the bottom! [emoji1]

Comment

Made this stuff this weekend very good definitely on my keep list.

Comment

Yum..will be making this soon

Comment

In scouts we made those quite frequently. We used hash browns instead of the bread crumbs and added fresh cut jalapeƱos. Love me some mountain man.

Comment

A favorite staple of the Boy Scout camping menu.

Comment

Good idea.... gonna try it but sub with hashbrowns, chorizo and queso blanco.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                          Good idea.... gonna try it but sub with hashbrowns, chorizo and queso blanco.
                          you sir are a Chef all of my favorite ingredients in it now

Comment

I need about a pound of that right now. I'll be trying this soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X