Fried Catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Catfish

Anybody do anything different than cornmeal with Fried Catfish? Post up what you got.

Jiffy cornbread mix

Comment

I run 2 to one Flour to Cornmeal. Then Salt & Black pepper to taste. Also Cayenne Pepper and Ground Mustard. I usually soak mine in beer the day before and Buttermilk just before dredging. If it's Thick fillets, I'll dip them in egg before the dredge too - it keeps them crunchier.

Comment

I am going to watch this thread... I only like "crispy" fried fillets (and not burnt before someone suggests that).... i'd love to know that secret to crispy crunchy fried fish... if not crispy I can live without it and eat the french fries and hushpuppies...

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
          I only like "crispy" fried fillets (and not burnt before someone suggests that).... i'd love to know that secret to crispy crunchy fried fish... if not crispy I can live without it and eat the french fries and hushpuppies...
          I think the key to "crispy" is really hot oil. If you don't have the oil hot enough or if you put the fish in too soon the batter soaks up the oil and it will never get crispy. Also, don't put in too many fillets at once - that really brings the temps down. I like to get the oil to 350* or a little higher - just below the "smoke point". If you dont have a thermometer, cut some squares of bread. When you can toss a piece in the oil and it floats and dances around on top of the oil, it's hot enough.
          I like to put a light coat of regular ol' yellow mustard on the fillets before rolling in the cornmeal/flour/spice combination. Doesnt make it taste like mustard really, just adds a tangy kick.
          Last edited by jerp; 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I think the key to "crispy" is really hot oil. If you don't have the oil hot enough or if you put the fish in too soon the batter soaks up the oil and it will never get crispy. Ity also happens if you try to put in too many fillets at once - reallyt brings the temps down. I like to get the oil to 350* or a little higher - just below the "smoke point". If you dont have a thermometer, cut some squares of bread. When you can toss a piece in the oil and it floats and dances around on top of the oil, it's hot enough.
            I like to put a light coat of regular ol' yellow mustard on the fillets before rolling in the cornmeal/flour/spice combination. Doesnt make it taste like mustard really, just adds a tangy kick.
            Thanks Jerp...

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
              Jiffy cornbread mix
              Greatness

Comment

dip in watered down mustard, roll in cornmeal with sprinkle of cornstarch and seasoning of choice, drop in hot oil, and scoop out when it floats. Crunchy on outside tender in the middle.

Comment

Panko Breakcrumbs comes out great!

Comment

Crushed rice krispies. It's amazing!

Comment

I just throw them in a bowl. Squirt a couple tablespoons of mustard, and mix them so they get a thin coat. Then I doctor up some cornmeal with salt, pepper, tony's, cayenne, etc., to taste. Put the cornmeal in a (double) paper bag and shake the fillets until they get an even coat. Fry them about 10degrees over recommended. Try and let them get to room temp so they don't cool the grease down too much.

Comment

I soak my fillets in egg, mustard and Louisiana Hot Sauce for a day. Then I coat em in cornmeal with salt, coarse ground pepper and cajun seasoning, drop em in the grease and get ready for the neighbor stampede!

Comment

louisana fish fry

Comment

Originally posted by bowenarra View Post
                            Crushed rice krispies. It's amazing!
                            realy!!! have to try it..

Comment

Mustard is the way to go. Back as a kid in Illinois, shudder, I had a friend who would never eat fish. We had a big fish fry with mustard and cornmeal fried bluegill and talked him into trying one. He cleaned us out of fish!
                              I also like Zataran's Crispy Southern Fish Fry.

Comment

Working...
                              X