Passenger forcible removed from flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    I agree that it was a horrible move by United, but I have to disagree that there were millions of dollars worth of "damages" done to the passenger. And no I have no idea what this man is owed for this type of treatment.

I say we add United to the TBH boycott list.

Man now you're crazy. That will plum put them out of business.

I just want a damage award that prevents this from ever happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRanč View Post
      Anyone wanna wager....i'll say United stock won't drop a $1 between now & end of 2nd qtr....any takers?
      Lol they could lose $100,000 on this deal and their stock not change by $1, does that mean it was a good business decision... No. There are other factors besides the bottom line you should consider as well, do you want to be the airline known to drag passengers off an overbooked flight.
      I will bet that some United official will make a statement apologizing soon if they haven't already and usually you don't want people having to make public apologies. Wanna wager?

Comment

My stance is simply the way it works...no more/no less!

Dang! Was hoping to get in the airline business off of ya...lol
        And your stance the way it works is wrong 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
          Lol they could lose $100,000 on this deal and their stock not change by $1, does that mean it was a good business decision... No. There are other factors besides the bottom line you should consider as well, do you want to be the airline known to drag passengers off an overbooked flight.
          I will bet that some United official will make a statement apologizing soon if they haven't already and usually you don't want people having to make public apologies. Wanna wager?
          UAL is down 92 cents per share afterhours So take the bet quick Brandon LOL

But being it's market cap is 22.5 Billion they would need to lose multi-millions to chance the stock price very much.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
            Yeah...silly shareholders...what do they care about stock price...lol...i would invest more b/c of good PR & negative margins...lol

& I don't suspect they lost a dime on this particular flight...i suspect the decision made margin...not erode it

Comment

So much for owners rights. "I said get your *** up and get off my plane!"
              Sound like a bunch of them snowflakes I keep hearing about.

Comment

My stance is simply the way it works...no more/no less! If that's the case there was a reason they flew it...they didn't fly it b/c they liked you & wanted you to enjoy yourself...lol, they did it b/c it was hard or soft revenue driven to do so...airlines are one of the most cut throat industries around...right next to grocery & contract mfg. most could/would go belly up if fuel contracts are off by mere $.05's per gallon

Dang! Was hoping to get in the airline business off of ya...lol
                No you posted earlier if the flight is not profitable they will cancel it. I've been on several overbooked flights and everyone of them came over the loud speaker and negotiated until they fulfilled their needs. I gave up my seat several times for a later flight. Never have I seen an airline drag somebody off a plane to accomidate crew
                Last edited by BrandonA; 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

This is what Delta's contract of carriage says about refusing to transport... taken from page 13...

"Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, and may remove any passenger from its aircraft
                  at any time, for any of the following reasons:
                  A) Government Request or Regulations
                  Whenever such action is necessary to comply with any government regulations, directives, or
                  instructions; or to comply with any governmental request for emergency transportation in
                  connection with the national defense, or whenever such action is necessary or advisable by
                  reason of weather or other conditions beyond its control (including but without limitation, acts of
                  God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, or disturbances)
                  actual, threatened, or reported.
                  B) Search of Passenger or Property
                  When a passenger refuses to permit search of his person or property for explosives, weapons,
                  dangerous materials, or other prohibited items.
                  C) Proof of Identity
                  When a passenger refuses on request to produce positive identification; provided, however, that
                  Delta shall have no obligation to require positive identification of persons purchasing tickets
                  and/or presenting tickets for the purpose of boarding aircraft.
                  D) Travel Across International Boundaries
                  When a passenger is traveling across any international boundary if:
                  1) the travel documents of such passenger are not in order; or
                  2) such transportation would be unlawful
                  E) Failure to Comply with Delta’s Rules or Contract of Carriage
                  When a passenger fails or refuses to comply with any of Delta’s rules or regulations or any term
                  of the contract of carriage.
                  F) Passenger’s Conduct or Condition
                  Delta will not refuse to provide transportation to a passenger with a disability, as defined in 14
                  C.F.R. § 382.5 and 382.31, based upon the passenger’s disability, except as as allowed or
                  required by law. Delta will not refuse to provide transportation based upon race, color, national
                  origin, religion, sex, or ancestry. Subject to those qualifications, Delta may refuse to transport
                  any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or
                  removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s
                  comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the
                  prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees. By way of
                  example, and without limitation, Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from
                  its aircraft in any of the following situations:
                  1) When the passenger’s conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent;
                  *2) When the passenger is barefoot;
                  3) When the passenger appears to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
                  4) When the passenger attempts to interfere with any member of the flight crew in the pursuit of
                  his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew;
                  5) When the passenger has a contagious disease that may be transmissible to other passengers
                  during the normal course of the flight;
                  6) When the passenger has a malodorous condition;
                  7) When the passenger is unable to sit in a seat with the seatbelt fastened;
                  8) When the passenger’s behavior may be hazardous to himself/herself, the crew, or other
                  passengers;
                  9) When the passenger is seriously ill, and fails to provide a physician's written permission to fly.
                  10) When the passenger’s conduct creates an unreasonable risk of offense or annoyance to
                  other passengers;
                  11) When the passenger’s conduct creates a risk of harm or damage to the carrier’s aircraft
                  and/or property, or the property of other passengers"

As to denied boarding...
                  " DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION (from page 43)
                  *A) Overbooking of Flights
                  Because passengers with confirmed reservations on a flight sometimes fail to show, Delta
                  reserves the right to sell more tickets for travel on each flight than there are seats available on
                  the aircraft. In some cases, this may result in a flight in which Delta cannot accommodate one or
                  more passengers with confirmed reservations (an “oversold flight”). Delta may deny boarding to
                  passengers with confirmed reservations on an oversold flight as set forth in this rule. The rights
                  of passengers who are denied boarding shall be governed by this rule.
                  B) Request For Volunteers
                  Before denying boarding to any passenger holding a confirmed reservation on an oversold
                  flight, Delta will ask other passengers on the flight to voluntarily give up their seat in exchange
                  for compensation in an amount and form to be determined by Delta in its sole discretion. If a
                  sufficient number of volunteers agree to give up their seats in response to Delta’s offer, then no
                  passenger with a confirmed reservation will be involuntarily denied boarding due to the oversale
                  of the flight. If there are more volunteers than required, selection of the volunteer(s) to receive
                  compensation shall be subject to Delta’s sole discretion.
                  C) Involuntary Denied Boarding
                  If an insufficient number of passengers volunteer to give up their seats in response to Delta’s
                  offer, Delta may involuntarily deny boarding to one or more passengers on the oversold flight
                  according to the following boarding priority rules:
                  1) Passengers Holding Tickets for Travel in Premium Cabin, SkyMiles members identified
                  with a Diamond Medallion (“DM”), Platinum Medallion (“PM”), or Gold Medallion (“GM”)
                  elite-status designation, and passengers holding tickets purchased under a DL
                  corporate travel agreement.
                  Passengers holding tickets for confirmed space in the First or Business class cabin,
                  SkyMiles members identified with a DM, PM, or GM elite-status designation, and
                  passengers holding tickets purchased under a DL corporate travel agreement will be
                  accommodated before other passengers holding tickets and/or boarding passes for
                  confirmed space in the coach cabin.
                  2) Passengers With Boarding Passes
                  Subject to the terms set forth in Rule 245(c )(1) and (4), passengers holding boarding
                  passes who check in and present themselves at the departure gate in compliance with
                  Rule 135(c) will be accommodated before passengers traveling in the same cabin who
                  have not been issued boarding passes or who fail to comply with applicable check-in
                  requirements. Subject to the availability of seats on the aircraft, boarding passes may
                  be obtained by passengers who hold tickets for confirmed reserved space in the
                  following manner:
                  a) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through the Online Check-in feature
                  on Delta.com within 24 hours of scheduled departure.

*b) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through a Delta airport kiosk within
                  four hours of scheduled departure
                  c) from a Delta airport ticket counter and/or the check-in desk located in the departure
                  area.
                  3) Passengers Without Boarding Passes
                  Passengers, who are not governed by Rule 245(c)(1) or (4), with confirmed reservations
                  who have not been issued a boarding pass and present themselves at the departure
                  gate in compliance with rule 135(c) will be accommodated according to the following
                  priority rules:
                  a) Passengers who have been rebooked to the present flight as a result of an irregular
                  operation (e.g., delay, cancellation) of a previously booked flight.
                  b) SkyMiles members identified with a Silver Medallion (“FO”) elite-status designation.
                  c) Passengers with a SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus status.
                  d) Passengers without any elite-status designation.
                  Within each of the foregoing groups, passengers are prioritized first by class of service
                  and then by time of check-in."

The issue here is that the guy had ALREADY BOARDED...

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    As has been said above, overbooking is part of the deal when you fly. You don't have any "right" to that seat - they own the airplane so if they tell you to get off, you get off. You can then decide to never fly United again if you want. The airline handled it poorly, no doubt. They should have upped the bid until they got a taker. Or, the captain says "ok, we are going to sit here until someone gets off"
                    Problem is once your butt hits the seat, then the game changes for folks in their mind...this should have been handled before they all boarded. Leave it in the lobby/gate. Good gosh, can't someone freak'n count??

It was really stupid of them to not keep upping the offer till someone bit. Man, if I owned an airline there would have been a cash offer starting at $100 & bumped up $100 every minute till someone accepted. Keep going at the accepted number till the number needed are off the plane. Everyone is happy & life goes on.

What's the new bill gonna cost them...unacceptable actions. I don't fly much but as a guy who lives & breathes customer service?? How could you assault a paying customer for the services you offered to provide and then failed??

I bet this never would have happened before 9-11...I loathe commercial travel ever since. So glad I don't have to fly very often.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I would have left peacefully, but my final free speech would have been: "I believe in fate & don't wanna be on a plane that crashes...adios!!"

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      And your stance the way it works is wrong 100%.
                      Not if i'm in business to make $ it isn't...in any business you won't make 100% of folks happy 100% of the time...

& I respectfully disagree...if i pay $100k yr to an airline & you pay $300...i should take precedence over you on a flight...i'm simply a better customer, even if i pay less than you on 1 particular flight

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                        This is what Delta's contract of carriage says about refusing to transport... taken from page 13...

"Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, and may remove any passenger from its aircraft
                        at any time, for any of the following reasons:
                        A) Government Request or Regulations
                        Whenever such action is necessary to comply with any government regulations, directives, or
                        instructions; or to comply with any governmental request for emergency transportation in
                        connection with the national defense, or whenever such action is necessary or advisable by
                        reason of weather or other conditions beyond its control (including but without limitation, acts of
                        God, force majeure, strikes, civil commotions, embargoes, wars, hostilities, or disturbances)
                        actual, threatened, or reported.
                        B) Search of Passenger or Property
                        When a passenger refuses to permit search of his person or property for explosives, weapons,
                        dangerous materials, or other prohibited items.
                        C) Proof of Identity
                        When a passenger refuses on request to produce positive identification; provided, however, that
                        Delta shall have no obligation to require positive identification of persons purchasing tickets
                        and/or presenting tickets for the purpose of boarding aircraft.
                        D) Travel Across International Boundaries
                        When a passenger is traveling across any international boundary if:
                        1) the travel documents of such passenger are not in order; or
                        2) such transportation would be unlawful
                        E) Failure to Comply with Delta’s Rules or Contract of Carriage
                        When a passenger fails or refuses to comply with any of Delta’s rules or regulations or any term
                        of the contract of carriage.
                        F) Passenger’s Conduct or Condition
                        Delta will not refuse to provide transportation to a passenger with a disability, as defined in 14
                        C.F.R. § 382.5 and 382.31, based upon the passenger’s disability, except as as allowed or
                        required by law. Delta will not refuse to provide transportation based upon race, color, national
                        origin, religion, sex, or ancestry. Subject to those qualifications, Delta may refuse to transport
                        any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or
                        removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s
                        comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the
                        prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees. By way of
                        example, and without limitation, Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from
                        its aircraft in any of the following situations:
                        1) When the passenger’s conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent;
                        *2) When the passenger is barefoot;
                        3) When the passenger appears to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
                        4) When the passenger attempts to interfere with any member of the flight crew in the pursuit of
                        his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew;
                        5) When the passenger has a contagious disease that may be transmissible to other passengers
                        during the normal course of the flight;
                        6) When the passenger has a malodorous condition;
                        7) When the passenger is unable to sit in a seat with the seatbelt fastened;
                        8) When the passenger’s behavior may be hazardous to himself/herself, the crew, or other
                        passengers;
                        9) When the passenger is seriously ill, and fails to provide a physician's written permission to fly.
                        10) When the passenger’s conduct creates an unreasonable risk of offense or annoyance to
                        other passengers;
                        11) When the passenger’s conduct creates a risk of harm or damage to the carrier’s aircraft
                        and/or property, or the property of other passengers"

As to denied boarding...
                        " DENIED BOARDING COMPENSATION (from page 43)
                        *A) Overbooking of Flights
                        Because passengers with confirmed reservations on a flight sometimes fail to show, Delta
                        reserves the right to sell more tickets for travel on each flight than there are seats available on
                        the aircraft. In some cases, this may result in a flight in which Delta cannot accommodate one or
                        more passengers with confirmed reservations (an “oversold flight”). Delta may deny boarding to
                        passengers with confirmed reservations on an oversold flight as set forth in this rule. The rights
                        of passengers who are denied boarding shall be governed by this rule.
                        B) Request For Volunteers
                        Before denying boarding to any passenger holding a confirmed reservation on an oversold
                        flight, Delta will ask other passengers on the flight to voluntarily give up their seat in exchange
                        for compensation in an amount and form to be determined by Delta in its sole discretion. If a
                        sufficient number of volunteers agree to give up their seats in response to Delta’s offer, then no
                        passenger with a confirmed reservation will be involuntarily denied boarding due to the oversale
                        of the flight. If there are more volunteers than required, selection of the volunteer(s) to receive
                        compensation shall be subject to Delta’s sole discretion.
                        C) Involuntary Denied Boarding
                        If an insufficient number of passengers volunteer to give up their seats in response to Delta’s
                        offer, Delta may involuntarily deny boarding to one or more passengers on the oversold flight
                        according to the following boarding priority rules:
                        1) Passengers Holding Tickets for Travel in Premium Cabin, SkyMiles members identified
                        with a Diamond Medallion (“DM”), Platinum Medallion (“PM”), or Gold Medallion (“GM”)
                        elite-status designation, and passengers holding tickets purchased under a DL
                        corporate travel agreement.
                        Passengers holding tickets for confirmed space in the First or Business class cabin,
                        SkyMiles members identified with a DM, PM, or GM elite-status designation, and
                        passengers holding tickets purchased under a DL corporate travel agreement will be
                        accommodated before other passengers holding tickets and/or boarding passes for
                        confirmed space in the coach cabin.
                        2) Passengers With Boarding Passes
                        Subject to the terms set forth in Rule 245(c )(1) and (4), passengers holding boarding
                        passes who check in and present themselves at the departure gate in compliance with
                        Rule 135(c) will be accommodated before passengers traveling in the same cabin who
                        have not been issued boarding passes or who fail to comply with applicable check-in
                        requirements. Subject to the availability of seats on the aircraft, boarding passes may
                        be obtained by passengers who hold tickets for confirmed reserved space in the
                        following manner:
                        a) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through the Online Check-in feature
                        on Delta.com within 24 hours of scheduled departure.

*b) for passengers traveling on electronic tickets, through a Delta airport kiosk within
                        four hours of scheduled departure
                        c) from a Delta airport ticket counter and/or the check-in desk located in the departure
                        area.
                        3) Passengers Without Boarding Passes
                        Passengers, who are not governed by Rule 245(c)(1) or (4), with confirmed reservations
                        who have not been issued a boarding pass and present themselves at the departure
                        gate in compliance with rule 135(c) will be accommodated according to the following
                        priority rules:
                        a) Passengers who have been rebooked to the present flight as a result of an irregular
                        operation (e.g., delay, cancellation) of a previously booked flight.
                        b) SkyMiles members identified with a Silver Medallion (“FO”) elite-status designation.
                        c) Passengers with a SkyTeam Elite or Elite Plus status.
                        d) Passengers without any elite-status designation.
                        Within each of the foregoing groups, passengers are prioritized first by class of service
                        and then by time of check-in."

The issue here is that the guy had ALREADY BOARDED...
                        Refusing to transport & overselling are 2 different things...So is capacity & each are addressed under separate rules (for delta anyway)...the rules can be enforced independently or in conjunction with other rules

They can refuse to transport for alot of reasons...drunk, loud, saying something insulting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RodinaRan View Post
                          Refusing to transport & overselling are 2 different things...So is capacity & each are addressed under separate rules (for delta anyway)...the rules can be enforced independently or in conjunction with other rules

They can refuse to transport for alot of reasons...drunk, loud, saying something insulting, etc.
                          None of which he did... and obviously he wasn't an extra on the flight if his butt was already in a seat... i posted both parts because he didnt fit into the denied boarding part because he was already on board so then it would have to fall back to refusal to transport...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Problem is once your butt hits the seat, then the game changes for folks in their mind...this should have been handled before they all boarded. Leave it in the lobby/gate. Good gosh, can't someone freak'n count??

It was really stupid of them to not keep upping the offer till someone bit. Man, if I owned an airline there would have been a cash offer starting at $100 & bumped up $100 every minute till someone accepted. Keep going at the accepted number till the number needed are off the plane. Everyone is happy & life goes on.

What's the new bill gonna cost them...unacceptable actions. I don't fly much but as a guy who lives & breathes customer service?? How could you assault a paying customer for the services you offered to provide and then failed??

I bet this never would have happened before 9-11...I loathe commercial travel ever since. So glad I don't have to fly very often.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I would have left peacefully, but my final free speech would have been: "I believe in fate & don't wanna be on a plane that crashes...adios!!"
                            In all honesty....it was worse before 9-11...port pass, tsa-pre, global entry programs have taken away some of the airline "discretion" in putting their rules/contracts in action...esp true of international travel

I have literally sat on a flight where they removed the passenger (at the passenger's request), but refused to de-plane that passenger's carry-on bag....needless to say...i requested to be de-planed & rebooked
                            Last edited by RodinaRanč; 04-10-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

The other question is this. If it was you getting screwed and kicked off, how would you handle it?

A) be understandably mad, argue your case then leave peaceably swearing to never fly with them again. Write letters of complaint, blog about it and tell everyone you know.
                              B) lay on the floor and act like a toddler throwing a fit at WalMart because MeeMaw won't by you gummy bears

Have some self respect dude.
                              Last edited by jerp; 04-10-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Not if i'm in business to make $ it isn't...in any business you won't make 100% of folks happy 100% of the time...

& I respectfully disagree...if i pay $100k yr to an airline & you pay $300...i should take precedence over you on a flight...i'm simply a better customer, even if i pay less than you on 1 particular flight
                                Neither should get kicked off...one is agreeable to compensation from the airline & walks off on his own satisfied.

You do not ever assault a paying customer for his peaceful purchase...you compensate him for what they will agree, or you pay much more in legal fees & get horrible feedback on social media.

Either that or you suck at business...this is going to hurt united for a while. I bet cancellations are happening now.

Comment

Working...
                                X