No announcement yet.

With all this rain, watch out for the "Raft of Pain!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lewisville dam bursts and 500,000 trillion fire ant rafts gonna descend on Dallas and parts south. There could well be a fire ant raft extending several hundred miles wide moving at 20 mph. Run for your life. Not enough gasoline in Texas to burn them all."

What a nightmare scenario that would be. It also would make a great B-movie horror flick - kinda like "Sharknado!"except with ants

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
      Perfect time to spread diatomaceous earth all over them
      What does the DE do? I'v never heard of putting it on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanite View Post
        It cuts them up. Microscopic razor blades. Or so it was explained to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
          It cuts them up. Microscopic razor blades. Or so it was explained to me.
          HUH...... Good slow death from 1000 cuts..... I like it. We have a lot here at the office. I think I'll help myself to some. Does it work on Red Ants also?

Comment

HUH...... Good slow death from 1000 cuts..... I like it. We have a lot here at the office. I think I'll help myself to some. Does it work on Red Ants also?
            Yessir. It will.

Comment

Quick Google search:

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a dust-like product that contains the crushed fossilized algae (diatoms) from fresh water. These crushed diatoms feel like powder when we rub it in our hand. But it’s very sharp to insects with delicate exoskeletons. When you apply DE, dust is ingested by the crawling insect or the insect crosses through the powder. The DE will cut their exoskeleton. This causes the insect to dehydrate and die. Insects cannot develop a resistance to it since there are no chemicals to which they can build up immunity.

Comment

leave the red ants alone! they keep the horny toads alive...

I'm curious about the Lewisville dam situation, ray bob is HIGH HIGH HIGH... and more rain coming...

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                  Quick Google search:
                  only issue is it has to actually get ON THEM, so the residual effect isn't great.

personally the bear burner and torching rafts sounds like good fun

Comment

Already posted but DE cuts the exoskeleton on insects. Harmless to humans. A great organic product if you do not want chemicals. Excellent for dogs or cats if they have fleas.

Comment

[QUOTE=catslayer;10047263]leave the red ants alone! they keep the horny toads alive...

Don't worry about that. I love the Horny Toads. I just get the ones by the house.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        leave the red ants alone! they keep the horny toads alive...

I'm curious about the Lewisville dam situation, ray bob is HIGH HIGH HIGH... and more rain coming...
                        Serious situation that could develop.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 05-12-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Wasn't there a MacGuyver episode with like a trillion ants and he burned them or something?

Comment

I usually toss an M60 right on the center of those floating ant islands.

Comment

I got fresh mounds popping up all over the pasture behind my house as I type. I'm going to wait a day or two before putting the poison to them. Hate em!

Comment

I've been hitting them with insecticide since they started surfacing a couple of months ago. I hate fire ants.

Comment

Working...
                                X